1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition of 'gay lisp'? haha

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by October, Apr 5, 2012.

1. October

Yeah so could someone please explain what this means? Does it apply to both guys and girls?

2. sanguine

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: roflmao: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

that made my day

3. King

King Guest

It applies to boys.
    The gay lisp is just the way some gay boys talk... It's hard to really get it through the computer, but think "OMG FAB" in a feminine tone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It isn't an actual lisp, just the way some boys talk.

4. KatKut

5. Naren

I've heard some people mention this, never knew what it was, lol

6. Loras

I was just curious is the gay lisp a fem gay trait? because I know a few guys that talk with a lisp but their not prarticularly feminin, including me but genurally only when im talking to girls

7. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "gay lisp" is done with infliection. I dont believe its actually a lisp more a method of infliection that was learned in childhood. not sure how to describe it but its higher and thus associated with fem gay guys.

8. KatKut

I think they have that lisp,,, because they speak like ladies with a male voice,,,

9. Ben

Ben

I was reading through a few papers on this the other day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: as someone who has the 'gay voice', I neither think of it as a negative attribute nor one that can easily be changed.

The stereotypical voice of a gay man holds a subtle kind of sexual breathiness, emphasised on the vowels. You know what I mean, the kind of voice that attractive women use on chocolate adverts, Just a bit less exaggerated. And there's much more pitch change, especially at the end of phrases, where there might be a huge lift and fall thing going on.

The gay lisp that you're asking about is a slightly longer 's' and 'z' sound.
    There also tend to be other changes in the way those sounds come out, alongside the 't' and 'd' sounds. Now lots of Americans come to study at my university, and I'm pretty tuned into the 'gay voice', but I'm constantly thinking that the American guys have something a bit gay going on, even when they're extremely straight. It turns out that certain things that make 't', 'd', 's' and 'z' sound gay are actually associated with the working class in North East America, which is obviously not associated with homosexuality. So here I am in good old Scotland, identifying little gay bits in speech when those bits in particular would be identified as pretty straight from where they come from. So the gay voice is not universal, you'll find all the bits that make the gay voice sound gay in different accents around the world, and different cultures probably identify the gay voice in a slightly different way. But yeah, the gay lisp is just a different kind of 's' sound, usually identified if it's in the context of lots of other variations in speech. : )