Acting Straight

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siateac34, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Siateac34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well all know the stereotypical gay guy. Flamboyant, feminine, flaming. There are certain degrees of "gay-acting"

On a scale of 1 - 10 of "gayness" where do you place yourself?

And next question: do you tone it down for "the boys." Do you censor yourself when you're around straight guys, or people who are anti-gay?

I must say I don't. I'm not out to everyone, but it just bothers me when people aren't candid about who they are. I LOVE Showtunes, I LOVE Moulin Rouge, I listen to Britney, I wear pink and workout in the skimpiest clothes I can find. I don't have trouble admitting that. I'm PROUD to admit that because it's what gives me some spice, it's what makes me different from the self-loather whose Facebook status is : "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS. EVERYWHERE!"

What about you.

Lucas.

2. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

From 1-10....7? And when im around my guy friends i talk to them about boys..even though they dont want to know but i still do it and around non supportive gay ppl...i dont care if theyre anti gay ill rub my gayness in their face just to piss them off. And if lets see......i like...britney? lol i like musicals....and more stuff to lazy to write.

3. ohioboy

1-10 hmmmm 5 idk but i have alot of straight guy friends that flurt with me playing i think it's cute but i'm a big weirdo

4. Red87

I'm probably about a 7. I Identify as bi because I'm not against a relationship with a female if we totally jived and she approached me about it, but otherwise, I stick to guys. I have to act straight anyway, I'm in the military, and I'm damn good at it. I can drink beer, watch football, and play sports with the best of them.

5. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably about a 5 for me. I'm totally gay, enjoy dressing nice, LOVE showtunes, you know, all the stereotypical stuff. Yet, I'm not that flamboyant. My friends that I'm out to tell me that I'm like Will Truman incarnate. Sad thing is, they're right (although I could NEVER be a lawyer...)

6. MarkNYC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a ten. Self admitted. I wear girls jeans and shirts, I even sound like my female friends. I love to cling on my boyfriend and I wear makeup, sometimes.

7. SkyTears

1 being non-gay? I would say that for me it would be about 3.5ish but that is the real me, so I'm not really acting different for anyone. Although when it comes to straight guys I don't really talk about guys around them. And like ohioboy said, there are some straight guys that flurt but we both know it's just fun and games.

8. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Around 3-4.
    A majority of my friends are musical junkies, so I don't think I'd get outed for liking musicals (it's really them that introduces me to certain musicals, and then, I just fall in love with the musical).

I don't know if I'm feminine or not around guys, because I still act the same way around them as I would with my girl friends (if we're talking about my crush, I become awkward).

I don't really like watching sports. It gets INCREDIBLY boring watching them; I'd rather have it so that I can play, instead of just watching.

People tell me I'm fashionable, but seriously, I just find something to wear, put it on, and find food to eat (I love eating, I don't care if people tell me I'm a pig, because, I'm too skinny to be branded "obese").

I don't really listen to a lot of Metal. I'm more in the Pop Rock, Emo Rock, Alt/Punk Rock genre. And the only band that I listen to that have girls as the singer are Flyleaf and The Hush Sound. (I don't really think Cher's and Madonna's music are that good. I just don't.)

The only way people would think of me as bi/gay would be because:
    I'm extremely self-conscious with my hair.
    I talk with a lisp (getting better, thank God)
    I talk a bit effeminate

9. kevinx519

hmm. id say im about a 4. although sometimes it gets up to an 8 and i gotta tone it down. the only reason some people suspect me to be gay is because i dont show that much interest in girls. so i dont think i show that many effeminate tendencies although theres nothing wrong with them.

10. Urman

Urman Guest

for myself i would say 1 or 2 :frowning2:

11. step49x

I think I'm a 3, maybe a 4. I don't care about fashion at all (though i think my friends are starting to make me a little more self-conscious, in that regard), I really don't care about my looks in general. I love musicals and don't care about sports, but most people wouldn't know that unless they really got to know me.

12. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Probably about a 1.5 because i don't fit the flamboyant stereotype at all, but i do enjoy musicals and no i don't act any different around some people i just don't mention that i like musicals.

13. surfrboykai

i'm not "gay acting" at all. i am who i am around everyone, and i don't hide anything. hell, you gets see that i type how i talk haha

yah...brah, that's not cool. it's one thing to be proud of who you are and no hide it, but to actually rub it in their faces only fuels the fire by reinforcing the stereotypes.

so...gay guys don't drink beer, watch football, or play sports at all? that's an unfair and very prejudiced thing to say

EDIT: i didn't put a number because you never specified like, which is the gay acting end of the line, and which was the straight acting end. also, i hate those terms haha. i prefer feminine and masculine, respectively.

#13 surfrboykai, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If you just base it on my actions, to the untrained eye, I'm a 2. I'm extremely straight-acting, and aside from my long hair, there's little to go on.

To the trained eye, however, I'm a 3.5. I hang out with mostly girls, and I have no problem with hugging them in front of one another. And if people look to see how comfortable these girls are around me, it would be obvious to them that I'm gay.

If you listen to my conversations, it bumps me up to a 5, because I make it no secret that I'm gay. I don't have a boyfriend I can talk about, but I'll gladly talk about which guys are hot, which guys are not, and other things like that. I also joke about my homosexuality quite a bit, so that also helps to bump me up to a 5.

Around straight people, I really don't act that differently, since I'm already pretty straight-acting, so it's almost impossible for me to "tone it down." However, I only discuss my homosexuality to people I'm out to, which isn't the majority of my straight friends, so I guess you could say I tone it down around them, but only subconsciencely.

15. Hollywood

7...and i do tone it down around straight guys. i say shit like "man" a lot. for example, with my girl friends id be like "thanks!" but with straight guys im like "thanks man."

16. SpikySpice

I dont know, lol, I only act gay when gay guys are around, but I also think acting gay makes me feel akward sometimes, basically most people look at me and think Im straight, but some with their keen gaydar can know the real me, when Im hyper, I act gay as hell. My face is probably happy but looks cold like iron most the time and I soemtiem slisten to Britney in public

I do care bout fashion, sometimes check only my shoes

When Im near anti-gay people, I just be myself, not too gay, not trying to act straight to cover their eyes, Im natural

hmm, so I assume probably 4-5

17. davo-man

I think I'd be about a 6, cos I enjoy musicals and the stereotypical gay type music, but I have absolutely no interest in fashion.

I do change how I act when I'm around my guy friends, cos I know it makes a few of them uncomfortable, such as I'm great friends with Luke, but any mention of guy on guy will freak him out, and to be honest I'd rather be friends with him and ommit that part of my life than not be friends at all...

...It's like having friends who are absolutely not interested in cars or other auto related stuff, there's no point in talking about it, cos first they'll have no idea what you're talking about and it will prob make them feel awkward for not knowing what you are talking abotu.

18. kholdstare90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an 8 when i'm around just girls because except for the whole "manhood" thing i'm more or less a woman anyway. When a guy is around i tone it way down to about a 3-4 purely out of habit. I still talk about hot guys and bitch about bad outfits but i don't act super mega gay like usual.

That and i'm very fashion conscious. I have 2 pairs of flats and 7 pairs of heels, shortest is 3 inches. I love them to death because they look hot and they're leather. Plus my touch up make-up kit is bigger than most of my friends whole make-up draw. It's funny because my sister always comes to me when she is having a big night out. Outfit, hair, make-up the works!

19. Defender

Defender Guest

Hm, I'm not sure. When I'm around people, they don't usually see 'me' at all. I don't care for the whole acting up a certain image, if I like something (music/clothes etc.) I'll go for it. I'm not brave enough just yet. My younger brother for example, calls everything that isn't 'tough', gay. It's so stupid, lol. I've called him out on it a few times and asked why, but most of the time he doesn't have anything to say other than "it just is" :lol: :bang: .

I'd say maybe 4-7.

20. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around 2-5. I don't act differently around different people I think. Well maybe a little...I'm a bit more stereotypically gay acting around some friends who I know have no problems with it. :lol: But generally I'm just myself, around everyone. So I'd say I'm like 4-5, but I usually act like 2-3 :lol: