1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be upset if your child was LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amwm2wm3, Mar 28, 2012.

1. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this might sound like a stupid question but I'm not asking if you would love them or kick them out or anything like that.
    Personally, I think I would be a bit upset. I wouldn't be mad, but I'd hate to know that they may have had to internally struggle like I did and that others will treat them terribly. I'd hate for them to hear on the news about nasty crazy fanatics who would take their rights away in a heartbeat if they had the power. I'd fear how our extended family would treat them. I'm worried enough right now about my h
    I guess a better way to word it is that I wouldn't be upset that they queer but that they'd have a harder life because of it. I feel a bit terrible for thinking this, but I was wondering what other people thought.

2. Travel Tech

I live in a very liberal and accepting area, so maybe a little upset, I don't know. I would of course help them through any difficulties that followed.

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I'd hug them, tell them I loved them, and then inform them that I still want grandchildren.

Actually I'd hope at least one of them was gay. I never dealt with the whole internal struggle, so I would teach my kids early on that it was no big deal to be LGBT or anything else that some may see as different.

4. JRNagoya

Well, I currently have no desire to have any children - biological or adopted. That would wholly depend on whom I with. If I did have kids, I would absolutely raise them knowing they could come to me for anything. At an early age, I would set them down to have "the talk," something my parents never did. I would also let them know that gay, straight, or something in between, I would be there for them and support them in their life and their decisions. I want my kids to be in an environment where they are comfortable with who they are from an early age, and not like me in my mid-30s just now starting the coming out process. I do see it getting easier for kids coming out with each generation. It's a long process, but things are much better than they were a generation ago.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm not a parent (nor do I really intend to be), so I'd be inclined to think my (or anyone else's) answer could quite easily be different if I invested such a large amount of time into raising a child.

And obviously we're all a bit biased in either being LGBT or an ally...

All that taken into account, I don't think I would be upset, or that it would even phase me. I was raised to be very emotionally withheld (thus the not phasing part), and I've learned to be very tolerant and accepting along the way. But, again, if I wasn't LGBT, or if I actually had children, who knows how my answer would change.

6. King

King Guest

I wouldn't be upset in the slightest. I let them know that I'm there for them and that they can talk to me about anything. There's little my children could do to upset me, I'd imagine.

7. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not at all.

8. secretguyX

No, because I know how much I'm worrying about telling my mother, and that it'd be that hard for them as well. I'd just hug them and tell them I love them. And they could always talk to me about it, since I relate to being gay.

9. Bedroom Hymns

No, of course I wouldn't :slight_smile:.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I actually think I would prefer it, honestly.

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, not at all.

12. Atticus

I don't want children, just a fleet of dogs and one cat and a horse (also a donkey), but I am inclined to believe that if I were to have a child then I would, of course, make sure that child had a support system. The world can be tough and I know that in some places being part of the LGBTQ spectrum can actually get you killed. I would do my best to be sure that the child in question was getting all the resources it needs but that also would be safe (as much as possible) from cruelty. There would be a lot of planning, working with schools, etc., to try to find a happy place for the child. Even if I hate children, I know that none of them deserve to be miserable. It sounds like back-breaking work, helping out a child of the spectrum (or one who isn't for that matter).

13. Mercy

Mercy Guest

id be very happy

14. Fusileer

Fusileer Guest

I will. I don't want them to go through what I'm going through.

15. TriCube

I'd be upset if they were unhappy. And then two of us would be unhappy.

Although I'm going through that time in my life when I think I'll never want to have kids, because really, they're a lot of work and I can barely take care of myself right now. But I like to think in the future when my whirlwind of a life settles down, that I'll end up raising a kid. And I won't care how they turn out (unless he's like a serial killer).

16. Caoimhe Fayre

I've always wanted to be a mother. I'm kind of maternal and protective and loving with my little siblings, and I just know that I would make an awesome mother. I mean, still terrifying because it's more than a full time job - it's a lifelong commitment - but I like to think I would be good at it and I really want to see who my children would turn out to be. I think if I don't have children, I would definitely miss them and regret the loss...

I like to think that if my child came out as LGBTQ, or if my child is completely hetero-normative, I would love them the same and be just as proud. I would raise my children to see homophobia in the same light as racism, and I would want them to know early on that they have my support and my love no matter what.

as for the difficulties they might face if they are LGBTQ, I wouldn't be too scared because I'd be right there with them on that journey, and honestly I hope that I'd raise my children to be confident and strong enough to not let the haters bring them down.

I think I would be delighted with my baby no matter what... boy, girl, LGBTQ or hetero-normative, abled or disabled... I'd be delighted because he or she would still be my child and my children will always be loved for the unique person that they will be.

the same goes for if they are athletic or artsy or right or left brained... if they're mine, I plan on loving them and standing by them no matter what.

#16 Caoimhe Fayre, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  17. I would probably be upset for them because of all the shit they would have to take from society, but I have no problem with the idea at all, in fact, I may actually prefer it...

18. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies, guys!
    Several years ago I remember watching a show on gay parents and one of the women said she didn't want her child be to LGBT because she didn't want them to have a difficult time of things. At the time it seemed silly, but now that I have a child, I guess I get what she means.
    I adore my son and of course we'd support and love him (that's not even a question) but I'd hate to see him hurt and I know that even if we tell him there's nothing the matter with him, others will. The idea of my child being bullied is quite scary, especially knowing what I went through and all of the horrible things it made me think/do.

19. Just Passing

I don't intend on becoming a parent, but I wouldn't be upset. If anything, wouldn't it be hypocritical to disapprove of any future child's sexuality?

20. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That isn't what I meant. I don't know if my post isn't worded clearly enough? It isn't disapproving, it's being upset that they're going to have to face so much nastiness in the world. It's all assuming that being queer will won't be accepted by everyone, but at least in my area that's (unfortunately) quite likely.