1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New words

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Hexagon

So who's for changing the words that we use to refer to ourselves? Right now, if you call yourself gay, you're setting yourself apart, and giving people a vulnerability that they can exploit if they have the indecency to do you.

But if we were to change everything, and come up with a word that means 'I like girls' and a word that means 'I like guys,' then there is no segregation, and no minority gets left out in the cold. Except bisexuals, but the word would be just as meaningless if society changed to accept it. What I mean is that all straight men use the word meaning 'I like girls' as do all gay women. No one gets labeled as 'queer' (strange) for liking a gender that half the straight population likes.

Technically, these words do exist, although they're not well known. Androsexual/romantic (guys) and Gynesexual/romantic (girls) and skoliosexual/romantic (gender queer/neutral people. NOT including transsexuals). TBH they sound a little strange to me, although I'd definitely go with it if no one made up new words.

Basically, do you want to redefine sexuality :icon_bigg

2. King

King Guest

...Sorry, you're asking if I'd want to use a new word to describe my sexuality?
    Well, no. I only actually refer to myself as gay when it's needed. Otherwise, I have no need to talk about my sexual orientation. Y'know?

3. BudderMC

I can't say I agree at all, really. Though maybe someone can change my mind.

I'm all for removing the negative connotations associated with the language we have today, but I don't think that using 'new words' is going to fix that. I almost see it like a band-aid fix: certain people are hate-driven and therefore use certain words as hateful words, so instead of fixing the hateful people, we change the words. Those words are much too 'scientific jargon'-sounding for commonplace people to use them (who are also the stereotypical crowd that has a hate for LGBT, assumed to be less intelligent and all that). If nothing else, it would sound just like a super-formal alternative to what we already have, which is gay/lesbian/queer/etc., and won't make people stop using what they already know.

Additionally, people would still definitely get labeled for using the word for 'I like ___'. I mean, why does it suddenly not become strange for a girl to use 'I like girls', just because you make a new word for it? If anything, terms like gay/lesbian/queer (to some extent) are better because they are reserved for us; I foresee ignorant straight people getting offended because lesbians are trying to use the word for 'normal guys' (or gay guys and straight girls). Not to mention bisexuals still get left out by this, kinda.

And really, we're growing up in a new generation (in a lot of places) where LGBT-phobia is being phased out as the older generations phase out alongside it. For all the time and effort it would take, and all the political battling that would need to be done, it's probably much more worth it to just stand strong on where we are, continue to be proud and supportive of one another, and show the majority of society that being LGBT really doesn't have to be a big deal. I don't think drawing more political attention to ourselves helps the 'we just want to fit in' ideal.

4. TheAMan

Sorry but I don't think we need a new word to describe us.

5. steel03

Well I like the idea a lot... I don't think it will ever happen, but I really like the idea.

6. Sayu

Boylover and Girllover, haha :grin: That's not very creative, lol, is it? But no good word comes up to my mind at the moment.

7. Emberstone

Fagulous is one I have heard, but I dont really use it myself.

There is also fagtacular, the fag theme opens up alot of portmantu's, it seems, as alot of people work to bring it in and turn it into a positive instead of a derogatory.

But you can call me 'Cory'.

8. Myturn

Sadly no matter what words we use to describe ourselves there will be people finding ways to turn our words against us.

9. Loras

I dont quite understand the concept. Im not completly out, but I have gotten use to calling myself gay, yesterday i told me first guy friend. I was scared to use it at first but now its not much different than telling someone im straight

10. Emberstone

and now for a little help from Lisa Lampanelli:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpawxVIXji4[/YOUTUBE]

11. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you can change the words but it wont change how they are used sadly. the term "gay" if i remember correctly has only been used to describe homosexuals for about a century, and didn't truly become popular until the 60s. this was all a random discussion in script analysis with answers from google but notice that as the word was originally used only in the gay community and by homosexual supporters it has become widespread and some even use it as an insult (dunno why but it happens).
    honestly i like to use the term "me" to describe me i think it fits the most ^^

12. needshelp

i agree with you. instead of gay, we should refer to ourselves as happy. bisexuals as moody and straight people as sad since most straight people feel like they're missing out on the party. they're so damn curious to what's being gay or bisexual's like that they're getting upset about it. don't see any bisexuals or gay people curious to know what's it like to be straight.