1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for gay parents

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EastYear, Mar 27, 2012.

1. EastYear

EastYear Guest

This isn't a super pressing question or anything, but I've always wondered. How do you guys have your child adress you and your partner? I've always called my parents Mom and Dad, but Dad and Dad or Mom and Mom seems like it would lead to confusion. Anyway, I'd love to hear your solutions, as well as from anybody who has gay parents themselves.

2. Fisnou

I have no idea as I don't have gay parents myself... the only thing I can think of is Bette and Tina who have a baby together in the series "L Word" call themselves Mamma A and Mamma B. I thought that was a cool idea :slight_smile:

3. TraceElement

Mom and mommy, dad and daddy, dad and pops, mom and ma.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like what the Leffew family (aka Depfox, from YouTube) does with this subject. Their kids addres them as "Daddy Jay" or "Daddy Bryan", thus avoiding such confusion. :slight_smile:

If/when I have children, I think I'd go with differing forms of the word Dad to distinguish myself from my partner. Ultimately though, the children will inevitably call a parent whatever they feel comfortable calling them, and it will stick. So it's usually the kids that would come up with their own solution to the problem. Kids are smart that way.

5. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My aunts go by Mama and Mommy.

6. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This, I'd think. After all, this is how many people differentiate between aunts, uncles, and grandparents, right? It kinda sounds wierd, honestly, but it's probably just because it's not widespread; "Daddy Jay and Daddy Bryan" isn't that different from "Uncle Jay and Uncle Bryan" or "grandpa Jay and Grandpa Bryan."

7. Atticus

Well two of my older friends who have kids go by Daddy and Poppy. In a few of my roleplays where there are gay parents, we usually have Daddy and Papa.