1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do asexuals generally receive discrimination...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maxis, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...just as lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgenders & other queers do?

I think I ask questions here too much. But just wondering. ^^

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hmm, I am not sure but I could take an educated guess and say no, seeing as gays are usually descriminated because of the sexual act that is performed, in the eyes of average men and religion. Since asexuals aren't attracted to people, they aren't actually attracted to the same sex, so I suppose they would be seen as "weird" but not be descriminated.

3. Emberstone

fundie christians probably would. There are some who say that every person born has a mandate from God that must be upheld, and that is to produce children. I have heard fundie christians attack people who choose not to have children.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

While I'm sure some believe in that surely that's not what the majority of Christians believe? I would have thought as long as a homosexual act is not performed a Christian would have no problem with it.

5. Kernel Panic

as someone who has always been extremely asexual though also TG [by way of androgyny] woud say have recieved far more prejudice than discrimination purely for being asexual.
    most people IRL do not know what asexuality is,and whenever have told anyone they assume its 'another form of gay',or they have selective hearing and hear the word 'gay' instead of asexual,its ridiculously hard to be taken seriously,people do not understand the simple concepts of asexuality.

can understand how discrimination may happen towards asexuality,especialy for those whom are around others who are heavily influenced by peer pressure.

as asexuals,we are still discriminated against in that our sexuality is seen as a disorder and not as a sexuality in its own right.
    it isnt a disorder,its a deviation from the common norm,we are wired a bit differently simple as that.

until its seen as a true sexuality,we will never begin the path to acceptance that homosexuality started a long time ago [back when it got removed from the DSM manuals as a disorder].

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know and am friends with a substantial amount of fundamentalist, Evangelical Christians and, while some might have that view, it seems to be an infinitely small minority.

Asexual persons can still be quite romantically attracted to people, and thus so to people of the same sex. Many are even in romantic (but not sexual, or "sex-less," if you will) relationships with other asexual members of the same sex. And actually, now that I think of it, a good half of fundamentalists may well have issues with that one...

If anything, though, I'd imagine most asexual persons are just very misunderstood (kinda like people thinking they just "don't like people" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), rather than discriminated against.

Edit: Oops, that previous sentence was Kernel's point - failed to read it.

#6 Browncoat, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. starfish

I wouldn't describe myself as asexual, but I don't have much of a sex drive. It can be bit awkward wrt to my friends at times.

Some people do think that I am weird for not want to bang everything that moves. THen again I think they are weird for wanting to bang everything that moves.

8. Zontar

Not really. There is certainly a lot of hostility toward asexuals though in the dating scene, particularly from straight men who view them as women who refuse to put out. It's certainly not unheard of for an asexual to be dumped very rudely after they disclose their orientation.

This attitude mainly stems from fundamental incompatibility from dating outside their own community (due to lack of options, etc.) Same could be said for any mixed orientation relationship; all of them are doomed to failure and sometimes provoke an outright hostility or even hatred for the other person (homophobia and such contributing as well).

#8 Zontar, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. Gerit

Considering I used to think I was asexual (denial, haha), I think people just flat out don't know what asexuality is and fear it when they do. My dear mother thought I had joined a cult when she found The Asexuality Visibility and Education Network Forum in my history. She totally flipped out.

Then I tried to tell some of my friends about the sexuality... they didn't even believe it existed. Good thing I never came out as an asexual.