1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your high school prom. did you go?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by needshelp, Mar 1, 2012.

1. needshelp

and for those of you that haven't gone yet, will you go?

no. :icon_sad: guess because there were no girls that i was interested in going to prom with (go figure). one girl that i was cool with in high school was about to hook me up with a prom date but i told her not to. now that i think about it, it was probably one of her friends that really had a crush on me my freshman year of high school. she was cool and all but i never like her like that so i felt really uncomfortable when she would be sending me signs that she was interested in me. back to prom though, i think that i would have put myself into something that i didn't want or for that matter need. it probably would have made me see what i was avoiding at the time-accepting that i wasn't attracted to girls. it would have been a really bad situation all around.

#1 needshelp, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to my year 11 formal, but not my year 12 formal. I didn't feel welcome.

3. Loras

Were i come from prom isnt a big thing, defferently not as big as in amirica. First prom i went with a group of friends, second with a friend but i might as well have gone by myself. then i went to 1 more after i left school and i went with a girl that i ended up going out with.
    When i was at school 4 years ago i was no way near ready to come out.

4. Ridiculous

Nope! None of them.

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to prom 3 times, starting in sophomore year up to my senior year. I went with guys each time. My senior prom was with my best guy friend. I would've rather gone with a girl to the prom.

Even if I could find a girl to go with, same-sex couples weren't allowed to go to the prom. 2 girls tried to go once and they were not allowed. The school wouldn't allow it at all.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why?

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was disliked by the majority of people who went.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to mine and had a blast.

Though I also didn't really attach more meaning to it than "an opportunity to party one more time before we all move on in different directions". Sexuality (not that I allowed myself to even acknowledge myself as gay at the time) didn't really factor in to it.

Even date-wise, I was pretty pragmatic. I just approached a (female) friend of mine and said: "Okay, you don't want to date me and I don't want to date you. But wouldn't it be nice if we were each other's prom dates, so we can make an entrance and have a dedicated dance partner for those moments we don't have anyone else to dance with?"

I dare say it worked out pretty well! No great expectations except enjoying opurselves, and that's exactly what we did.

I don't think our school would have forbidden or even frowned too much same-sex prom dates (not that they could have: that kind of discrimination is illegal here), though it's also worth noting that there weren't any openly gay people in my class, even if about 8 people came out after highschool. The atmosphere was very much "don't ask, don't tell".

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not go, no. The only high school dance I went to was freshman year Sadies because my friend asked me and I wanted to be nice. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was too cool for school so I didnt go.

11. Artemicion

I went. But with a huge group of like 13 people in a truck limo thing lol...it never occurred to me to find anyone specific to go to prom with. Nonetheless, out of the 13 people, there were only like four guys...

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, potential social interaction + dancing = the seventh circle of Hell.

So, yeah ~ avoided dances/school formals at all costs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. TriCube

My school was so small they let both juniors and seniors attend, and I went both years. I didn't have a date junior year, just went with a group of friends. Senior year I asked my friend to be my date, but it was sort of awkward since she was from a different school and didn't know many people, but she was pretty darn attractive.

Didn't have a ton of fun. Music was mainstream garbage and everything just seemed fake. Did dance a little, even though I hate dancing. It was nice when my date played with the back of my hair when we slow danced.

14. sanguine

i went to my formal and it sucked dead dogs nuts, i felt so lame turning up, i only went cause i wanted to see some friends i might not see again for the last time, i wish i didnt either, oh well, its the thought that counts

15. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went both Junior and Senior year with the same girl.
    Both times were on the my birthday and it was fantastic.

16. Bolin

No...I'd have been surrounded by a bunch of people who didn't like me or didn't notice me, and I didn't like most of them, so I didn't see a point. Besides, I had seen too many movies and television episodes of nerds and unpopular kids getting pranked during dances and proms....I didn't want to turn into Carrie. >_>

17. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That movie was freaky as fuck.

18. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was home schooled for high school, so no. I didn't even have one to go to.

19. Shevanel

Nope, our Prom was banned a few years before, thankfully. We had another event that involved a party boat around Manhattan though. That was way better than any Prom could've been, IMO.

20. lostinthought9

Yep, I went to my senior one with one of my best friends. She knew I was gay, and had asked me. It turned out kinda fun, despite the fact that I can't dance very well. xD