1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think that you'd be homophobic if you weren't LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rob999, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've often wondered this regarding myself. I think I would have the same mindset as most people my age that I know, when I joke about it and to anything to not seem gay. Kinda makes me happy I'm attach so not superior insecure like that :lol:.

What do you guys think about this regarding yourselves?

2. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No idea. So many important thoughts I had, things I did or didn't do over time depended on my sexuality that I strongly suspect my whole life would be so different that there's no point in guessing what it would be like.

3. Naren

No. Before I realized I was lesbian I was perfectly fine with it. It doesn't matter what somebody is, I'll love them all the same. This is all.

4. Nero

i dont think i would as ive always been accepting of others appearence soicial and learning diffrences so why would it make sense to be a homophobe? i cant understand why others are to be honest

5. chrisb

Even when i was so deep in the closet in High School without even a thought of ever possibly telling anyone i may be gay, i never once said a negative thing about anyone who was gay, alot of times i would simply not say anything, other times i would tell people there is nothing wrong with being gay..... I honestly don't think even if i had been born straight i would ever be homophobic....

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt it. I wouldn't really think about LGBT people, but I'd be fine with them. My neighbor is Trans, and I have known a few gay people, so I wouldn't be completely ignorant on the subject.

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I think that I would have been while I was younger but certainly not now.

8. timo

Probably not. One of my cousins is gay and I've grown up, long before I found out I'm gay myself, with the idea that it's something normal.

9. Fisnou

Nope, I was always find with LGBT people. I had a couple of friends coming out to me way before I started questioning my sexuality and it didn't bother me one bit. If anything, I was just ignorant.

10. Travel Tech

Dude, when I was like, 5 or 6 my mom was watching the news and something about the trial in DC over gay marriage came on. I asked my mom what they were talking about and she explained that two men wanted to get married and people are trying to decide whether or not to let them. I will never forget my response, "That's silly, just because they don't love boys doesn't mean other people don't. If they love each other than of course they should get married"

You rock 5 year old me.

11. Not me, I grew up in a very liberal, progressive household, thank god

12. b0i70y

Never really understood why people treated others differently just because they're different. I'm originally from LA, and my parents are quite liberal, so I don't think I would've been homophobic. Plus, I just am not capable of that way of thinking. It never made sense to me, even when I was really little. I didn't even know what racism was until I was, like, in junior high.

13. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I probably would have been in PART of my life, my family's Christian and partly believe gays burn in hell. Later on I would probably educate myself on LGBT.

14. Eric

I was pro-gay rights before I realised that I'm gay, so I really really really really really doubt that I'd be homophobic.

15. Gallatin

I doubt I would've been. I was raised in a pretty liberal, secular household. My parents never said anything bad about gay people; plus, my dad's best friend, who is my godfather, is gay. Before I knew that I was gay, I thought that everybody should be able to be married to whoever they love. Given all that, I can't see anything that would've caused me to become homophobic.

16. stupidIvan

With the way my mother raised me, no way in the world would I have grown up homophobic! She's pretty accepting across the board with everyone.

17. I am very liberal about social issues, so I dont think I would be homophobic.

I'd like to note, however, that there are self-hating people who are homophobic because they are LGBT.

18. Fiddledeedee

I wouldn't have understanding, due to being straight, and I wouldn't know nearly as much, due to never having had a reason to seek information. These things would contribute to me finding gay people a bit strange and different, but I don't think I'd be homophobic. And if someone told me they were gay, I'd probably do a fair bit of research and become more accepting and all.

19. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd like to think I wouldn't be, but I'm not sure...

20. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap

Probably something like this. But I'm not sure. I might have turned out about the same support wise. I didn't realize I was bi until I was 16, and before that I was transphobic. I also once said that I don't believe in gay marriage because of my religious beliefs. At 16 I started really finding myself, in all aspects. I'd say I would have ended up as an ally by 16 if I wasn't bi, like my niece. I probably would have still greatly enjoyed LGBT-friendly shows like Glee, Buffy, Ugly Betty etc so that would have made me even more supportive. :slight_smile: