1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mega Bummed!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Micah

Well!

I had a brilliant (yet somewhat expensive) NYE night planned with a group of my friends. Do some pre-party drinks, then head out to the "gay-road" of melbourne and party in some clubs till dawn. It would have cost about $200 all up..but that's ok because I had been saving.

That was until last night! I was driving my friend home from a party at 4am, and I got sprung by a speeding camera.. I was a little tired and it hadn't been the greatest night so I just wanted to get home, and there was no one else on the road. $240 fine it'll be. GARGH.

So I pretty much just blew my NYE budget, so I'm not watching movies with an old friend.

Haha - That'll teach me to speed.

:frowning2:

2. surfrboykai

ouch! that sucks dude! i'm ao against these cameras. it's obviously not preventing people from speeding. and to me, it's just yet another way for cops to be totally lazy about their job

3. waitingsucks

What's the Gay Road of Melbourne? I wanna know.

Is it Queens Street? jks

but seriously I'm clueless what is it?

4. dictionary

they should focus there atention on the oh ma god.. fully sick bro man car hoons who were you going to kill speeding at 4am... lol possibly the weekest argument possible..

5. Micah

Commercial Road, Prahran,,,just off Chapel St. Take a train to Prahran Station (Sandy Line).

5 gay venues within 100m ^_~

6. waitingsucks

Awesome! I only knew there was a gay adult book shop near Prahran Market, it makes sense though. I would never go in there the rainbow flag flying on top is cool though.

7. JSG

JSG Guest

Think thats bad? I have a 600€ phone bill to pay...
    And thats not even the beginning !

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well Micah, that sucks. On the positive side, we wouldn't want you getting in an accident. Tickets are expensive reminders to SLOW DOWN. Is this your first ticket? Over here, the charges are usually significantly reduced if its your first ticket. How does it work over there?

9. Hydrogen

Ah, I am glad speeding cameras are not taking off over here in the US...

Now, I don't condone this, but I think it is great.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dq_uCsTiKE[/YOUTUBE]

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Were you doing a lot over the speed limit, or just a bit? In the UK if it's just a bit (like 70 in a 60 limit) they sometimes send you a warning letter rather than a ticket. If you're doing like 90 in a 60 you'll get a ticket though.

11. Micah

Speeding laws in Melbourne are very strict...it's how they raise revenue heh. So probably no warning.

I was doing 80 in a 60 zone (km/h) so it'll be a hefty fine - I was actually about 500m from the free way (the road I was on turns into the freeway). And so that is 100km/h so I was really speeding up to get ready for the freeway.

On a plus side -- I did end up going out and having a ball (my friend insisted I still go out and got me into a club for free and had a fair cheap but pleasant night).

12. TriBi

*Reminds self* - Victoria has zero tolerance speeding laws.

Not that I go mad (can't afford to lose my licence - if I did I couldn't work) but in NSW you can usually reckon to be OK (say) 5kph over the limit. I normally stick the cruise on for about 3-4kph over the limit. I actually think my speedo reads marginally low anyway.

Was it a fixed or a mobile camera BTW? Just that here you get THREE warning signs before a fixed camera - so you have to be pretty blind/careless to get caught (but then, a lot do...).

13. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Don't forget the 3 endorsements/penalty points on your license too. I can handle the fine, but the points could end my driving (and my career). And apparently they're thinking of changing that to 6 penalty points per speeding offence. So... for us driving over two years that's 2 strikes and you're banned and those new drivers, one strike.

Listening to Topgear it's actually been proven that a lot less accidents are caused by speeding than the government say. A lot is due to inexperienced drivers and also those who have no concept of when to use speed and when not to. I for one have no quarms doing 70-80mph on a 60mph country road at 3 or 4 am (obviously when it's safe to do so)... but you won't catch me doing it during the day... it's just wreckless.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Ah, I am glad speeding cameras are not taking off over here in the US...

They are here in Colorado. I got caught by one a few years back.

Thank your old friend for staying with you tonight, Micah. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. Nodnarb

I'm fortunate that the police out here are lazy and we have no cameras. I was driving home on the interstate last night and something came over me and I started driving WAY faster than I normally do.*cough* 100 mph with a 70 mph speed limit. I would have gone faster if there were less cars too... I guess it was the first time I was able to really just enjoy driving my new car, so that could be why. If I were to get a ticket, my parents would kill me. Quite literally.

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I can't forget them - I have 3 penalty points to prove it. :frowning2:

As I understand it you will get 3 points for a minor speeding offence (such as 70 in a 60 limit) and 6 points for a more serious one (such as 90 in a 60 limit).

It does seem sensible to separate people going a bit over the limit probably by accident and people going stupidly fast.

My concern though is that the 3 points will go where the warning letters used to go, and the 6 points will go where the 3 points currently go.

I agree. 85-90mph on a motorway when it's reasonably clear, during the day with dry roads is fine. The same at night in rain or fog is mad.

I think this is why they have the 6 point ban threshold for new drivers and 12 points for others. It doesn't teach new drivers when it is and isn't safe to use speed, but it does make them slow down while they are becoming more familiar with "real" driving.

I actually think it is more dangerous at night because of the likelihood of animals on the road wich you won't see until it's too late, but then Herefordshire is probably more rural than where you live.

17. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    lol yeah much more rural, and being around the Europe's largest army garrison, the majority of the country roads are tank roads.. so nice and wide.

However, how easy is it to do 40 in a 30 without paying too much attention to your spedo. That would defo constitute a 6 point infraction :angry:

Damn bureaucrats.

18. posterchild

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ooh.
    That's terrible.
    One of the best things about where I live is that there are only 4 cops on duty at any given time.
    The highway is completely free of them.

19. jroakwood

im glad you still had fun micah.
    suckky about the ticket though..

20. CelebrityHead

They're far too strict. I'm constantly aware of what speed I'm doing, making sure I'm not over. Because I know that if I'm 1km/h over the limit, I can be slugged with a hefty fine.

Oh and talking about revenue raising, I think it's so dodge that the mobile speed cameras are situated at the bottom of hills. Honestly, wouldn't you put them in trouble spots where speeding has caused harm? Instead of putting one where more money can be easily sapped from drivers who are not overly cautious?

I'm glad you still had a ball, though Micah! Wooo