1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a car necessary for a relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gustav, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have neglected to get my permit and licence:tears:
    Does that hurt my chances with dating?

2. 24601

Although it's more convenient I don't think it hurts all that much. You should probably get on top of that, though, since having a license is a lot easier and allows you to do a whole lot more with your free time.

3. sdc91

You're only 17. Still in HS-- def get it before college. And the sooner you get it, the more independent you are (and the more places you can go).

I got my permit sort of late (16.5). I regret it, but it's better than 18.

4. kevinx519

hmm..well it does grant you more freedom but i dont think you need it to start a relationship per se. but it does make it easier to go on dates without your parents questioning what you two are up to. if you dont have your license and still want to go on dates, then i suggest walking to places close by to your house. i think thatll give you some special one on one time. good luck getting it soon, though. i regret getting my permit so late. (probably about the same age as sdc got his)

5. jroakwood

it obviously cant hurt to have your license in a relationship.
    sure can get you around easier obviously.

i would just say its a dating advantage.

6. ok455

I'm sure it will be at some point. I know when i was messing with this guy he dint have his license and it was a pain bringing him over and then taking him back home.

You really should get your license. Its going to suck finding a job and going to college. I do find it annoying giving people rides from place to place

And finding a job on the bus line and u will be like everyone elese complaining about the bus being late and/or crowded

I would rather date a guy with a piece of %$^ car then no car

7. Kimi

I wouldn't say it's necessary to have a car but if you don't, that's a bit of problem.

Not saying that if you have a car, you gonna get a date though:rolleyes:

8. Defender

Defender Guest

I don't have my license. I don't think I'll ever get it either.

:slight_smile:

9. s5m1

Transportation will make things MUCH easier. While not a necessity, it will make a big difference.

10. fingertips

fingertips Guest

i'd rather not have a car, to be honest

i like being able to think to myself on a bus rather than watching the road, and a bit of walking (or cycling) now and then could do me a lot of good

i just don't think i can can keep up being carfree forever, though :|

11. step49x

I don't think a car would be necessary for a relationship. It would make transportation easier, but it's not the only option.

I think it kinda depends on several things. If you're trying to have a relationship where your partner lives a 1/2 hour+ away, it would make things easier. If you both live pretty close together, or you can take the bus, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. While it might be a tad annoying if one person has to do all the driving, I don't think that would kill the relationship.

I myself have my license, but don't have a car. If I want one, I'd have to [a] buy a car, and pay for insurance. I have an on-campus job, but that doesn't pay enough for me to have a car. I also have pretty much no use for one, besides going home once every 1-2 months. So, whether I want to have one or not, I probably won't get a car until after college.

I'm also not a huge fan of driving. When I'm on campus, I just bike everywhere.

12. donkeyz12212

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure if two people are into each other, transportation will hardly have an impact on the relationship. If it does, then I think it just shows that the relationship was not right to begin with honestly.

But as others have indicated, having a car does make things easier.

13. Eleitra

Eleitra Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    hey if you like someone and you aint got a ride.... and if they dont like it its there fault... cars ruin the world anyway

14. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Sweet! I'm not the only one to have done this!!! But now, I'm actually going to take my permit test on Monday. Hopefully I get it on the first time.

The only reason why I'm actually just bothering with getting my permit, then my license is for two things:
    - Get to my job (if I ever get one)
    - My mom told me she'll pay for the car, but I'd have to pay for the gas and stuff.

On topic:
    I don't think it will ruin your chances. All my friends prefer to just walk oinr take the bus/train to get wherever.