1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on being 'out there' and flamboyant?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cheese on toast, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Okay, so I'm the type of guy who most people think is gay, probably because I act kind of flamboyantly and most of the stuff I own is bright pink. And so basically I do stuff like wear really tight fashion-forward clothes, burst out randomly in song, paint my nails purple,- even though I haven't actually come out as gay or bi or whatever :bang: I suppose maybe it's like compensation for the fact that I can't/don't want to come out at my conservative Catholic school...? What do you guys think? Any other closet-dwellers who do the same thing? (!)

#1 Cheese on toast, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  2. timo

I'm not out but most people, when they first meet me, assume I'm gay anyway. My jeans are tighter than 80% of the girls I know and even though I hate the word 'flamboyant' I sometimes act that way. And there's probably more I'm not even aware of.

But I don't feel it's compensating for not being out, it's just doing what I want to.

3. IanGallagher

Found that I've only met one gay guy, out of about 20, who did 'act straight' everyone else said they 'acted straight' but were flamboyant in some way: the way they walked, carried themselves, limp wrist, slight lisp, etc. Not all in one - but usually at least one of the signature stereotypical images. Basically enough so that a lot of masculine guys can tell 'there might be something going on with him.' Albeit I've met one flamboyant straight guy who bounces around on the radar, so one can never truly tell. Also, I'm bi, masculine, everyone was surprised - but have still to meet other bi guys so I can't really tell if we "blend in more" somehow...

4. Beachboi92

inb4 this thread gets offensive to flamboyant gay men

5. Pilgrim is hot

there's nothing wrong with being flamboyant, if that's how you are or how you feel like being then great, although I would say it is a very subjective term as everyone has different views of what constitutes flamboyant. I have the opposite stereotype where I'm called "straight acting" which I find offensive as I'm not acting "straight" I'm just being me.

6. Naren

I can't come out, my parents would kick me out of the house haha

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a closet dweller also, although I'm not at all flamboyant really, actually looking at me and talking to me you would have no clue. I do have a pink shirt, although I haven't seen it in a while, but I like to pull the "tough guys wear pink" joke because I don't really care what I wear.

If you have a flamboyant personality, that's fine as long as you're okay with it. Personally I have a small attraction to flamboyant guys. There seems to be the stigma that it's bad to be a guy who is effeminate or flamboyant but that's bull crap really, the general rule I follow is Don't be an :***:hole and then your fine. And you really don't sound like one so the rest shouldn't matter. :slight_smile:

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I think most people don't really mind if you are strange in harmless ways. You provide them with a source of amusement in an otherwise humdrum and dull day-to-day existence, and you bring a little light into their lives. To me, someone who flames to the point of excess can keep me in fits of giggles for the rest of the day, and I've never felt any resentment over it. I think it's nice that some people actually have the nerve to put themselves out there.

9. King

King Guest

I pretty much thrive in the idea that I don't "come off as gay" but I mean, I have some feminine traits... Mainly my taste in music and the way I carry myself when I'm comfortable with the people I'm around. I don't think people really assume I'm gay until we get to know each other and I open up a bit, and then I think the fact I might be gay becomes kind of "there-but-who-ACTUALLY-knows-so-I'm-not-going-to-say-anything".
    So generally, no... I'm not flamboyant (and I'm still kind of in the closet).

10. Brenny

At this point in my life, I'd rather not be seen as being gay by others unless I specifically tell them. I have become much more accepting of others being "flamboyant" (I hate to even use that term; its so derogatory coming from straights) and when I am comfortable, I won't hide that side of me. For those who are being themselves, that is great! It's so hard to withhold all the time and worry about "does this make me seem gay?" or any of that crap. It feels way better to just be yourself. I think i confuse most people by how I act. They don't usually straight up peg me as gay but I have been labeled "fruity" several times.

There was this one time, a friend of mine said, "I want to play you a song. It always reminds me of you..." At that point I KNEW exactly where this was going. She turned on the song and before it even started I said, "Your So Gay" (Katy Perry, on the off chance you didn't know). She looked back around at me and was like, "HOW did you know?!"

Gee. Just a wild guess. I always thought I carried myself in a way that wasn't feminine. I have never been masculine but I thought I at least was just in between where I was neither. Lesson? You really can't fully hide it. Usually people pick up the fact that you are "different."

And honestly, it is way more FUN to be at least little flamboyant. Guys like that take on a new level of hotness IMO.

#10 Brenny, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  11. It's definitely fun to be flamboyant, I'll give you that :slight_smile: I actually love the word "flamboyant" (except when used in a derogatory manner), it seems so self-defining, like "buzzzz" or "swirly" and in freshman English class, we had to pick our 3 favourite words, mine were "pandemonium", "flamboyant" and "pickle".

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Amen.

I am shamelessly flamboyant and ridiculous and I'm wild and that's how I like it. If anyone doesn't like it, I can promise you that I won't be the one losing any sleep over it. I think everyone spends way too much time worrying about how others are going to perceive and judge them when at the end of the day we're all freaking out over opinions that don't matter AT ALL. SO WHAT if someone thinks you're a fag because you're wearing pink? Or purple? Or because you dyed your hair silver? Or whatever? WHO CARES?

If you look good and you like it, that's great! More power to you! "Now get those heels on and dump some glitter down your pants because we're going clubbing tonight! GET IN THE CAR!!" Questions like "Where's my drink?" and "Who did I sleep with last night?" are so much more important than "I wonder if that guy over there hates me because I'm wearing leopard spandex and I have a pedicure?" You know what I mean? Who is that guy in your life? He's a nobody. Your ass has never looked perkier and those jello shots you all did went down smooth--you don't have a second in the day for that nonsense now.

There are of course people out there who just can't stand the fact that you're happily doing your own thing, and they want to let you know about it, and you just have to stand up and tell them to fuck off, quite frankly. What are they going to do? Probably nothing. I've only ever had one person say or do anything to my face. He was drunk and he called me a fag, and then he told me not to look at him. I said, "If I'm looking at you, it's only because you have the biggest tits that I've ever seen on a man." And then my friends literally chased him out of the bar when they heard what was going on, and then I had one of the funnest nights of my life.

I'm waiting for the day when some idiot decides to swing at me to make a homophobic point. You'll all see me in the Huffington Post describing a gay-bashing gone wrong. I've had to break boards in my self-defense class. I wouldn't mind breaking a few bottles either if you know what I mean. Anyone who says effeminate or flamboyant gays aren't tough, or are somehow lesser men because of who they are, have no clue what they're talking about.

13. Lewis

I'm not 'flamboyant' as such, but I definitely have 'tendencies' of a 'flamboyant' individual (I hate all of the words that I am putting in speech marks!), but as a child I was definitely a lot more 'flamboyant'. I don't think people mean to act a certain way, it's just how they are and I don't think that they should be judged for it.

I think over the years I've somewhat trained myself to act the way I do now (more 'masculine') and I'm now kind of in the middle. It depends what kind of mood I'm in, I'm a little out-there and confident when I'm drunk, but when I'm sober I'm very...average acting.

I don't think it matters how a person acts to be honest!

14. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Thanks to my being raised by a fabulously flamboyant gay man, I ended up adopting some of his habits, like the hand thing, the tendency to use fancy French words on occasion, using pet names on people, bursting out into Madonna songs, and just being flamboyant and silly without caring what others think. But I'm female, so it's less obvious than it would be if I was a dude.

15. super confused

Personally, I am not flamboyant about my sexuality, but I say, "It's not me, but if it's you, and you've got the confidence, go for it and more power to you."

16. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm not flamboyant, but I do have some tendancies that one might see in a sterotypical gay guy. For instance -

- I LOVE dancing and singing, not randomly, only really when I have the courage to (either via drunk or playing a dancing game)
    - Wear very tight jeans, just cause I like the way it makes my butt look nicer :lol:
    - When I'm not aware how I'm walking, I generally walk "swurvy" as apposed to "straight," haha, no pun intended.
    - I don't really like the typical sports (e.g. football)
    - Love talking about guys all the time with my female friends
    - Generally pretty romantic/sweet, I like lovey stuff, whereas a lot of guys just think I'm crazy or 'gay', haha.

Other than those I don't really have any other flamboyant tendancies, you wouldn't really be able to guess I'm gay by looking at me, or hanging out with me for short periods of time, while I have these tendancies they rarely show and are barely noticable.

17. I've been accused of being flamboyant before. People have pointed out to me that sometimes when I talk, I'll sound like the stereotypical gay guy. I really won't even know it either, unless I listen to myself on a recording..

This usually comes about when I'm working, as I'm a cashier at a grocery store. I'm always so friendly, and I guess it just sort of happens. I can't help the way I talk though, so I'm not sure what to do about it if anything..

You would never think I was "gay" though just by looking at me. I'm practically built like a truck, I have a large frame.. and broad shoulders even if I am like 5'7". But, I guess it doesn't matter to me really.. if I come across as "flamboyant", then that's just what happens. I can't spend my time worrying about how "effeminate" I might come across to others, all I can do is be myself.. and let other people accept me or reject me. You can always find new friends.. :icon_bigg

18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Well, most people assume I'm straight too, even though I'm not extremely masculine.

19. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There is nothing wrong with being flamboyant. Don't ever let anyone tell you that expressing yourself in a "feminine" way is wrong--it will offend people (who have notions of how men ought to act), but you know what? Fuck them and their gender/sex/sexuality stereotypes. (This, coming from a femme woman who hates it when I am presumed to be straight.)

I really, really hate the fact that feminine men are hated on--by straights and (often masculine) queers alike--because they are feminine. Men who act feminine are seen as "lowering" themselves because femininity is a step down from masculinity. Fem(me) shaming and fem(me)phobia sucks. :frowning2:

#19 waitingfordawn, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  20. Brenny

I have never thought of things in that way but you are so right! Who said men and masculinity are higher or better then women or femininity??! Screw that BS. I thought everybody was supposed to be equal and treated as such.