1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your outlook on Mardi Gras/LGBTQI pride parade

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Carpe Diem, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just wondering what EC has to say about the gay pride parade in general because there is one in my area next week (Sydney Mardi Gras).

Here are some questions to get the ball rolling:

1. What's your outlook on gay pride parade?
    2. What do you think of the parade held in your area?
    3. How do you feel about participating/attending one?

Here are some general info about Sydney Mardi Gras in case you are wondering:
    Sydney Mardi Gras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.mardigras.org.au/

It's a huge event and I heard that Kylie Minogue is going to be part of this year's parade. I'm just not sure if I'm going to turn up for this one. In fact, I've only attended one of it so far (several years ago when I gradually started to come out). I don't really fancy such parades despite understanding the importance of it.

2. maverick

Eh...I understand the importance of pride parades, but I am introverted and feel very claustrophobic/uncomfortable in large crowds...:icon_redf

That being said, there aren't many pride parades in my state anyway, but even if there were, I don't know if I could ever get up the nerve to go to one.

Luckily I'm about to move to Dallas, Texas, where the mayor has marched *in* the gay pride parade two years in a row, so maybe I will stick my neck out once I relocate and check it out. I'm very excited to move to such a large city in any case, it will be much easier to find a diverse LGBT community there I think.

#2 maverick, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. starfish

I what does the I stand for?

Back to the question. I did not go to the pride parade last year because of my back problem. The previous 2 years I enjoyed going.

#3 starfish, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  5. Beachboi92

I personally love pride. The whole environment is just so fun. Every pride i leave having met new cool people many whom i am still friends with and every pride i've ended up having a ton of fun. To me it is like there is no place where i can be more myself without worrying about the people around me judging. It is like it is the only place in the world where not only do you not have to worry about being LGBT but it's celebrated! To me you just can't beat the sense of community and obviously PRIDE! It's just so fun because you can sort of do what you want and not worry about people being judgmental. I remember one pride it was really really hot (like 110 degrees) so me and my friend decided to gay it up and i borrowed my friends short shorts and we both did short shorts and a tank top and got drunk and played spin the bottle with 30 people (girls and guys our age) in the center of Dupont circle in DC xD Also its a fun way to meet other gay guys because it's just like a giant party :grin:

6. sanguine

YAY im going to my first mardi gras this year :grin: so excited, planned it with my friends, although they were uncomfortable, they wanted to go see lesbians LOL

7. Skyfire13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been to two Syndey Mardi Gras Pride Parades and I have to say that I have mixed emotions on them. On the one hand it is great seeing so many gay or gay-friendly people in one place at one time celebrating the idea of Pride. For some, it is a pilgrimage - an event that binds the gay community together because all aspects of the gay community can be involved in the whole parade. People refer to years by the Pride parade and not the other events that actually occurred in that year. It is a uniquely 'Gay' event - "Straight Pride" just doesn't hold the same mystique or allure that this parade does.

On the other hand, Pride has a much darker, meaner streak to it that I have never been able to reconcile. What 'mean streak' might you say? Namely that it becomes just about sex (and the many variations therein). Discussions related to the parade always seem to gravitate to who had the sexiest body, who starved themselves, who got pissed drunk or was coked up at the afterparty...that cluster of conversation topics. The Sydney Mardi Gras Parade becomes a spectacle where you only watch when the surf lifesavers walk by in their speedoes or the drag queens with their elaborate costumes and not about the entire community coming together year after year--there are no expressions of artwork (other than the (mostly) male form) anywhere in the parade. Also, there is a huge emphasis on the circuit parties afterwards--come to the Sydney Opera House for 'cocktails', under 21's (or was it under 18's) come to this party--('we have free condoms'-was the text on a lot of invitations sent out), other assorted pamphlets with pretty obvious illicit drug and sex metaphors on them and all with the theme of having the least of amount of clothes possible (beach party theme, bathtub theme, bubble theme, etc).

Is getting ridiculously drunk and/or drugged up while grinding some random dude in a dark club (and afterwards for some) supposed to be point of Pride?

Also, I get bothered by how much trash and broken bottles there are at the end of Parade and that no one seems to give a shit about it on their way to the afterparties....but that is just me I guess.

8. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel you bro. You're not the only one. It's the same thing with the new year celebration. Thankfully the sweepers will be there to clean the streets the next day.

9. lostinthought9

When I first saw this thread, I thought you were talking about Louisiana's Mardi Gras, and my reaction was: "HELL YEAH!" Buuuuuut, you're referring to something else. I've never been to a pride event, but I'd like to attend one someday. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. IanGallagher

I just don't understand it, thereby don't participate. I don't celebrate liking girls, why should I celebrate liking guys? I could also be accused of wanting to blend in and being part of the straight community though despite being bi. In that case I relate a lot to Xavier in 'X-Men: First Class' in feeling the need to participate, but keeping it restrained as to my own principles and wanting to blend in. I just don't get it. I'm of the thought in which I'd rather be seen as the same, just a tad different and all pride parades do is further stress the differences rather than the similarities.

#10 IanGallagher, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  11. sanguine

hmmm i think its more of an expression that isnt necessarily just celebrating liking guys or girls, i use to wonder how the hell does parading half naked across the streets going to change anything, but now when i think about it, its more like showing the world that you dont give 2 shits about what they think, being proud.

after all the sweetest revenge is to show people you can live a life full of happiness, then rub it in all the haters faces, i think its deserving after all the discrimination that's happened to the LGBT everywhere

12. IanGallagher

Even then, I don't see black people throwing black parades - they had to deal with slavery and being hanged for being black. Just saying, it's not my thing, never will be and why I feel that way. I just think it focuses people's attention too much on "what's different" vs. "what's the same."

13. IrishJ

We, my family and I walk in our local gay pride parade every year. My family is pro-gay/pro choice etc, yet I am closeted. I feel Pride being able to help celebrate our communities day of acceptance while still sheltered in my own closet.

Only problem here is the company that sponsored cardboard trash cans had them prominently located on on the parade route which included our middle and high school parking lot. Lots of families, not sure I felt like explaining Lube to my kids.