1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religions-- Plural

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pain, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Pain

Pain Guest

On this site, we see a lot of ideas between Christianity and the non-hetero orientation. But that's the vast majority of it. I was wondering if there was anything on being gay in an Islamic or Jewish setting, or any other religion for that matter. Any ideas, information, et cetera?

2. Well, I am a Pastafarian :thumbsup:

3. Pain

Pain Guest

The flying spaghetti monster, right? Haha :lol:

4. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Well, I come from an islamic family, and although my immediate family are pretty relaxed about this kind of stuff, my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. are really not. I am certain many would disown me if I told them:frowning2:

5. Travel Tech

I don't believe I've had any conflict between my homosexuality and my lack of belief.

6. TheLadyPrince

I once had a fairly religious Hindu friend and I tried asking him about his views on gays once. He sort of jumped around the answer but I'm pretty sure he was against gays and the like. Although, I'm not entirely sure if he was against it due to his religion or because of his own personal views. I never got the chance to bring that up.

7. KatKut

8. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I have a close friend who was raised Christian (though never was devote), and recently converted to Islam as she married a Muslim man.

As per her studies, the text is clear that male on male homosexuality is a capitol WRONG. However, both she and her husband are gay friendly, as they are 'moderates'.

Apparently her teachings are also very against medication (as it is with alcohol and coffee) as they are unnatural stimulants, and they have argued over having to medicate her son (from a previous relationship) as he suffers from ADD/ADHD and requires the medication to focus and function without outbursts or severe mood shifts.

I believe they are speaking specifically about clandestine bathhouses/brothels and not about legitimate massage parlors. As far as the 2 men on the show are concerned, they can both keep from their knees to their navels covered. I don't want to see that at all!

When he speaks of 'third gender' and the morally deviant, they are most likely speaking of transgendered people. Years ago, honestly, I didn't quite understand trans people myself. I found it confusing. Now that I've matured a little, it doesn't bother me in the least, and some of them are stunning.

It is no secret that Sharia (did I spell that right?) is very oppressive, strict and archaic. Let those who want to follow it do so.

#8 ArcherySet, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  9. Pain

Pain Guest

10. Artemicion

Raised with a Taoist/Buddhist background...but I haven't a clue what it says about homosexuality. But I suspect it doesn't say anything about it. Either way, religion is no longer a "thing" for me.

11. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oddly my beliefs were challenged for me by disease...not homosexuality. though im still not sure if my beliefs can be classified anywhere I'm gonna go with its closest to greek mythology and the druids...I think

12. Ben

Ben

You're very welcome to open discussions on different religions and their take on homosexuality. The reason there's a lot more about Christianity here is because it's seen as the dominant religion in the US and most of Europe, where most of our members are from, and lots of members have grown up in Christian households. I'm aware that there can be a fairly anti-religious tone around here, and it is a lot easier for members to profess their atheism than members who are religious to talk about it. But there are lots of positive things and progressive movements in all religions.

And yes, homosexual acts are illegal in Iran, so there's a very high rate of people getting gender reassignment surgery, as transsexualism is legal.