1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sing as if No One Is Listening

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Revan, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone! So here's something I'm contemplating, I'm not putting it in support because it could also become a thread in general too. But yes, I love singing, I've been a fairly good singer I think, or at least have been told so due to several festival wins and performances in musicals, but that's not the total point. What I'm getting at is I wish I could sing wherever I go, almost like in a musical lol. So I'm curious, what do you think about if I were to sing wherever I go? Is it the wrong thing to do, or would you say 'just do it'?

And the 'general' part I was talking about, anything you guys wish you could do outside of your own bedroom/shower/house (obviously not talking about that other thing lol)

#1 Revan, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would be amazing, I've dreamt of what that would be like. I can't sing but people just singing everywhere would be magical. <3

I can't think of anything like that I wish I could do.. But, interesting!

3. Fisnou

It's not wrong, may be unusual, but you might irritate some people... even if you sing well. Some people like the peace and quiet whenever possible. But good on you if you have the guts to!

YES! I wish I could do all the following in public without being stared at:

- pick my nose
    - get rid of a wedgie
    - walk around bra-less
    - walk around in pjs or really comfy but daggy clothes :icon_bigg
    - dance
    - sing
    - grin (with or without a reason)
    - make out with a girl (if I had a girlfriend)

4. King

King Guest

I wish I could dance. Not like, all out ensemble dance number, but just move some
    more when listening to a good song (like Automatic by Nicki Minaj, which I'm listening to at school rightnow... I wish I could just get up and dance to it!)
    So I guess;
    - Dance
    - Wear pajama pants (I live in them at home)
    - Fix my hair in window reflections :K

... Well I guess that's it.

5. DarkClarity

If you really want to then go for it. I'd never have the balls to sing in public. I agree with some of the posters above about wishing it was acceptable to go out in public in pjs.

6. Caoimhe Fayre

haha I already sing almost everywhere. :slight_smile: I'm working on Panis Angelicus (bread of angels) in my voice lessons right now, and I have two recordings on my MP3player to practice to, so I put it on and often on the bus or just walking around when I'm shopping, I'll sing (quietly) and practice a bit that way :slight_smile:

I love to sing my way through the day, it just makes everything better. and people often tell me I have such a pretty voice and to keep going. and now I'm starting college for a Personal Support Worker program and people are commenting that I will brighten many days if I sing as I go about my new work (though I wonder, wouldn't it be wiser to have my attention focused on my client and be listening to them if they want to talk).

so yeah. do it. if you feel like you want to sing, unless it's a place where you would be interrupting like class or church or something, just go ahead and sing. :slight_smile:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure what the response around you and your friends is, but I can tell you that when I was at Oberlin, a well-known college and conservatory, most of the voice majors annoyed the fuck out of just about everyone else because, basically, they never shut up. They were always singing... in the hallways, the bathrooms, the dining halls... and when anyone would ask them why they were singing all the time, the response was "I'm a voice major", as though that gave them license to annoy everyone around them.

In the right circumstance, I think singing can cheer people up and brighten their day. But in the wrong circumstance it just feels like someone's going "LOOK AT ME!! LOOK AT ME!!"

8. Shevanel

God damn, it took me a good few minutes to remember what the title of the thread was making me think of. But I remembered xD
    [YOUTUBE]293h41Bd-Do[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, I'd kinda not really think it's a good idea to do that IMO. Just try to find people that can actually help you turn it into a career if that's what you want. Or you can try to do it on the side of the street too. Lotsa people do that and some get noticed. But walking around and stuff? nah.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oberlin in Ohio?? I have some friends that go there but they are not music majors. I've heard that the vocal majors do that though..

I do this sometimes on accident. I'll put my ipod on and forget that others can hear me. I don't do it on a normal basis though.

10. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it may say a lot more about me, but I do most of those things anyway :lol: I know it takes a certain amount of balls / lack of shame, but there you are.

I think in regards to the OP, I will agree with Chip in saying singing all the time is really annoying but I think in small doses it's nice :slight_smile: As much as I think it'll be neat to have a life as a musical - personally I'd hate it as I despise musicals, rather unparalleled - I know I would just about punch everyone if a group of people burst into song for the eighth time that morning on campus; once would be cool and uplifting, then it'll just get so annoying. That said, if I could sing (well) I would sing a bit more than I do now, otherwise I currently sing quietly (or loudly with a group of friends) or hum a lot.

11. YellowWalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    you know what? that would be awsome FLASH MOB style some people may even join in, i totally would haha like on a city bus everyone just gets up and dances could be like syncronized singing LOL

12. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thing is, I would say go for it, but I have a very annoying house mate who lives in the room next door to mine and he has successfully managed to ruin Phantom of the Opera for me by singing it really loudly in his bedroom all the time. >.< So, yeah, it can be really annoying.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to know what you can sing heat, clearly your roommate...can't. No one should attempt Phantom unless you have THAT voice. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And yeah if anyone asks I would just say "I'm doing it because I enjoy singing" yes it might still be me giving me the 'right' but honestly if it bothered someone I would simply say 'I apologize' and stop singing.

14. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Revan,

Nah, I don't think you should. Some people will most definitely enjoy it if you're as good as you described, but there will be those who think that you're some attention freak.

- Fart

I do all of those haha!

LOL, sometimes I wear my pjs to uni (too lazy to change and it's a 30 second walk only from my house to my classes). My friends would grin and mess with my bed hair. :grin:

I have this evasive method of picking my nose without anyone noticing. As for dancing, when I'm in a particularly good mood, you'll notice that my walking steps are slightly rhythmic and I would tap my hands on my thigh (and when I'm walking down a lonely alley, I'll start imitating rock party anthem :grin:).

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll admit I do it walking home from class though that sidewalk is usually empty. I dunno i to be honest feel kinda guilty when I walk past someone and go quieter as if I'm embarrassed. I know maybe it's just sensibility built into me but same time, :S I'm not saying I'll sing on the bus but still...

16. Fisnou

Ha ha, I envy you! I wish I had the guts to do that! I think it's ok for guys to walk in baggy clothes including pjs but for girls, it's a big no-no :dry:

17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol. The thing is, said house mate has the kind of voice that is suited to karaoke and nothing else. I can't stand it when he tries to do opera. Several others are like, 'His voice is not that bad' but to be honest I just can't get past it...he should leave opera alone. :/

18. Countervail

YES! you can sing wherever and whenever you want to, but you might annoy people. Point being, not everything goes as planned even though you've done a profound job; you cant just please everybody so it's up to you whether or not you like too, just bear in mind the consequences you might suffer. And those looks.

19. Caoimhe Fayre

also keep in mind that your voice is a muscle and the more you use it (properly of course) the stronger it will get, just like any other muscle. so practicing 24/7 is not really a bad thing, IMO.... :slight_smile:

20. Lewis

Haha, go for it! :slight_smile: