1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook and groups

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Feb 29, 2012.

1. BudderMC

'Sup EC!

Basically, I'm in a couple of different closed groups that are school-related that I'd like to do a quick, nonchalant coming out post in. The only thing is that I also have a bit of family on Facebook who I haven't told yet, and would much rather tell personally.

So, I'm wondering, does anyone know how privacy in groups works? I can't set my family to be on their own list all of a sudden, because they'd notice and want to know if something's up. I'm mostly curious to know that if I post in these closed groups that they can't see it and it won't show up on my newsfeed or something.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that as long as you post in a closed group it will not show up. I've posted a ton of stuff in my school's Pride page and none of my family has said anything about it.

3. Loras

I wuldnt recomend coming out to people on FB It just seems to easy for somebody you dont want to know to see what you have written

4. steel03

If it's a closed group, people outside it can't see it.

I actually came out on Facebook with my status. If you click the little gear underneath the text box, then click Custom, you can control exactly who sees it and who doesn't. I had a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list of people who didn't see that post.

5. BudderMC

Well, I just posted. Maybe I'll do an excited thread in the "coming out" section tomorrow, after people actually read it.

Basically though, I don't need all of Facebook to see right now. One group was a group of our friends from rez last year. The other group is the rez I was leading Welcome Week for this year; I only posted there because I felt bad about not being as good a role model as I could have been, by not being 'out' for WW.

But thanks though guys for the replies. :grin: