1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a GBF

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, Mar 21, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

GBF standing for "gay best friend."

I'm a bi guy. All my friends are straight guys. I can't exactly talk to them about dudes I like. Or how I saw a cool LGBT movie. Or anything like that really lol. So I decided to put some feelers out for a girl looking for a GBF and seems I found one. Never thought I'd actively seek out being a girl's GBF lol. But, it seems like that will help me channel that side out more. Plus, I can go to gay bars with her and maybe dance with some hot or cute guys there. Especially since it's spring.

Did I mention she's also bi? So, it may also go the route of stories where a straight guy pretends to be gay to get the girl lol. She gets to know him, feel comfortable around him, then take it from there. Plus? I'm her type. Talk about a match made in heaven.

What about you guys, or girls, ever feel the need to become a "gay best friend" just basically to talk about liking guys (or girls) and everything that entails being LGBT?

Not talking the cliche gay guy that girls drag around like an accessory. Just a girl so you can completely be yourself without a judging (straight) atmosphere. Don't really know any gay guys.

#1 IanGallagher, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    I don't know if this counts but I have a best guy friend who's bi. Like we had a fling when I was trying to figure myself out and he's the only guy that I've dated who's accepted me after I came out as gay. Which is really cool coz his older brother is gay and his dad too. So he's been a rock to me through hard times, being judged, break ups etc. I think we all need people like that. :slight_smile:

3. Mad Man L

I have a female friend who I'm really close with. I'm like her gay best friend, but I was her friend before I even knew I was bi. We talk about stuff, like hot guys, and I didn't have to suppress my 'gay side'. I do have some other female friends, but I'm not as close to them as I am to her.

As bi, I find that I like to be friends with both genders. Unfortunately, this becomes difficult when it comes to finding a relationship. In effect, my over-friendliness has resulted in guaranteeing my forever-aloneness.

4. Loras

Before i came out i had a big group of friends, guys and girls. Then i came out and started hanging out with the girls a lot, and i have two girl best friends, but i was best friends before i came out. now im looking for other gay guys to be friends with, i find it hard to relate to straight guys, but still have a lot of straight friends.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having a girl is soooo nice to chat with, and my friend is bi too Ian! So ironically in almost the same position :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Though I do hope you're not saying you're going to go straight lol.

6. IanGallagher

Don't think going straight is possible lol. May lean straight, but I'll never actually be straight. Seeing the world in color is a lot cooler than seeing it in black and white.

7. simon94

Personally I find it really hard to talk to anyone about my attraction to guys- straight guys don't really want to hear it and I find straight girls can be quite patronising about it. For example, I told one girl about a [straight] guy I found attractive, and she told me she liked him too- and was glad she knew someone with even less of a chance. I didn't realise until last week just how much I suppress my 'gay side' around people. Also the fact that the majority of people I'm close to are in a relationship kind of makes it hard to connect about the whole 'I'm miserable about being single' thing.

I would like to have someone to talk to- maybe I should look for someone who wants a GBF too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

8. King

King Guest

^ This.
    I am a GBF to a straight girl, and she seems to almost 'look down' on me when I talk about that sort of stuff. I've mentioned my certain attractions before and she usually seems uncomfortable with me talking about it (mumbles and changes the subject) so I suppress any of that.
    I don't really fancy being a GBF because I feel like I'm a novelty item, which is another reason why I don't talk about my attractions much (I don't want to be seen as "just a gay guy"). I would be lying to say I haven't considered that when thinking of coming out to certain friends of mine... I think they're love me being gay too much.

9. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fuck, this is why I don't mind having no friends sometimes. If they can talk about their crushes and love life and all that shit around you then you should be able to do the same. God.

...Lol @ the whole GBF situation, maybe you should start posting flyers? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    It would be cool to have a guy to talk girls with sometimes, but oh well.

10. steel03

I talk to my straight guy friends about guys while they talk to me about girls, and we just go with it, and it's pretty much alright. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Like I went to Hunger Games with a big group and they were talking about how Katniss is attractive and I was talking about how Gale is attractive, because I agree that Jennifer Lawrence is really really beautiful, and they agree that Liam Hemsworth is really really handsome.

It is nice to talk to someone who gets it sometimes, though.

#10 steel03, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I think that's really cool, you have good friends.

12. I'm a GBF to many straight guys. They call me their "lesbro".

It's seriously like being inducted into the world of straight maledom. I'm an honorary member and welcome anytime! But yeah, it's nice to be able to talk about girls with people who are actually attracted to girls...and since I don't have many lesbian friends...well, I love my guys, they're good to me.

13. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like all of my true friends have in either a joking manner or a serious one considered me their GBF... my roommates are some of the funniest because one of them is a guy and I've made him check out other guys with me (side note: he was cool about it he just has really bad taste) and my other roommate, who knows i like her bf more than i believe i should. constantly points out his ass to me. i also have straight guy and girl friends that i have talked to about guys before...i dunno my friends are just cool i guess lol