1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life Changes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Mar 19, 2012.

1. starfish

So I am thinking that is time to make some changes in my life. I've not been happy for a while, and I think I'm finally ready to make some changes.

There are two things that I am not happy with. I'm not all the trilled living in Austin, and I really don't like job. Austin was fun for a while, but that has worn off.

One thing I have always wanted to is to get a consulting job where I can spend 6 months to a year in a city, then go on to another city. That would give me a change to explorer the country and find my spot.

It is a little scary to give up a "permeant" and then take on a series of 6-12 month consulting gigs. At the same time I am excited at the prospect of fulfilling a lifetime dream. The good news is that the consulting gigs pay quite a bit more than I am making now. I already have a good bit of savings and it should not be a problem to save a lot more. That will hold me over between gigs.

I have a lead on a gig in Houston. I've been to Houston a couple of times and I enjoyed it.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say go for it, sounds like you have spent a while thinking it through.

3. colorful

Sounds great! I know I personally would jump at the chace to travel rather than stay in one place forever.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've spent time being fairly itinerant. It can be really fun, but it can also be a challenge if it takes time for you to connect with people in the new location. All in all, I highly recommend it... I've met some amazing people that I've stayed in contact with years later.

What does help is to have a "home base" somewhere, even if it's a room in a shared house. Then you have a place you can feel grounded, while you're out traveling the world.