1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

February 29

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cascade, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Cascade

Today only rolls around once every 4 years so I think it's a good time to reflect on who you are now and compare that person to the person of 4 years ago and speculate on the person 4 years from now, the next time this day shows up.

Here's my thoughts:

4 years ago I was only in Grade 10, and I wasn't a very happy person. School was boring, I rarely saw my friends and I was depressed. I hadn't really come to terms with my sexuality so that was probably a factor. I was worried about the future, getting my first job and getting the marks necessary to be accepted into university. My social life was atrocious, I just lived on the internet and never talked to anyone.

Today I'm really quite pleased with how I am doing, life is fine. I still don't have a relationship but at least I have an idea of who I am and those horrible teenage years will soon be behind me. I'm much more social and have a wide variety of friends that I'm pretty close to.

4 years from now I would like to be almost done with university; or still in university, trying to finish a doctorate. It'd be nice if I was out by then, I have a feeling I will be, as I'm getting more self-confidant by the day. Hopefully I will have a plan with what to do in life but probably not.

How about you?

2. Hexagon

4 years ago I was a depressed aspie girl excelling in school, and failing in relationships. I was also cutting.

4 years from now, I will be in university (one hopes), have had surgery, and still be an aspie.

3. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had my ups and downs, and now that I think about it, they all coincided with this particular day, but I never paid any attention to the date. 4 years ago, I had been in quite some trouble, I was actually on Juvie probabtion(don't ask). Today is an up for me...Some many of things that are going on with my life are so good, I just can't help but imagine that these last four years have been the longest. I'm on the brink of my first relationship, as an openly gay man. I'm siging for classes at the local college, which is something I've always wanted to do, but never had the guts to break free of the chains my family had on me. I'm now in Califonia, and I had been in Florida my whole life. I'm already thinking about the upcoming year, and all of the things it promises me. 2012 feels like it's my year to shine, and the day it all started? February 29 people ^.^

4. Loras

This is a good idea i think!
    4 years ago i was in my final year of school and didnt have a clue were i was heading in life. I was depressed and managed to land myself in hospital from an overdose. Now im in my final year of university to become a teacher :slight_smile:

5. FJ Cruiser

This is a really cool idea, using Leap Day to reflect on how much you've changed.

Four years ago, I was a freshman in high school. At this time during the year, I think we were struggling through Great Expectations in English; I was struggling through social situations, building a loose group of friends at my new school; and I was working hard at tennis so I could get on the varsity team. I was wanting a girlfriend because that's what was supposed to happen at that age, but I was strangely disinterested in every single girl, and what I looked at on the computer didn't match. I refused to acknowledge anything though.

Nothing was really wrong in my life, but I felt trapped and dissatisfied, particularly because I seemed to not be enjoying myself as much as everyone else around me, just trudging through life. In retrospect it's because I had very little sense of self, and my orientation issues contributed to that. I remember wishing that every time I went to sleep, I would wake up next to my wife, and that this was all some strangely vivid dream (I was a weird like that.). I wanted to get out of my hometown and my current situation so bad.

Now I'm more confident, have a better sense of self, and doing better socially than ever before. I'm finally at an age where I can make things happen on my own accord (as in, I'm planning on studying abroad). Schoolwork is a b***h though, and it's very stifling. Just 3 1/4 more years though, and I'll be free to travel/explore/make money like I want to.

Four years from now, I'm hoping to be using my degree to do philanthropic work abroad, couch surfing, exploring the world, and finding adventures. Cheesy as it might sound, if I keep up my work, I'll be able to do it. Having a realistic and awesome end goal in mind makes the present drudgery so much more bearable.

6. Emberstone

just beware, leap year is not always a good thing:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAWUJCjgQE[/YOUTUBE]

7. starfish

So I was in the middle of the project from hell. Let's not think about that anymore.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually doing alright four years ago. Sure, I had this whole "I'm not straight" issue in the back of my head, but my worry over that hadn't come to the forefront of my mind yet - so I was just chillin', basically. Pep band for our horrible football team, then pep band for our awesome basketball teams - divisional and state tournaments... all-nighter halo parties in our hotel rooms ...

Really good times :slight_smile:

Then I started the self-hate phase of coming out and went into the emotional dumpster... But hey, at least there were some fun times, lol.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    4 years ago I was a freshman in high school. I'm now a freshman in college. I never thought that I would have to come out, because at this point I did not know that I was bisexual. I just tried to fit in at school (which didn't work most of the time.) Because I tried to fit in, I threw some of my friends under the bus. I have since reconnected with those people and we are good friends again.

I was just beginning to question my sexuality. It was hard for me because I had gone to a church that hated homosexuals. I thought that if I was not straight, then I was some type of mistake. This sent me into an emotional hell that lasted until the end of my Junior year. It stopped my senior year because I decided that I needed open myself up the fact that I was not straight.

Now, I don't go to church at all. Honestly, I've been happier since I stopped going. I don't think that they realized that kicking me out would not bother me at all. I'm proud that I had the courage to stand up to them and say that I am bisexual(I did not know that I was bigendered at this point). I never thought that I would be able to do that.

10. Jessica816

4 years ago I was 19, and so confused about anything and everything. I just taken over full responsibility of taking care of my mother. So to say I was overwhelmed is a giant understatement of the year.

4 years later I'm 23 and am fully out as gay to everyone in my life. Still taking care of my mother and that's a huge struggle but ive gotten better over the years. I'm nowhere close to where I want to be in life, but I'll figure it all out at some point.

11. Mad Man L

4 years ago I was in Year 8. I was still religious, was yet to have my innocence significantly ruined, believed myself to be straight (I hadn't hit puberty yet really, or had only just), lived in my old house, and was cruising along in life. Everything was relatively stable, but only being 1 month into Year 8 (first year of secondary school), nothing was really concrete. I started to realise what worked in Year 7 wouldn't work in Year 8, and things started to become a bit of a mess.

This was the start of the 'fall' (downward trend) of my life, which continued in varying degrees (from mild to cliff-like) until this time last year or so, bar a few months here and there. This was also around the time where (looking back) the habits which I've developed and the events of the last 4 years were set in motion.

12. vyvance

4 years ago I was in my senior year of high-school. I had just found out who my birth-mother was, and talked to her for the first time. I was still in denial about my sexuality, and was prone to overcompensation. I played varsity basketball, football, track, and tennis. I made poor grades in school, not due to my mental capacities, but due to a number of other reasons.

Today, yesterday really, I am working on my second degree in college. I received the first in Information Technology, and I am currently working towards a degree in Physics. I still haven't met my birth-mother in person, but talk to her and my half-brother via phone on occasion. I have come to terms with my sexuality, but have yet to leave the closet to anyone other than EC and a few friends on Steam. I don't play sports for my college, but I play soccer, both indoor and outdoor, as well as tennis on occasion. I'm also looking to join the fencing club/team next semester. I no longer make poor grades, and have maintained a 4.0 since starting my second degree.

4 years from now I hope to be in grad school working towards my Doctoral degree. I hope to have met my birth-mother in person by then as well. Leaving the closet and testing the water will, hopefully, have been accomplished by then too. My grades will, with lots of effort I'm sure, remain a 4.0 throughout the next four years.

13. Fiddledeedee

Four years ago I was a happy 10-year-old working towards SATs and having the time of her life in Year 6. I loved my teachers, the work was easy, and I had more friends than previously. I never wanted to leave, and I had no inking that Mum and Dad would break up, that I would be bi, or anything. I was beginning to get involved in church things, and I was... happy...

Today (yesterday, but I'll write in present tense), I'm not like that. I haven't cut for exactly two months, but I think about it every day. My relationship with Mum is foul, and I'm seening a counsellor for the first time next week or something. But there's also a lot of good in today. I know how to do may things that were only dreams back in year 6. I can stick with something, be that a long-distance friendship or NaNoWriMo. I'm finding school hard, but at the same time it's awesome. I've never been bullied, but I've had experiences that have left me with a lot more empathy. I prefer the "me" now to the "me" of four years ago.

In four years, I'll be going on 19, and hopefully at uni. I really want to go to Cambridge, but that will take a lot of work! I want to study physics there, and do all the things my brother does, like play Assassins and get cool stuff and all. I also want to be my own person, not just following my older brothers. I hope to still be Christian, still on EC, still do NaNoWriMo, still go on a Ventures camp yearly, still edit TV Tropes... I also hope to be independent and somewhere other than this town where I've lived as long as I can remember. I want to be content whereever I am, not the depressed teenager that I am now.

14. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...four years ago I was in the end of what had become a very unhealthy relationship, though I still cared deeply for the person. I was still taking classes and questioning whether I should even be in grad school.

Today I've grown a LOT from where I was - I'm almost finished with grad school (set to graduate in May!), I've spent many years single, and I've met a wonderful guy that I'm still completely excited about.

Four years from now...I only want more of what I've been getting in the past couple months. Whatever form that takes is fine with me, and I won't pretend to have complete control over it, but more of this guy and our relationship, more of my career as an academic, and more of the kinds of friends I have now would make me very happy. Oh, and if I can publish a few poems, that would be great. :grin:

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have been in school. I would have just started coming out of the closet to a few friends and my mum and sister. I was in school, I knew ultimately that I wanted to do music at university but was dreading the years going by because I was terrified of applying and not getting in. I was quite introverted back then, didn't really have a close social circle, and felt like I'd never get good enough at music to consider pursuing it. I was on grade 5 violin back then and felt that I wouldn't have enough time to make it to grade 8 by the end of school (before university).

Now I'm in my 2nd year of university. I'm pretty much completely out of the closet, except to some family members, however pretty much all of my uni friends know. I am studying music, I've done grade 8 violin and I play in shows and orchestras and sing in chorus. I'm less introverted than I used to be and have a good bunch of friends now.

16. Markio

I actually decided yesterday to write a journal entry every leap day so that I could compare my life every four years. I think it could make for a good novel.

Four years ago I was a senior in high school. Trying to be straight. Just applied to college. Now I'm a senior in college, out as gay, just applied to grad school.

17. FBXL5

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Needing true and honest guidance.

I'm a 46 year old male and have lived my entire life as a heterosexual and I'm not sure I really am. I'm pretty sure that I'm bi-sexual, but how do you relly know? I registered for this site today against my better judgement because I have a pretty cynical feeling that this site won't be real. I hope it is, because I'm just now fearing that I may lose the rest of my life without having the courage to BE bisexual. I'm really hoping bi-sexual folks can walk me through this and figure out what the truth is. Thanks for any real responses.

18. Wellie Boots

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm, 4 years ago I was 10, I was that one kid who everyone had started to ignore bacuse they no longer wanted to play pokemon with me or trade yugioh cards so I was the only one who didn't cry when We moved to secondary school a few months later because I didn't like any of them.

Now I am 14 and I have friends! And it's funny because I saw all those people in the
    summer and they are all very chavy now and mostly focused on boys and makeup so to be honest I'm glad I retained my childishness. Llife is still pretty good, I've become more nerdy and shy and my sister is still dealing with annorexia and depression so I guess I change a lot when that happened.

In 4 years I will be 18 hopefully, my sister will be better and I will of got decent qualifications and still be some otaku kid, I will hopefully be out to most of my family, although I'm planning that around 16 because they won't take it seriously otherwise.

19. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Four years ago I was a home-schooled high-school junior who had basically quit caring about a lot of things. I had no friends, no life, and no motivation. I was also pretty fat, since I'd dry my tears of loneliness with chocolate chip cookies.

Now I'm no longer in school (thank God!), I'm still pretty lonely, and don't have much of a life, but I'm at least trying to get my shit together. I lost some weight, but recently found most of it again thanks to my stupid depression. At least I've got a plan. Oh, and I cut my hair. I had long hair four years ago. Upon re-examining photos of myself, I didn't look as cool as I thought I did. xD

Four years from now I'd be happy to just be alive, and not depressed. I'd love to have a job I somewhat enjoy (like at a bookstore, or a cookware store) to pay bills while I dive into comedy. Maybe I'll be part of a sketch/improv group or something. If not that's cool too. I'll be doing stand up. I'd also like to be part of some sort of LGBT group too, to make some friends.