1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't get why...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDude, Feb 28, 2012.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents are so obsessed with me getting a girlfriend (mainly my dad). They ask me why I don't have a girlfriend as if it were the most important thing in the universe. Even if I were straight, why can't I be alone. This really gets me because not only I'm not out but I can't think of a good anwser. Why does it have to be a girlfriend in the first place? Why do they always point out those who are currently dating someone and I'm not? It gets so awkward when this conversations come up. Ugh. Even my grandma sometimes is
    [​IMG]

I wish they would someday pick up the fact that I'm not like every kid and say instead 'You know you can tell us anything'. That would be like my dream come true.

#1 TheDude, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Cascade

It's because they've already built up a picture of your life in their mind and they want it to come true. Sure it's unreasonable, but everyone has a picture of a life for someone they love.

You can usually tell your parents anything, that's one of those unspoken rules between a child and their parents, unless of course they are abusive. Parents are people and they love their children (again, there are exceptions) and no matter what they will usually support you even if it's not something they originally thought would happen.

3. Artemicion

Ugh...my dad is like this ALL THE TIME, even when I talk to him on the phone. It drives me insane. But I think the original reason that they do it is probably because of societal norms that they grew up with.

Side Note: My dad probably went overdrive when I told him I was gay over the phone. This resulted him going into denial in regards to me and continues to pester me with girlfriend related questions.

4. sanguine

oh god i can relate, i told my parents i was gay and now my dads always pestering me about going out with that girl thats always grabbing on to my arm (happens to be a very good friend of mine also one of the only girls i hang with). My mum is also coming to terms with it in her own way, but she either doesnt talk about it or tries to bargain with me

5. Jordash

My parents pester me about not having a boyfriend, I always just tell them "I'll love who I love" and leave it at that. (I have a girlfriend btw) :grin:

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My parents are the same way!!! Always saying "Get a boyfriend already!"

7. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hehe my parents think i run a harem or something....im not out to them which im working on a way to tell my family without it feeling as awkward as possible. would've been great if i had the courage to tell them in the theatre a couple weeks ago after a show when it just so happened that one of my friends waved at me (obviously this means we have a thing going) and then in conversation the stage manager was mentioned (obviously this means we have a thing going) and then when a girl from my high school comes by my brother looks at me and says "who is that?" me "person from highschool" bro "she's hot you should date her" honestly i wish my family would go back to the "do you have a girlfriend yet?" because thats was always followed by "boyfriend or significant other" unfortunately i wasn't comfortable with who i was then >.<