1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jordash, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Jordash

Do you guys think it would be okay to come out in college?

I think thats when I want to. I mean, im not really hiding it now, in high school, but its not like im screaming it down the hallway neither.
    I would rather have my family not know untill im out of the house and on my own, just to avoid the awkwardness. Ya'know?
    I just want to know what you guys think about it. :slight_smile: Personal stuff might help.
    :slight_smile: Thanks!

2. Danny19

i hid it in high school... or more like didn't really bother thinking about it.. but when i got to college i felt so frustrated about hiding. so i felt like i should come out. i did and honestly people care a lot less about sexual orientation in college thank in high school.. I'm happy i waited.

but everyone is different. everyones high school is different. so its up to u. if you want to wait then thats good. if not then come out now. whatever you feel comfortable doing... good lucK :slight_smile:

3. TriCube

I was one of 2 students from my graduating class to go to the college I did. There are 35,000 student at my college, so I realistically knew no one. It was awesome because I was getting to start over with a lot of things. New friends, new hobbies, new life.

However I was in the closet (still am), and I wasn't sure I wanted out. But I think if I was open and had came out when I was a freshman, things would be a lot easier right now. Instead of "faking" straight for 2 years and then establishing friendships where now I feel like I'm lying to my friends so I don't risk losing them, I could have made friends I know for sure would like me, regardless of who I'm attracted to.

My advice is to do what you feel is right. I know, I hate answers like that, too. Maybe tell some people right off the bat, but then only tell others if they ask. Just know that if you do make friends, you might be with them for the next 4 years, maybe even longer. It might be easier to do it sooner rather than later.

4. BudderMC

The only thing to really keep in mind is that once you get past high-school, you still aren't going to be running around advertising it; in fact, you're probably less inclined to do so, since typically people are more mature and accepting by that point.

Personally (since you wanted personal :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), I waited until university to even figure out what my sexuality was, let alone come out to anyone. I knew before that I was questioning, but I told myself that I would just let it sort itself out in an environment where I knew people wouldn't care... and it did. As of now, I'm only out to friends so far, but I plan on telling the fam soon, hopefully. And overall, it's been great.

The crossroads I'm at now is the best way to tell my family. I definitely see the advantage to living somewhere else before telling them, since then you aren't dependent on staying in an area of strife if it doesn't go over well. I come home most weekends for work, so I could tell them in person, but I'd rather do it by letter so I can get all my thoughts out in a coherent fashion. But the way I see my family seeing it when I tell them (your fam may very well differ) is that they'll say that I'm 'avoiding' them and the topic by staying down at school as much as possible (even though I do that already, for different reasons). All in all that's not a huge problem, especially compared to some of the potential issues with coming out while at home, but it's still on my brain.

Would I personally tell them if I was living at home? No chance. I doubt the reaction would be negative, but even if it's remotely awkward, I don't want to be stuck somewhere when I really need some time and space to clear my head.

5. Cascade

I think that college would be better just because everyone generally has a clearer mind about who they are and want to be at college. You get a feeling of independence that you don't quite from high school.

6. Katelynn

For the moost part, a lot of people in college & university tend to be much more open-minded or just dont concern themselves with other people's personal lives. Thats what makes college so much better - most people just let you be you. Im not going to guarantee that every single solitary person is cool about things, but for the most part, it tends to be much better than high school. People are a bit more mature about stuff like people being gay, since college is, in some ways, part of being exposed to the real world. Im completely out to everyone I go to college with & not one person reacted negatively when I came out to them. A few of them have even been hugely supportive & a couple of them are even excited to watch me transition. Deciding if you want to come out at college is ultimately your decision alone, but if you choose to, you will be doing it in a better environment than doing it in high school would be. Although, you may also want to consider the college as well, as there are private colleges that do have issues with LGBT students as well...

7. Merlot

Hell yes is what I think(!)

8. Zontar

College is where you let it all out.

9. Gallatin

I waited until university to come out. I didn't even consider it in high school - hell, it took me until the start of this school year (my second) for me to even start coming out. But yeah, to echo the general consensus, people are generally pretty accepting and tolerant at university.

10. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I think college would be a fine time. You never really have set people to be with you all year round, unlike high school or grade school. I'm planning to do so after I graduate.

11. Bowie

College is usually a great place to come out to.

12. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    Yeah I agree, I've come out a bit in college because I've met ppl who are out.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out in college too. College is a more accepting place that high school because people are more mature. My college also has a huge LGBT campus pride group, so that helped too.

14. starfish

I didn't come out until after college. I wish I had out during college.

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea, do it during college, right from the start if you can. Don't miss out meeting women while you're young and can just have fun. :thumbsup:

16. needshelp

the best place you can come out and be yourself at. use it to your full advantage.