1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you have more than one best friend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My friend and I got into an argument about this. She thinks you can have more than one best friend. I told her that, by the nature of the word, you can only have one best friend. She said that she sometimes can't pick one friend out of her closest group of friends, and she claims all of them to be her best friend. I said that only means that she won't or can't pick one. She said that it's mean to say to someone, "Oh, your not my best friend," if they're a really good friend. I said that was just the truth, and that having one best friend doesn't mean you can't have any really good friends. She said that people sometimes say to her, "So who's your best friend?" and she can't pick and she just says "I don't know." I tell that she proved my point; it's not that she has more than one; it's that she doesn't know which one is her best.

It got kind of heated, but we eventually moved on to talking about something else. What do you guys think? Can you have more than just one best friend? Why or why not?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

3. I think you can have more than one best friend. I have two, but that's because I separate it by male and female. I have one guy who I consider my best friend and one girl who I consider my best friend. I think having a lot of people you call best friend kind of defeats the meaning of it but having like 2 or 3 I wouldn't think anything of.

4. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

yes you can have more than one best friend because you just have good friend who u can trust and tell them anything but for me...if it was down to like me pick my bestest friends i probably wouldnt be able to pick one i would be down to a top 2

5. Hollywood

i completly agree.

6. ok455

I used to have two best friends that was best friends with each other. Just like a earth quick things shift and change and we stop being friends.

I do think you can have more then one i see 3 bestfriends 2 or one. I think it shouldn't exceed 3

7. Scottish17

offcourse u can:S

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    To be honest I don't buy in to the best friend title at all. I have people who aren't my friends, I have friends (who I'd do a lot for and who would go out of their way for me) and I also have really really good friends (who I'd put my life on the line for without thinking twice).

The latter of them don't come along that often and I only have a few I'd class as being really good friends, but they're each as important to me as another. A best friend title, is rubbish to me because the person who inherits that title is the flavour of the month, one month it'll be person x and then when he/she slightly annoys you or when person z does something nice for you then they become your besty.

So... I don't have a best friend per say, I have a small group of my good friends (my besties i suppose) who i would do anything for.

hmmm hope this made some sense

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's possible to have two (or more) really great friends, and not have one over the other. For instance, I have one guy who I love going out and doing things with, and there's another guy who's great at just sitting and chatting with me. I don't think either of them are a better friend than the other, but I don't know if I'd call them both "best friends". I try not to deal with absolutes. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Kimi

Hmm, sounds good:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

11. i have more than one i have three .. erica greatest person ever lol .. nicole who i have known since i was 4 and dakota who i love with every thing i have to love him with

12. sdc91

I have a ring of best friends. We all consider each other to be our best friends. So, yeah, you can have more than one.

13. Eleitra

Eleitra Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    hey i have like four best friends got a problem with it???

14. gysb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Best friends is just the label u give 4 some1 that u like most...
    However,
    we can actually make it "bestfriends" for instance

It's all on u, whether u want to have other friends as your best friend as well or not.

I have two best friends, we all 3 different characters but there's a thing that put us together...

Tht's all!!

15. lodiug

I have one best friend, and probably 5 or 6 really good friends.
    I call that person my only best friend because we hang out more, we have alot (almost everything) in common, and we can talk about anything.

16. xTrentonJamesx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :confused:
    Of course you can.
    Just treat both friends equally.
    ...?

17. surfrboykai

yah, i have like, 3 or 4

18. Jim1454

Nope.

Definition of Best: the person who is most outstanding or excellent; someone who tops all others; "he could beat the best of them"

If you're going to refer to someone as your 'best friend' it suggests that their a better friend than anyone else. However, you could refer to someone as being 'one of your best friends' in that they are close to being your best friend - closer than most of your acquaintances.

19. hawkeye685

hawkeye685 Guest

Of course you can have more than 1 best friend. I have 3 or 4 best friends