1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobs, Galore!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DJT, Apr 5, 2012.

1. DJT

DJT Guest

I recently started a new job and it got me thinking, What type of jobs do my fellow EC'ers have? ... So here's a thread asking ...

What Job do you have/ had? What was your best/ worst job? etc...

Whether you're a student, retired, unemployed, full time, part time, lawyer, doctor, kitchen assistant, farmer etc.. I'd like to know :slight_smile:

Ps - I'm a Farmer, and i've recently become a Kitchen Assistant until I become a student in September :grin:

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently unemployed. But I’m in negotiations to be hired on as a Janitor at a local learning facility. Luckily I love cleaning.

But in the past I've:

Been the cook for a local club. I was responsible for running the kitchen entirely. One night we sold 400 some odd dollars worth of food with only myself, one waitress, and a dishwasher/assistant waitress. I had a blast doing it, but was very unprepared for all the responsibilities that running a kitchen/staff entails.

Worked at a grocery store as an overnight shelf stocker. It wasn't too bad, but my drug-obsessed co-workers made the nights miserable. And the manager threatened me upon my quitting, but a month later he was begging me to come back. It was my first real job, so I am grateful for the experience it gave me.

Worked at a small bakery in town. I liked it, but I didn't get to bake anything. And I am terrible at running a cash register. No one wants to pay $450 for a sandwich and a cup of coffee... xD

I also did 4 days worth of working at a small cafe too. I was so stressed out there that my hair started falling out. I had a nervous breakdown and quit.

And my first under-the-table job was at 16. I helped a family friend clean out an abandoned house. The people who lived there left a huge mess. And there were more cockroaches than I would have ever though existed.

3. Bolin

I'm unemployed currently (sad face), but I've had three in the past:

My first was during my sophomore, junior and senior years in high school. It was kinda under-the-table-ish, I guess. My orchestra teacher grouped a quartet together to play at weddings (I actually had considerable talent back then xD ). The pay was good, but since there were only about 2 weddings a year, I didn't get paid that much, technically.

My second job was at Bojangle's (a Southern-style fast food American restaurant for those of you who do know it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )...I was a cook there. I absolutely hated it. I had to deal with raw, bloody chicken meat every single day, and anyone who knows me knows that I despise handling raw meat and will break down in tears if I'm around it too much (makes cooking meat-based dinners...very hard, to say the least. xD ). I stayed there for about a week or two before quitting.

My last job was at Sam's Club, a wholesale store and competitor to Costco. I was a cashier/customer service person there. Overall, I guess I liked it. One of my supervisors and a couple of the managers made things stressful there, but most of my coworkers and bosses were amazing. Unfortunately, I got really sick around this time last year and missed three days in a row...plus I missed a couple of more days because my car started stalling while I was driving. They eventually fired me for missing too many days (five, to be exact. Yes, strict, I know.)...

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My first job ever was as a personnel trainer/packer/machine operator/safety mentor at a local factory that most of my family works at, in some capacity. Most of them are engineers or supervisors. It was only a summer gig for me though--every year they hire an untold amount of college kids as temporary workers. It was pretty terrible. I worked second shift, 3:00pm-11:00pm, five days a week. The heat was unbearable. It wouldn't be unheard of to hear of people fainting or having a heat stroke there. As a rule I would always add 15 degrees to whatever the temperature outside was to guess the temperature inside. I worked there for two years in a row, and I also worked there over my Christmas break one year. I lost at least 10 pounds every summer because I never had any time to sit down or eat, and plus you know, I sweated it all out. :rolle:

Right now I'm interning at my hometown's Intensive Probation and Supervision Office, and through that I got hired at the Clerk of Court's office next door. I'm just going to be a page, mostly. I'll be filing, working the front desk, and running errands for the clerk and the judge and stuff like that. Plus, whenever the ISP office gets busy I'm going to fill in over there too to help them give drug tests or help with paperwork if they're behind by writing up affidavits and violation reports, orders to release/hold, that sort of thing. And I get to use those work hours for class credit too! So I'm really happy with it. I love it there.

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently too young to get a job, lol, but I plan to be a doctor (endocrinologist, to be specific) when I'm old enough. It'll be good money and I'll be able to save lives -- which is what I dream of doing. I also want to find the cure to diabetes (disease that I have) in the process. I'm going to work hard for it! :grin:

If all else fails, I'll be a scientist. Science has always been my favorite subject and always will be. It fascinates me and I always want to know more about it.

6. Cascade

I guess my first job was working for my dad's yardcare company, power raking, power vaccing and aerating lawns in the Spring. I still have to work when Spring comes around. I hate it; I'm not suited for physical labour, this is why I'm in school.

My current job is at a pet store. It's pretty good for my first official job. I get to use my knowledge to help people with their pet problems and I sell assorted pets and things.

7. FJ Cruiser

When I was old enough to push a lawn mower around the neighborhood, I would go around with my brother to houses and mow for some extra money. We also raked leaves in the fall, but it never snowed enough to break out the shovels.

The summer before my senior year of high school I did an internship at a at the university in my hometown. It was at a lab that researched new applications for explosives. My job was just helping out in the lab in any way I could, which mainly involved mixing powdered explosives called thermites and making simple tools in the machine shop.

If you consider it an occupation, I'm a full-time college student, which if you make good enough grades and say the right things in your scholarship essays, is a money maker in the sense that you can cover costs with scholarships somewhat.

I'm really wanting to get an internship at an engineering firm for this summer, but that probably won't happen. Instead I'll probably be taking summer classes at the same university where I had my internship and then work in some sort of retail so I can save up for studying abroad.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first job was at a pizza joint, and I worked there for six months. I liked it OK. Then I got hired to do market research for radio stations. We had to call people at random, see if they listened to one of the radio stations we were interested in, and then ask if they'd listen to music over the phone, and "rate" it for us. The responses would then be sent back to the radio stations so they could change their playlists accordingly. It was a weird job, but I sorta liked it - I worked there off and on for about six years.

Lex

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work part-time as a substitute teacher for the school district in which I live in. That's actually been my only job but I've had it for about 4 years now. I do like the job and working with the students, not to mention that the money is okay paying. It's nice being not that much older than my students because I can relate to them more. Not to mention get compliments on my clothing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Besides that I have just been a student, which is a job all in its own.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work as a crew member at my on campus television production company. It's nice because this is what I am majoring in.

11. Subwoofer

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just a High School student here.

12. timo

I'm still a student (urban design at uni, pretty damn good) but in the weekends I'm a postman (is that the right word? :grin:). Looking for another job though, a friend told me they're hiring at H&M so I'm going to apply there! :icon_bigg

13. duriru

I'm a med student, so I've got no time left for a job lol.

When I was younger, I worked for like a month as a tour guide with some friends in a local bird park. I mostly did it to practice my English (a lot of tourists go there) and for fun, since the food there is kind of expensieve, and I ended up spending more by eating there than what I got paid lol.

14. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now I'm a stay at home mom and a full time college student. I've already gone to uni for International Relations, I graduate in May with a degree in Criminal Justice, and I've been accepted in the Business Administration for the upcoming fall semester. I guess I'm a bit of a career student?
    My favorite job was an under the table babysitting job. I used to babysitting these four kids after school and during the summer. It paid awesome and I really, really loved the family.

15. Fintan

I work in Canadian politics now. My worst job was working in an automobile factory in the summer... soo hot and I hate manual labour ;P And by far my best job ever was as a tour guide at Buckingham Palace, loved the place, the people and the tourists!

16. I'm a student. By far, my worst (and only) occupation ever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Artemicion

Right now I'm my own employer in the way that I'm making iOS games at home - but really I'm pretty much unemployed. But I've been a cashier/server at a café. An office job which deals with miscellaneous tasks. A stocking person at Staples and...being a full-time student.

18. Jonathan

I'm currently unemployed. Besides being a full time student, I was a waiter a pizza/Italian restaurant for about two years. I liked it there and all my coworkers were awesome. I quit partly due to the fact that I was moving to the city and partly due to the fact that the new owners were awful.

19. BudderMC

Full-time student (engineering at that) here. I also work part-time in a group home for people with developmental disabilities. Cooking, cleaning, emergency seizure protocols, etc. I plan on keeping that as long as I can manage it with school, 'cause it pays well :/

Taking summer classes too, and keeping that job. If I can pull it I'll work somewhere on campus too, since class doesn't eat up that much time (probably food services or something).

20. TheLadyPrince

I'm unemployed and have never had a job before in my life. I'm currently looking for work and am TERRIFIED. Mostly because of the never having a job before thing so I have no idea what I'm in for when I actually do start work. Although, when I get my driver's liscense, my parents have talked about me helping my dad deliver motorbikes. He has his own little type of motorbike delivery business. He mostly just drives around a lot in a van.