1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do u feel special that u r gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swapnil, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Swapnil

I know there could be lots of answers to this question but do any of you guys/gals also fees a little special about the fact that your are gay?:eusa_danc
    the fact that you are different from other "regular" people.
    I would love to get your views on this question

2. PianoNate

Special ed maybe :thumbsup:

3. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes. I get those days where I feel awesome for being different. It's an amazing feeling. :grin:

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yes, I feel as though because I am gay I will face a lot of prejudice and descrimination as I grow older, and because of that I will most likely end up a stronger person because of it, and educated more than the majority.

However due to my bi polar or whatever it is I have I also feel the complete opposite to this on some days :slight_smile:

5. I look forward to a time when there's nothing all that special or remarkable about it. Like having brown hair, as I do.

But, because it isn't unremarkable to be gay in the time that we live in, yeah, I guess in a way I feel special.

It's unfortunate that many things are harder for LGBT people. I don't like that my life would very likely be easier in some ways if I weren't gay. But the thing that I have learned to appreciate is how differently I look at things since exploring what it means to be gay and out in the world I live in.

I have a lot of empathy. I try very hard to understand why people are the way they are, why they think the way they do. I'm pretty good at it, too. Maybe I'd have had that even if I weren't gay, but I can see clearly how being gay has enhanced the empathy in me. It's a thing that I am not ashamed to say that I pride myself in and work to improve at all times.

6. colorful

As much as I say that we are all people and we love who we love, yes I do feel sort of special. Haha. I mean yeah I wish it didn't really matter to everyone else, but It makes me happy (or I suppose gay) that I am not opposed to love. Maybe that's why we are called gay because we know what we want to be happy. (Okay yeah I know that was lame. Haha.)

I honestly frequently use the word awesome to describe myself and others I know who are LGBTQ. Partially because I'm not really out and it's sort of a code word, but also because it is just so darn applicable to all of us! Some things in life help form and I think being gay is one of those things. I mean it shouldn't be an absolute defining feature, but I dunno. I don't think being gay is a choice for most, but at least right now I wouldn't chose anything different because it has brought me closer to some great people.

I read somewhere (I'm sure on here) that Native Americans treated those with homosexual tendencies as special beings (two spirits). So yeah, especially when I think about stuff like that I do feel special. I love that I get to be a part of this movement despite any of the inner turmoil that it may entail. I love being different and making a difference.

7. TheAMan

Every now and again I do yeah but not all the time.

8. secretguyX

Never really. I just feel "different" sometimes, because I only know one other person who's gay in person, so I don't fit in so well. But most of the time I just feel normal, it's just a part of my life. There isn't anything special about being gay/bisexual/etc..., just as there isn't anything special about being straight.

9. Leora

Nah. Sometimes different, but not 'special'. But then I guess I haven't told enough people for it to become part of my core identity and something other people see, if that makes sense.

10. DegrassiLover10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  11. aidan

I feel lucky, mainly. A bit special too.

12. JRNagoya

If anything, I feel happier than when I was primarily closeted. I'm making gay friends, going to gay bars, and generally living life as a gay man. Instead of being ashamed of sneaking glances at good looking guys, I'm enjoying the eye candy that populates Manhattan. Do I feel special? No, not really. What I feel is liberated.

13. ameliawesome

i feel grateful that i have had to put effort into understanding myself as both a spiritual and a physical person. i can't imagine living a life that seems to have one path. i can't imagine my life leading to societal/conventional goals, and i certainly can't imagine using those goals as the major measure of anybody's success. so i think rather than special i feel fortunate.

14. Kidd

Kidd Guest

No, not really. I mean, sure, sometimes when I'm alone I'll be doing something and I'll suddenly just think, "Wow, so this is the gay lifestyle? This is it?" And then I go back to feeling just like everyone else. This is just a facet of who we are as people. There are so many more interesting things about us, about me, that makes us special and unique.

15. anonymous1

This is how I feel :grin: I'm just out to my very close friends right now, but I am so glad I am gay. I can't see not wanting to be a lesbian.

16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah, if I was straight I don't think I would have been into spirituality as much as I have. If I was straight, I wouldn't be as open minded, I'm not saying being straight means your not open minded, I would have just "followed" the crowd. But it does feel uncomfortable having to "pretend" all the time.

17. Fisnou

Not really, more like different and the odd one out. But may be when I make friends with other gay people, I'll finally feel like I belong somewhere and may be I'll feel special (?). Who knows...

18. Mad Man L

No, I'm different in one respect. That's it.

19. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel a little special, I guess. Not because I'm queer but because being this way has made my life very different than if I wasn't. If I wasn't gay, I wouldn't have met a great deal of my friends and I (obviously) would have dated different people. I also don't know if I'd have been so driven to speak out and act on behalf of minorities (I'd like to think I would, but still). Plus, I love the LGBT community. Maybe I wouldn't have needed it if I actually had fit in with others growing up, but our community is phenomenal and so very supportive.

20. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't really feel anything about being gay. I do, however, feel happy knowing that I'm gay (as opposed to the confusion of not knowing), and happy to be open about it.