1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cautionary tale: Man gets arrested for coercing teen boys into camming

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a heads-up. I know that some of our members go on various chat or random video chat sites and strike up conversations... and sometimes do more than that... with strangers.

This guy gently "innocently" encouraged teens (14 to 16 year olds mostly) to do sexual things on cam, captured the video, and then sent the videos to the kids, saying he'd post the videos on tube sites unless the kids agreed to do more cam sessions with him.

He got caught and now faces 30 years in prison... but he had victimized over 100 boys before he was caught.

This is just a friendly reminder to be thoughtful and consider that what you do in video chat -- with anyone, regardless of whom it is or appears to be -- could end up on a tube site somewhere. Forewarned is forearmed.

Here's the original article.

2. BudderMC

I think the most terrifying part of cases like these is that not only are there tons of victims that go unheard, but there are also tons of criminals that also go undiscovered. Multiply those two numbers together and it's scary to think how many people are victimized, just because of something so freeing as the Internet. Most of the things we do online we take for granted, but stories like these really put into perspective just how at risk everyone actually is...

Though, it's good to hear of cases that get resolved. Any progress is better than nothing.

3. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Its good to warn people of the dangers of the Internet, however you're not going to save people from making stupid decisions when they think there won't be repercussions for their actions.

I've had several boys under the age of 18 expose themselves on cam (on a website the name of which I cannot post here), I just chuckle and move on. Its made me realize I should avoid a certain video chat room...

Fortunately the bottom line is, this guy was a freaking loser, who preyed on young, immature boys. Now he is going to prison for 30 years.

He got what he deserved. Next.

#3 ArcherySet, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  4. ANightDude

I'm really curious as to how he got caught. I always imagine some kind of cyber police or something...

5. Zontar

I imagine that the bold details pretty much sum it up.

6. IamwhoIam12

That's disgusting. Im not usually a hater, but I hope that he gets the full 30 years.

7. Caoimhe Fayre

I wish it was life, not just 30 years. he's victimized SO MANY kids, he should never get out because PROTECTING kids from him should be valued more than letting him go free one day.

he was caught because one boy broke down and told his brother, and his brother told his parents, who contacted the police in Michigan, according to the link provided.

yeah, exposing yourself on camera is dumb. teenagers do dumb things. that's why parents, police, society are supposed to work at protecting them. particularly from pedophiles and creepers.

8. Mad Man L

What a creepy person. What disturbs me the most is the fact he was blackmailing them into more cam sessions against their will.

But those teenagers really need to be more careful. Going on webcam naked and doing sexual things with someone you don't know is never smart.

9. BudderMC

One of the boys played along with his 'rules' for a couple times, but got so stressed out he told his brother, who then told their parents, who then told the police. Another boy did something similar.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was an Oprah show dealing with sexual abuse and sexual predators a couple of years ago and an expert on it indicated that, based on research and interviews with predators that had been caught, they estimated that the average sexual predator abused or harmed close to 400 kids before getting caught. I assume that was speaking of online abuse, such as what this guy did, but I'm not sure.

I do know it is an epidemic problem. The staff at EC has had a handful of situations where a member has come to us because a predator was contacting them, encouraging them to do sexual things online, or trying to meet up with them in person. In a couple of cases, we've been able to get law enforcement involved and get the perp arrested. In several other cases, we've been able to scare the shit out of the predator so that at least he's left the member alone. But that's a drop in the bucket.

11. Mimerio

I always say No to them if they ask me such questions, and No is always final, but surely there is a "Disconnect" button on these sites?

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is, but what I've observed from the teens I talk to is it is often the most insecure ones, with the lowest self esteem, that these creepers manage to find... and they build them up, flatter them, become their "best friend" and then slowly encourage them to do things. So the teens don't *want* to disconnect, because they believe that these people really care about them. It's really insidious and evil. But... forewarned is forearmed.

13. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, what a moron.

Just disgusting.