1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I love gays! But it's still a sin"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dreamcatcher

So the other day I was in my Organic lab talking to my lab partner. For some reason or another, the conversation went to my lab partner's involvement in her church (I think this was due to some t-shirt she had that said something about Jesus). She was telling me that she used to be a lot more involved in her church until she switched to a different one. Out of curiosity, I asked her why she switched and she said it was because the congregation was allowing openly gay clergy direct mass...

I think I must have looked really shocked when she said that because right away she said, "Oh no! I have nothing against them! I love my gay friends dearly it's just the bible very clearly says it's a sin and that it's wrong, so I wanted to go to a church that supported my beliefs"... I just said ok and dropped the subject as I'm not out and it's kind of a sour spot for me.

My point to this story is that it kinda pisses me off when people say "Oh I love gay people but what they do is a sin.." ... I feel like it's as though people are saying "Yeah you're cool but you're still a bad and wrong person". Does this irritate anyone else or am I being overly sensitive about this? How would you respond to something like this?

2. KatKut

It does irritate me quite alot!!!

I find it the most annoying hypocrisy...

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny how people who say they love their gay friends still think they're going to hell. You'd think being religious and wanting to love their gay friends they'd think to do more thorough analysis of the book they treasure so much to see there isn't actually anything that really says being gay is a sin.

4. Jonathan

You're not the only one, I get really irritated when people say something like that. It's like they are purposely contradicting themselves by saying that they're okay with gay people when they so obviously aren't. I feel like people who say something like that are not truly thinking for themselves because in they're minds they have reached the conclusion that gay people are okay but instead of going with what they have decided, they use the conclusion that other people (such as religion) came up with and completely disregard their own.

As for her saying that it must be true if it's in the Bible I would respond with something like this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    [​IMG]

5. KatKut

exactly :grin:

you are so right,I also thought that because what they say doesn't make sense,it is actually quite contradicting instead... :slight_smile:

they should question why would gay people go to hell If they're Ok!If they don't harm anyone!If they did not choose to be that way!

#5 KatKut, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. I hate it. One of the main reasons I left Christianity. Urge your friend to think for themself! I personally would confront her about it, but I'm not sure if you're that type of person lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Vabrug

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have a friend like that. My friend has the biggest heart in the whole world and I know she doesn't mean to be prejudicial about it. I already told her to keep her beliefs to herself because it would cause her problems... People don't get it. It's annoying I admit it but she really thinks that gay people are going to hell... When her friend told her that he is gay she spent the whole morning crying and almost missed work. She TRULY believes that her dear friend is going to hell and that must hurt a lot.
    When I told her I'm bi she was really worried but she never treated me differently. She really thinks her prayer saved me because I spent the last few years with a boyfriend. But now I don't know how to tell her that I really like girls... I love her so much, she's like a sister to me, I don't wanna see her hurt...

8. FJ Cruiser

There's a lot of misunderstanding on most Christians' parts on LGBT issues, but as the replies in this thread have demonstrated, there's just as much misunderstanding about their beliefs as well.

Long story short, knowing where she's coming from, I wouldn't take offense to it.

9. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Yes, all homos are going to that special place in Hell, reserved for the lowest of pedophiles, murderers and rapists. There is nothing a happy, healthy, law abiding homo can do.

However, all those lovely, God loving straight men that beat their wives, honor kill their children, terrorize people, and live their lives as complete a-holes are going to Heaven, because they can be forgiven in the eyes of their respective God.

Ain't religion grand?

10. Pain

Pain Guest

Yeah... it is pretty irritating. It's pretty much like saying "This sin will definitely put you in hell..." when in Christianity all sin is to be looked at as equal. If she thinks being gay is a sin, then it would be equal to any lie she's ever told, any speech where she said "Oh my god," or anything like that. It's sad that we get people who rank wrongdoing through religion, when any religion's rules only apply to the follower. It's not a sin to those who don't believe it's a sin. Period.

11. dreamcatcher

Thanks for the replies everyone. Lots of harsh words on here... but I suppose I understand where everyone is coming from and I also understand her opinion as well. I really think she's a great person and I enjoy spending time with her. It just feels shitty to hear these things especially when you're working on the self acceptance part. I can't help but feel that every time I go to church or someone I care about says something negative about lgbt that I'm defective and born "wrong". What's worse is that I think a lot of these people are awesome but if I told them, they would probably say "It's ok to be gay just don't act on it". Which also makes me feel bad because it's like everyone in the world can fall in love and express their love, but I can't by virtue of being born wrong....

I just hate how I haven't even done anything about my sexuality and I still feel like this terrible person sometimes. Reconciling faith and sexuality is too damn hard sometimes. A part of me wants to, but a part of me just feels numb to it. Sorry for the rant. It's just something that gets to me and I felt the need to express it.

12. shy

shy

If god made me what I am he made me gay and he made me gay because it pleased him so and because he is fine with it. Therefore he will love me as I am and when I live as a gay man he's pleased because I was ment to do so. If I was given my life to love it, to enjoy it and to develop the best I can then I am supposed to use the ability and feelings I was given and be well off with it and go right to heaven as I made the best of my life as is said in bible. :thumbsup:

If this is not true then f:***: hell and you'll see me in walhalla :lol::lol::lol:

13. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

This is by far the stupidest thing I've heard all day. I have nothing against Christians, but I DO despise hypocrites. It's the classic "I love you, but you're going to burn in hell for this."

14. Travel Tech

I think you're a good person and should not be tortured eternally, but I'll just worship this guy who will do that to you.

15. Naren

This subject came up in my religion class a few weeks ago (my mom makes me go lol) and the teacher (who is a catholic deacon) said that the church does not hate homosexuals, it protests homosexual acts, as a violation of "god's commandments"
    Personally, that's a load of bs, but at least it explained something.
    And I don't care if I go to hell, it's a lot of fun :grin:

#15 Naren, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

You're definitely not the only one that feels this way. It's so annoying when people say that sort of anti- gay stuff.

The kind of response she gave you is why there are so many LGBT people that have negative opinions about Christianity. I admit, I was very prejudiced against Christianity in high school. Now, I try to work out my anger toward religion by studying it.

It sucks that your friend said that amiga. (*hug*) It's hard when you're religious and people say things that are against gay people. My response was to turn away from religion. But religion is really important for some people, and turning away isn't always the best option for them.

It's not cool when you love someone and they totally disagree with who you are. And maybe this girl isn't an awful person, she's just really ignorant about LGBT people and about Jesus' message of love. Unfortunately these kind of religious people don't realize how much it hurts others around them. I've heard that kind of thing before too.

It's got to be really hard when religious people say bad stuff about gay people...and gay people say bad stuff about religious people...when you are both (at least somewhat) religious AND gay. At least trying to deal with both of those things. (*hug*)

Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. Jesus loved everyone for who they were. Next to the verses condemning homosexuality are also quotes about condemning mixing fabrics, etc. It's really tough to re-conciliate your faith when others are telling you something that is completely off-putting about the way you were born. You can't help that you were born gay. You love who you love. (*hug*) I don't think God would ever condemn you for loving someone or acting on that love.

My mom says Jesus would never condemn gay people for who they are. She is Christian but she doesn't believe in any of the anti-LGBT rhetoric. I wish more Christians would respond well to gay people. Because religion is important to some of the LGBT community. And I doubt God or Jesus (for whoever believes that) would ever want hate in the name of their religion.

You're not a terrible person at all. They're behind the curve and someday I hope religion will realize there's nothing wrong with love. :kiss:

Here's a website you might find interesting. I spent time on it when I was in hs.

The Gay Christian Network

Forum Index - GCN Message Board

17. IanGallagher

This view has unfortunately been around for a long time and can be summed up in: "love the sinner, hate the sin." Singer in the first X-Men movie even made a comment on it, in a way, with "love the mutant, but hate the mutation." I think a Senator, in real life, came up with that quote.

18. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eck. That hypocritical garbage is a very common sentiment around here and there's a whole lot more emphasis put on the "hate the sin" than the "love the sinner" part. I was once told by a preacher's wife that a homosexual who spent his life doing good deeds would go to hell and a heterosexual who was a terrible person would go to heaven because the heterosexual could ask for forgiveness whereas the homosexual never would.

Very few things in regards to homophobia irritate me more than this nonsense.

19. starfish

HA. I love the use of mixed quailifiers

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

I think this is what Nietzsche meant when he said "Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one."

#19 starfish, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  20. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep. Heard it before. I usually steer clear of these people as I want to be myself all the time and not feel like I'm being looked down upon. I find it kind of condescending, like... "You're great, but you know, I'm still better than you. And so is that guy since he's not gay either. Actually, pretty much everyone in this room since none of us are gay like you."

Herher :3