1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brown Guy on “Whitney” Comes Out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Messed Up, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I needed to scream. This is just a general rant so there is no need to comment if you don’t want to but hey, why not? I just needed to scream.

There is a show on television, not necessarily a funny show, called “Whitney”. It stars comedienne Whitney Cummings, who not is the star but the writer and the producer of this unfunny show. Sadly, my brother watches it and finds it funny thus, forcing me to watch it at times. On the show there is an established friend, an Indian friend, named Neil of Whitney and her boyfriend, Alex. I always thought it cool to see someone with my nationality on screen. For those who think that’s lame- believe me, it’s huge. You grow up with no characters in TV and film that look like you- so that when it does happen you notice and it’s a big deal. But this is not to do with race.

It has to do with being LGBTQ.

Neil, the Indian, was cool to me because he looked like me and was timid like me- seemed like me. Now, of all the characters in film, television, and literature he does not even go on my list of individuals who remind me of myself but it is nice to see Brown guys like me in entertainment. He just seemed like me.

Anyways- my scream. This past episode (Tuesday) Neil came out as “gay” but is perhaps better suited to be called “bi”- wow, kinda like me. But, in truth in pissed me off.

Whitney made it her duty to make him come out TO EVERYBODY. Whitney is barely his friend as he is true friends with Alex. Why the fuck did she take it upon herself to be the beacon of truth? I felt like Neil but he didn’t get to come out on his terms.

I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF BEING TREATED AS SECONDARY TO STRAIGHT PEOPLE! FUCK IT! I AM NOT BI OR GAY ONLY- I AM HUMAN! I AM A PERSON- FIRST AND FOREMOST! Being LGBTQ is only A FACET of who I am but in truth I AM HUMAN FIRST! WHY AM I MADE TO FEEL LIKE IT IS YOUR FUCKING DUTY TO PARADE ME AS THIS SIDESHOW ODDITY WHERE A FUCKING PARADE MUST BE ANNOUNCED! “Come one, come all, see the elusive and rare Indian who enjoys the company of both men and women- let the trumpets bray!” I hate this. And Whitney had the gaul to say “I knew I was right [about Neil being gay]!”. When the fuck did I become a question to be answered? Who I love and whether they be male or female is POINTLESS! Alex, the boyfriend, seemed to be the only one to make any sense but because the show is called “Whitney” not “Alex”- who really cared? The ex-fiance of Neil was also amazing but then again- it’s called “Whitney”.

Who I love is not your damn business. What gender they are is pointless. I love who I love. Do not label me as something. I am not “bi” while you get to be “normal”.

I am so angry. Why do they [straight people] get to be normal and I’m singled out? It’s not fair.

Hate me if you want, I don’t care. I needed to scream... Here, in this world, I’m different first and foremost because I’m not straight. I’m a person second.

2. nydtc

That show in general is awful. I think that fact that it is still on is only a testament to how bad NBC's programming is these days.
    I watched 1/2 of last nights - I stopped the clicker when I realize the subject matter was "gay" - anyway, I have to say, I thought the way they handled his GF and her response was perfect. He was trying to label himself and she was telling him not to worry about the label and just love who you love.

3. Eric

You pretty much said it yourself, it's a terrible show. To think that only about a decade ago, NBC owned the market on sitcoms, and other networks were trying to recreate the success of 'Friends'. Their most successful shows currently airing now are 30 Rock and the decaying carcass that is The Office. Community had a cult-like following, and was liked by critics, which meant it obviously had to be shelved.

By the way, Neal is portrayed by Maulik Pancholy who also played one of my favourite characters on 30 Rock, Jonathan. It's puzzling to me that he would leave 30 Rock to be on Whitney, considering he was getting more screen time and plot lines.

I should add that I've only seen commercials for Whitney and refuse to watch it of my own volition, so I obviously haven't seen this episode. xD

4. ameliawesome

it is a terrible show. i'm under the impression that whitney cummings' sense of humor is, well, cheap. there's another pretty awful show on right now called "2 broke girls" and whitney cummings name is on that show, too, i think as creator/producer. there are soooo many exaggerated gay stereotypes and insensitive sexual jokes on that show.

5. Emberstone

I like whitney on the chelsea lately round tables... but i did not like her show... didnt really even like the chelsea handler sitcom.

I prefered the actor on 30rock. he totally sold jonathan.