1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hetrophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Menaki-Neko, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    One of my (lesbian) friends said that she doesn't like straight people because they make fun of her. Do you know anybody that's "Hetrophobic?"

2. YIAW

More than heterophobic, I just don't get heteronormative in general. It seems so unreal.
    But hey, I don't judge anyone! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. I do actually know some people who think like that. It baffles me to say the least.
    I don't see how it's okay to make a blanket judgment about ALL straight people when we are constantly complaining about blanket judgments made about us.

It's natural to fear people who have hurt you. I get it. I really do. But I think we need to try and overcome our generalizing and start actually seeing people instead of just boxing them up.

AND, I'm not saying that the answer to this circle of fear and unreasonable hatred is that we just need to go hug all the homophobes, but I think that actually needing a word like "heterophobia" means we're taking all of this far too far in the wrong direction.

4. secretguyX

I've heard of that, I find it ridiculous. Gay people always complain about people being homophobic, and then they go judging people for the same reasons, sexuality?

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if I replace the "homo" in the definition of homophobic - "unreasoning fear or antipathy toward heterosexuals and heterosexuality" - then, no, I'm not heterophobic.

I do, however, greatly enjoy attempting to make certain types of straight men uncomfortable by pretending to flirt with them. Which I do indeed view as a form of revenge against all the bullying I endured at the hands of straight men.

If that makes me heterophobic, I'm guilty as charged :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Although I don't see how it would since most of my male friends are straight..

6. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was outed at 13 in an extremely rural area. It didn't cause me to greatly dislike or fear straight people, but it took me a long time to stopped tensing up and being guarded. Even so, I'm still more comfortable around gay people I've just met than straight ones. I don't know if that would fall under heterophobic, though?