1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Promiscuity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mimerio, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mimerio

Sorry, Can't spell that for beans, but basically, while I was on an anonymous chat last night, someone said that gay men (not sure about women) were highly promiscuous, I've never been in a relationship before and I found that to be quite offensive, but did I jump the gun and not let him / her talk their side of the story? Is it a stereotype? or just another way of being homophobic?

2. sanguine

yes its true, even straight guys cant keep it in the pants, what makes you think gay men are any different.

and dw about stereotypes, they only apply to you if you follow them, dont take them to the heart unless someone is trying to use it to put you down. i am by all means not promiscuous, never been in a relationship, but i do know from going out, and from forums where sex is very dense, that the gay scene is full of sex unattached.

3. Bedroom Hymns

It's not true, it's a generalisation. Of course there are plenty of promiscuous gay men, but I doubt they're the majority.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Oh, but can't you see that the straights are doing all they can to cure this? They are doing things like forbidding gay marriage and making it clear to us that our commitments to our partners are worth about a ten cent bag of peanuts. What more would you have them do?

5. Mogget

It's certainly much easier for gay men to be promiscuous than straight men. Women are socialized from a young age to believe that having sex outside of a relationship makes them dirty, they also have to worry much more about being raped if they take home a stranger, or go to a stranger's homes, and people who know a woman has lots of sex will often treat her much worse. All of which means that the number of women who have casual sex is smaller than the number of women who would probably like to have casual sex.

6. jsmurf

Both straight and gay guys are naturally more promiscuous than straight and lesbian women. It's just the way nature designed us.

7. Sailorsheart

I am wondering how much of that promiscuous behavior has to do with the hunt and the gaining of another "trophy". There is excitement and satisfaction involved also. Just a thought and my own experience.

8. Emberstone

omgawd... so newt gingritch is a gay man?

Don't listen to people saying promiscuity is linked to sexual orientation. if that was true, then there would be a far lower divorce rate among heterosexuals.

I know quite a few heterosluts. only one of my gay friends would count as promiscuious.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it amusing that someone on an anonymous chat site is talking about people being promiscuous, especially given what most men are doing on anonymous chat sites :slight_smile:

10. 55

Unfortunately I was married for a few years before I realized I was attracted to men. My outlet became adult bookstores where there was a tremendous amount of casual sex. I got trapped into a very addictive cycle of promiscuity. I began to think that this is just how gay men were.

It's been nice since breaking that cycle 3 years ago (haven't touched or seen a live erection (besides my own :icon_wink) since, to learn the other side of my sexuality. Through counseling, reading, and becoming a member here, I've learned that there are men who aren't promiscuous. It's been suce a revelation!

I'll be moving into my own place in three weeks and I'm confident I won't go back to the bookstores, but it may be a struggle. I want to find someone who wants a relationship, sensual relations (rather than wham bam), and emotional intimacy. I finally believe it's out there if I just take my time and look for it.

So, yes that sterotype is out there, and for a good reason. But it's not part of what you have to be just because you're gay.

55bna

11. TriCube

Like others have pointed out, I think it's just men in general that are more likely to be promiscuous. The fact that in a gay relationship there are two men just makes it seem more probable.

12. Myturn

I guess I can't speak for all but I have been a bit promiscuous with both men and women. O guess I am a bad representative for the bi/pansexual worl.

13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gays have historically found it harder to form real relationships because of persecution by society. So, they ended up fucking eachother anonymously in toilets instead of meeting like normal people and forming normal healthy relationships.

14. Zontar

Women are also naturally commitment-oriented due to the scarcity of eggs compared to sperm. Similar to economics, with such a large supply available to them, they typically only pick the best of the best. That's why women can be promiscuous, but you'll never see them promiscuous with fat, bald, old, poorer men.

Men, on the other hand, deal with limited supply. Except if they're gay. So, naturally, two guys attracted to each other are more likely not to commit at all while two lesbians together are more likely to commit too early. That's what gives rise to the "U-haul lesbian" phenomon.

Sure, they're stereotypes, and they certainly don't apply to everyone, but they do have biological basis.

#14 Zontar, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's just as many promiscuous gays as promiscuous straights. No seriously, if we make up 10% of the population, that means there's about 90% or so who are straight lol. And if you think about it, that means the amount of straights who are promiscuous probably are the same amount of percentage amongst the 10% of us :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Mad Man L

The reason gay men are more promiscuous is because they don't have to deal with women saying no. Lets assume all men want lots of sex. With gay men, both participants (or more) want sex, so there's no problem.

Most of the reasons behind women not going around having lots of casual sex have already been stated. A lot of gay men are sluts, that's the thing.

17. Loras

I know plenty of gay guys that are and plenty that arnt