1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ah, innocence...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Christiaan, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Sometimes, I wish that I could still judge and evaluate the world in terms of simple principles and precepts. I sometimes wish that "morally right" meant something definite, rather than being something that never seems to be quite figured out. I wish, sometimes, that I had never been in a situation where everything I believed in didn't seem to apply. There are times that I wish that I could be innocent again.

I once was a primitive ape who played with sticks. From time to time, I would knock down a fruit, and I would eat it, skin and all, getting the life-giving nutrients from the skin and pith unthinkingly as I savored the delectable flesh. Once I had tired of the fruit, I would toss the remainder of it into some soft peat, knowing in my heart there would always be more fruit, not caring why. I would then make a new game out of throwing stones and perhaps knock down more fruit.

Then I grew up, and I believed that I knew things. I was very proud of myself. I felt so grown-up, thinking about how much I knew. I knew that I needed the fruits from the trees to nourish my body, so I didn't just play with sticks mindlessly anymore. Instead, I would knock them down, or I might use a thrown stone if the fruits were too high up to reach with a stick. I knew that I had to eat the rinds off of the fruits and not just the flesh, so I could be healthy. I knew that I ought to save some of the fruit and some of its seeds and bury them in soft peat, so there would be more fruit trees later on. I really knew what was up, and I felt so smart.

I had a time when I was a philosopher, and I didn't just eat the fruit. I thought about the fruit. I thought about all of the different kinds of fruit there were and how some fruits were orange and others red. I divided them up into different categories, and I created a system for naming them. My means of reaching these fruits also became more sophisticated: I built all kinds of tools and machines to help bring down my fruits in the most advanced possible manner. I was truly an advanced creature, and I thought very highly of myself.

And now I just look longingly at sticks and stones, and I think about how nice they are to play with.

Sometimes, I get frustrated with people who try to impose their own ideas on the natural world. I feel an urge to tell them, "you are making things far too hard and complicated." However, then I remember that I just want them to be my friends. I like having friends. So I keep my mouth shut.

2. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is real deep, dude. Sweet, I love it...