1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"straight responses" to Brokeback Mountain

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dude00, Mar 2, 2012.

1. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I was curious... I've always known that the movie was gay-related, and went along with joke cracking when it did get brought up.. hell a lot of people still crack jokes about the title in homo related jokes... but it recently dawned on me, while one of my straight guy friends asked me in a joking mannor if I've ever watched the movie (didn't care of my answer, and I actually didn't get to say if I had or not anyway) but asked to just make a joke... it sort of bothered me. Since actually watching the movie, it really had nothing to do about the homosex in the tent .... but what actually happened at the end of the movie... even the "love" aspect of it.

Has anyone else taken offense to someone making a joke about the movie? I KNOW that if anyone has seen it, and cares about LGBT people, they wouldn't crack any joke about it, and since I KNOW my friend has never seen the movie and probably dosn't know about what actually happened in it, should I bring it up?

I'm still getting used to my own "gayness" and this friend was the one that I came out to first to and whose given me all the help i've ever asked for.. never ever has shown he hasn't cared whenever I'vebeen down and opened up to him.

I don't want to over think it.. and I understand that a straight guy wouldn't necessarily want to watch a movie about gay love/sex ... but Should it be a responsibility or at least something to tell him that it bothers me? i think there was a message in that movie that so many people don't know about, and they have the wrong mindset about the entire thing.

Am i stupid? lol:confused:

2. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, this seems like a topic that needs to be addressed, because all the idiots on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, don't know anything about true love. If they did, then the gay rights issues would not be an issue. Period. Ignorance is bliss, but not when something this big stares at them in the face. Straight guys that make jokes about that movie, especially those that haven't seen it don't know what went on. If they want to se what happened, then they need to see it. Everyone knows what happened in that tent( took me awhile to figure it ou myself), but the thing is that although you could hear it, you couldn't see it, so guys wouldn't have to see anything they didn't want to see. The movie was about the fear of having such a relationship in a homophobic setting.
    It speaks volumes who get the message, and even a little to those who don't.
    no, you are not stupid. but you do need to tell him that it bothers you when he cracks jokes...or you can stop hanging out with him...

3. sanguine

alot of the girls in my school did this movie for their final english paper, none of them ever spoke bad about it, alot of them said it was really sad (i havent seen the movie myself) they even got their boyfriends to agree with them

4. Bedroom Hymns

What tent scene? I haven't watched it.

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They have sex in a tent. It's honestly less graphic than many straight sex scenes in film and they don't really show much of anything at all, it's just more of a very strong implication.

It really is a very good movie, and the only reason someone would crack jokes about it is if they hadn't seen it or were blinded by homophobia the entire time.

6. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't so much concerned about the "love" aspect as even a lot of straight guys couldn't care less about straight "love" lol... it was truly more about the ending when he was killed... and you obviously know why - THAT is what bothers me. Homophobia goes as far as killing, not about the love story.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people who just see the movie as a gay love story, but I don't think any of them realize just what happened to make the actually story significant.

7. Starshine16

My mom absolutely loved the movie & cried at the very end.

My uncle thinks gays are sick and going to hell for their unatural-ness

Bet you guys know who is the homophobe in the family.

8. Shevanel

I make jokes about the movie all the time. Mainly because I found it to be extremely overrated and undeserving of the best picture Oscar that people think the film Crash robbed from Brokeback. (It didn't, Munich deserved to win it completely). I seriously didn't like it that much at all.

Even if I did like it, it's silly to get your knickers in a twist because someone may have a disagreeing opinion on something subjective like film.

Also, there is quite a bit of heterosexual romance/action in that film, to the point where the gay stuff seems to be overstated in trailers and talk about it. Obviously it's the point of them film, but if I recall correctly, they didn't explore it too much.

9. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But this is what I mean, I don't have an issue with anyone, even gays poking jokes at the love story...

To me, the more I become comfortable with my self, the more I see an issue with people making jokes about gay situations. While I understand that making cracks at two dudes banging in a tent on a mountain can be funny, and make anyone uncomfortable (gay or straight) in a funny way, AGAIN it's not the point I'm trying to make here! I couldn't care less about the love scene or the love story. I also couldn't care less about the guys feelings about the guy being killed - IT'S THE POINT OF HIM BEING KILLED that bothers me. Can anyone relate to this besides seemingly only me here?

We have organizations who make tshirts, bracelets.. hold DAYS in rememberence of those who were killed (either by others or who've taken their own life) to make awareness of the situation, but people actually make points of complaining about who should have won an oscar award or whether or not they found the story line boring.

SOMEONE has to agree with me here. Someone also has to be bothered by this, than just me. Come on!!

10. Shevanel

The guy being killed? Do you mean Jack ( Jake Gyllenhaal)? Because if so, they never say how he died. This is exactly from the plot section on Wiki, since I hadn't seen it in a long time, but I remembered he wasn't clearly murdered or anything.
    So, it's deliberately ambiguous. He died. The movie is exploitative Oscar bait is all (just like Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close this year). It's a film.

If you want to make awareness of the situation, there are far better ways to do things than Brokeback Mountain. It was never meant to be a film intending to raise awareness about all the closeted gay cowboys out there. It was just a film about closeted gay cowboys intent on pulling heartstrings.

Documentaries are far more efficient and overall better at raising awareness than any Oscar bait can. You can think I'm insensitive if you want for not giving a shit about Brokeback... but I just like better films xD

EDIT: You know what film did a great job at what you're trying to say Brokeback is supposed to be doing? Milk :slight_smile: Far better of a film, and the story actually has a majority historical basis and fact.

11. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Christ, Joey has found this thread. Lord save us all.

:rolle::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I appreciate that. It's been a few years since I've seen the movie myself, and I too believed remembering that the ending wasn't exactly accurate, however obviously I remember the "killing" part. I appreciate your point of view, as it actually has changed mine and now I won't have an asshole view anytime the movie title gets brought up. I'll continue to make jokes toward the movie now. TY. :smilewave