1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some people are awesome!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steam Giant, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

Google Maps announced that they were going to be updating their satellite pictures of Hazleton, PA, a city near mine. Someone living there caught wind of this, and decided to do something that a satellite would see. I forget what they used, but the ultimate result was a not-too-realistic-looking phallic symbol, carved onto their stadium's field!

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=2016

Want to see it for yourself? Go to http://maps.google.com/ and type 'hazleton' into the search field. Click the 'satellite' tab and zoom in. It's up and to the right of where it'll put you.

'They' tried to cover it up before Google took its pictures, but it rained the day before and washed the material away. Hazleton's city government is trying to appeal to Google to re-shoot the images, but Google's got a schedule and a budget, so a re-shoot isn't likely!

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Yes, there was a giant penis on top of a school building in my city that was never noticed untill someone google imaged it lol.

3. Nicknikko

4. biisme

yea...our football stadium is like down a hill from the high school--the school lik overlooks it...

guess what someone made a pic of on the field after the first snowstorm?

5. sdc91

Haha, that's hilarious.

Any publicity is good publicity, I suppose.

6. CrimsonThunder

How immature.
    I thought it was funny. ^^

7. Steam Giant

Trooooooooooll! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol j/k

Seriously, though, while I personally don't find the defacing particularly amusing, the fact that it's going to be on Google Maps for a while is simply amazing! Also, you really need to know what Hazelton's government is like to find this as funny as I do ^^ very conservative, hehe!

8. CrimsonThunder

Someone from a different forum put me on Google Maps you could get my email from Google Maps and I don't know what other information (I think my name) but it was really annoying because I didn't know about it and all of a sudden heaps of random people added me to msn saying "I used to live near you", kinda scary trust me. Anyways I ended up Emailing Google and they removed me, but they had to do a refresh first or something.

9. surfrboykai

omg, that is so rad! i wish i could do something like that haha

10. posterchild

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww..
    I wish I had thought of that..

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I bet if someone wrote "GOOGLE SUCKS" in the grass they'd rephotograph it....

12. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Hahaha. ROFLMAO.
    It lacks some detail, though.

13. xxAngelOnFirexx

hey thats what they get for invading are privacy!! i never signed a wager saying they could photogragh my house! i mean you can seen the car and what color it is perfecting in the driveway, you can see neighbors tampolines and pools in their backyard. its big brother i tell ya! freaky!

14. Steam Giant

Hahaha yes! I think they'd fit that into the budget ^^ under "retaining our public image," hehe!

Oh I know. You can see every detail of my neighborhood too, ever since they re-shot it. You can even see my roomate's car. It's neat, it really is, but I have no idea how they arranged the legalities to allow them to do this. You'd think out of what, 6 billion people on earth (actually higher now but we don't have accurate data beyond that), nobody's been offended enough to find a way to stop them?

As far as Big Brother is concerned, their KH satellites are capable of zooming in to the point that they can read a newspaper in somebody's hands. This has been made public. What's also been verified (probably because the NSA would hate to get caught red handed doing this) is that at least one KH satellite is parked in stationary orbit above the US.

I'm just waiting for a CCTV program to be proposed. I don't care how useful that is for local police, I don't want cameras watching me on the streets!

15. SlickyPants

That's hysterical! haha...

I really don't see the problem with Google doing what it does. I see it being no different than my neighbours being able to see over my fence or people on the sidewalk being able to see in my windows.

If people don't like it, then close your curtains, build a taller fence or build a roof over your property.