1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My County just made English its "Official Language"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beachboi92, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Beachboi92

I am super sick and tired right now but before i crash i'm gonna just rant a little bit.

Note: there is a lot of sarcasm in this post and i do not have any negative opinions of non-english speaking people or immigrants but i am caricaturing the apparent views that some Frederick County citizens and political officials have.

My County just declared English it's official language! That means no government or other county documents or resources will be required to be available in other languages (mainly spanish). The measure was supported by 2 people who don't even live here and despite huge opposition from tons of locals passed anyways! yeah for representatives listening to constituents (not). Oh and did i mention that we are the same county who until last year didn't provide any protection in schools for LGBTQ students despite a 3 year old state mandate because they just didn't see it as an issue that needed addressed. My bumfuck county makes me sick sometimes. These non-english speaking people they are cutting out of the political process are not all fucking illegal immigrants stealing jobs. In fact many are local business owners! The stereotypes about racial minorities in my community are so disgusting and the fact that my community would allow for CITIZENS of the county to be denied equal access to the government, services, and information because they decided that they need to learn english is ridiculous. I'm sorry i don't recall reading the part in the constitution where they say "minority rights don't matter" or "if you don't speak our language then fuck you get out," or "immigrants are all illegal job stealing thugs who are to lazy to learn english." Of course English is suuuucchhhh an easssssyyyy language especially to learn later in life (sarcasm, ours is one of the most nonsensical and learning any language is difficult especially later in life) so why should we be required to find the english part of documents or pay any money towards them be translated. let's jut make all the minorities purchase rossetta stone, and if they can't well they can't speak english so they are basically totally cut out of the governmental process so we don't have to listen to them anyways! Never mind the massive spanish population in Frederick County. Screw the idea of funneling money into programs to help people who don't speak english, or speak it as a second language, learn it better. Lets just institutionalize them not being represented!

Like i said they are all just illegal immigrants anyways and don't deserve rights as citizens!

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::***::***::***::***::***::bang::bang::***:

2. Emberstone

what a pointless waste of time and money. Why dont they create jobs instead of masterbating to ego stroking culture wars.

3. NickT

Breeeeeathe

4. Mogget

It could be worse. My entire state has tried to pass (and may have succeeded, I'm not sure, I know our Supreme Court through it out) a law that not only made English the official language, but also forbade state workers from speaking in another language while on the job. So basically if I were a state clerk and a Hispanic person wanted my help, I would have been legally forbidden to talk to him in Spanish.

5. Beachboi92

I hate party politics but god damn republicans are making it hard on me… every day i get more disgusted with the people running our country, especially republicans. I sat in on the Maryland legislative session on marriage equality, i wanted to start screaming at how ridiculously disgusting of a site it was to watch the supposed leaders of my state interact… although i will say at least most of the democrats where actually paying attention to what was going on rather than txting and carrying on side conversations. The only part everyone seemed attuned to was when they announced information on the senate versus house basketball game… i almost shat myself.

6. Fiddledeedee

Can't it just have two official languages, so that everything is bilingual?

7. Mad Man L

Is it that big an issue, really?

When you go to a country, you are expected to know the language, correct? Then really, this is just reinforcing that. English is a 'world language' - most people in the western world know enough English to communicate with others. While they're not all illegal immigrants, if we went over to live in Mexico, would you expect that everything which we need be in English? That everybody speaks fluent English, and that everybody bends over backwards to meet the needs of a minority? No.

Despite the fact we have immigrants from China etc., we do not have everything printed in Chinese, despite the fact that in some suburbs in Brisbane have quite large Chinese populations.

And before you say "This means you're anti-gay rights etc." No, it doesn't. The fact that Adam Steve and Steve Adams of WeHateGod, Sydney are having gay buttsecks and want marriage doesn't impact me. Having all the things which come with making Spanish an 'official language' does.

8. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Having an official language is pointless and is usually used as a wedge issue.

I think if a government needs to make an issue out of it that they are out of genuine ideas.

9. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like it must be election season...someone needs to establish a record.

Sorry to hear about it. I'd feel the same way if I was there (and, living in Arizona, I think it's safe to say I can sympathize :lol:slight_smile:. I also, in theory, don't like the idea of party politics, but like you, I find that the right makes it hard for me to avoid it... :eusa_doh:

10. olides84

Ugh. Austin (beachboi) I so agree with you. In my opinion, support of English Only laws is basically racism, pure and simple. It's no different than the Chinese exclusion laws, or Japanese internment, or African slaves, all black marks on US history. Even old farts complaining that the telephone system offers "press '2' for spanish" is just racism.

The process of assimilation in the US has been the same for probably 200 years now. Immigrants come into the community, and they might not speak (much) English and it might be difficult for them to learn (or maybe they don't even try). Their kids go to school and learn English but maybe speak another language at home. The kids of those kids grow up in an English speaking home, and sometimes can barely speak their grandparents language. No one sticks fully to the original language, because opportunity is limited in the USA when you can't speak English, and the key reason that immigrants come is so their children can have these opportunities. So we shouldn't punish them or ridicule them if the immigrants can't speak the language well.

/rant

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I'm not sure about English being a difficult language to learn. Our language is a little like Russian, as it is spoken by indigenous speakers of Russian, in that we are extremely loosy-goosy with word order and grammar, in practice. I can understand non-native speakers of English just fine.

And heck, I don't mind dealing with people who don't speak my language at all. It's not all that much trouble to work out a temporary pidgin or something with someone I have to interact with regularly. I don't mind learning a few words of another person's language. I don't consider it an invasion or anything. It's kind of neat.

So, anyway, I think it's very nice and helpful if a government agency puts things out in different languages. I think it's something that ought to be encouraged and praised where it's done. It's a very nice way of showing consideration and presenting a welcoming atmosphere to people from elsewhere in the world...or, in some cases, non-English parts of our country.

So...I find "press 2 for Spanish" to be heart-warming. I consider my country's tradition of hospitality, in this respect, to be a mark of great pride. I ultimately think it's silly that so many people get so mad and bothered over it, on either side of it.

12. Jonathan

I am actually writing my current paper on this topic of whether or not immigrants should have to learn English in the United States. Would you happen to have a link to an article about this?

13. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. :thumbsup:

I hope you argue in favor. In my country immigrants are not obligated to learn the language (Dutch), so basically no one really learns it. As a result, we have a huge population of immigrants, especially from Turkey and Morocco, who barely speak Dutch. It's freaking annoying. If I have an electrician coming over, I want him to be able to communicate with me about how to fix the problem. Even at the supermarket you'll find people who just can't help you with anything because of the language barrier. And I think it's ridiculous, because it's my country, so they should adjust to my language, not the other way around. :bang:

I really have strong opinions about this, because this is actually quite an issue in my country, because of the lack of a law saying anything about language. I'd do anything for a law the op described. Come live over here for a week and I'm sure people will have a different opinion.

*This is just me, though, I respect any other opinions.

#13 justinf, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's more of an annoyance, really, so long as they don't see it fit to ever create laws enforcing a "requirement" to speak English or foster an environment of hatred against immigrants.

It's more the ill-informed political message that rights wingers in America are implying - that English is the "proper" language of America and that our Founders intended that to be the case, that silly things like this ought to be enforced in social policy, and (in some cases) the idea that Mexican immigrants are somehow second-rate citizens whom speak the "language of the Ghetto" (as Mr. Gingrich felt so inclined to point out a few years ago :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

The most annoying part of that notion for me is the idea that English is the "correct" language to speak in America, and that are Founding Fathers somehow wanted that to be the case is quite incorrect. Heck, if anything it's inherently anti-American in personal value. This government was founded upon the wish that it would not have an "official" anything - no official religion, language, social structure, universally-applied State laws (with exceptions later added), et cetera. I.e., the slogan regarding language in America ought to be "This is America, I speak whatever the hell I want." Instead we have legions of people claiming that we must be forced to speak English...

And that is my muddled rant for the day, lol..

15. Elven

Funny fact, England doesn't have an official language :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (Though the UK does)

16. Zontar

"English only" laws aren't intended to be racist. The advantages of one national language are numerous; most important of which is ensuring Americans don't have to learn a new language in order to "keep up."

A sensible alternative to existing laws, however, would be ensuring dominance of English rather than creating a monopoly. For example, codify that all documents be in English while simultaneously permitting other languages to ease assimilation while immigrants are still picking up the language. I'm not sure I see the point of outright outlawing other languages when you can simply require English as a baseline.

It's a "tyranny of the majority" kind of thing. If I were planning on emigrating to Mexico, I would waste no time in developing a mastery of Spanish.

#16 Zontar, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  17. The US as a whole doesnt have an official language although I believe it was almost German....fun fact...but dont quote me on it lol

18. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Zontar, if I were in a mostly Spanish-speaking part of the US, I am not sure I could see myself as being entitled to being spoken to in English. If I go into an authentic Mexican restaurant, I see being spoken to in English as a courtesy, and I try to smile a lot and show my appreciation. If I am in a high-Espanol neighborhood, I tend to look to the people who do speak English as go-to community-leader kinds of people.

I would also have to see more information on the repercussions of laws targeted at making one language more dominant. I am not unilaterally against these kinds of laws, but I would have to know more about how they worked in practice before weighing in on them.

19. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

20. jsmurf

I support making English the official tongue.

Not only that, I favor restoring English to what it would have sounded like 1000 years ago under the Anglo Saxons.

It was more manly than modern English.