1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

last states to legalize

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pronua, Apr 9, 2012.

1. pronua

Assuming that eventually all US states will legalize same-sex marriage at some point in time, what state or states do you think will be the last to do so? I think probably Texas or Georgia(sadly where I live).

2. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Alabama will be one of the last 3 I'm sure. -is where I grew up-

3. Gerit

Kentucky.

It will be Kentucky.

Just the South in general, I think. Kansas here is really bad, and we're not even officially part of the 'southern states.'

4. October

Most certainly. I live here now and unfortunately, beliefs don't adapt here as fast as other states. I have encountered people that are still really racist towards African Americans so I can only imagine how long it will take for homosexuality to be accepted :frowning2:

5. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True, the south will pretty much always be homophobic. ~.~

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2012 at 08:34 PM ----------

My favorite type of person to talk to (sarcasm) :dry: We'll never understand those people and sadly they're breeding a whole other generation of homophobs and racisits.

6. steel03

It will be the states that consistently score lowest in things like population % with college degrees, literacy rates, population % above the poverty line, etc. Probably Mississippi and Alabama. Possibly Kansas, Oklahoma, and the Dakotas will trail as well. Texas and Georgia will cave sooner, I think, because of the liberal powerhouses of Atlanta, DFW, Houston, and Austin.

7. October

I think that was and ignorant thing to say and was way out of line. Even though there are homophobia problems here there are plenty of people that support homosexuality. Don't be hateful and degrading towards my home.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2012 at 09:44 PM ----------

Thankfully I know parents that are teaching their children to accept everyone no matter who they love or what they look like. Hey, every little bit helps haha

8. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats good to hear. :slight_smile:

9. breakingboxes

10. ANightDude

Texas has been becoming steadily more democratic over the years. DFW, San Antonio, El Paso, Austin, etc. are actually pretty liberal areas. Unfortunately we have a conservative government because only the conservatives vote, because the conservatives are the only ones who really run. Liberals/Democrats never are very exciting or strong here.

Needless to say, I'm confident the Supreme Court will overturn the ban in the same way it overturned abortion bans in Roe v. Wade. So we won't have to wait around for the states to act.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly think we'll see the Supreme Court repeal DOMA before the Deep South states, on their own, institute marriage equality :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Edit: And NightDude already beat me to that. My bad.

12. Obsidian

Sometimes here in Michigan it seems like no one cares enough to do anything about it, but it will probably happen evantually...

13. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

Honestly, for generally being a blue state, there is nothing going here for gays.

14. Emberstone

I would say Idaho. It was the last state to rebuke the Klu Klux Klan/aryan nation (as in, within the last decade). outside of a few moderate areas, the rest of the state is extremely backwards (right wing extremist idealogues)

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not nearly so confident. We have the asshats that Bush Jr. appointed, along with the asshat Clarence Thomas, who is corrupt as hell (his wife is taking millions in bribe money from everybody, and he sees no problem with this) and only 4, sometimes 5, voices of reason on the court.

Additionally, in recent decisions, the Supremes have crafted their decisions to be so narrow as to apply only to the specific circumstances before them, specifically limiting most of them so they do not set precedence.

I really, really hope I'm dead wrong -- even Scalia made a statement somewhere to the effect that "we may have to acknowledge the rights of gay people" so I think there's hope... but they have been responsible for some decisions that have been beyond terrible recently.

As for last state to allow gay marriage... I'd probably lean in the direction of Mississippi. Even Kentucky has a few places that are somewhat liberal and openminded. Alabama and Georgia as well, have some very liberal places. Mississippi, not so much... let's not forget this is the state that, after being told by the Feds to allow a lesbian student to attend prom, set up a fake prom for her and a dozen other "undesirable" students, while everyone else went to a different prom. And everyone, from the superintendent on down, saw no problem with this. So that's where my vote goes.

16. dairyuu

South Carolina. When the parties switched social positions in the 60's, South Carolina switched the hardest. And, seeing as it's the state that started the American Civil War (which amazingly is still an issue in parts of the south), and historically chose radical right-wing positions, prospects don't look good for GLBT South Carolinians.
    Although you have to consider the colonies- will Guam, the Northern Marianas, or Puerto Rico legalize it anytime soon?

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think it'll be Utah. The Mormon population there holds an unbelievable amount of sway, and the only bastion of liberalism in the entire state is Salt Lake City, really. Without a doubt Mississippi and Alabama will be among the last five.

EDIT: I'm just going to comment on the SCOTUS debate too. I think the supreme court will inevitably rule in favor of marriage equality. Windsor v United States is bulletproof.

#17 Kidd, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm basically with ANightDude. I think there will be a federal law or Supreme Court ruling before we get down to a final few states holding out. Maybe not with the current justices, but that's my prediction.

19. ANightDude

I believe Perry v. Brown/Schwarzenegger is reaching the Supreme Court first, if I believe. Earlier in the year they predicted that will reach SuCo late June or July. Could be wrong though.

20. starfish

Us Texans are a weird bunch. We really can be schizophrenic at times.

Up until the mid 80's Texas was primarily a Democratic state. It wasn't until the religious right took hold in the Republican party that they became successful in Texas.

For some odd reason we like loud mouthed absurd politicians. We especially like them as Governor.

The spirt of the wild west is still very much alive in Texas. A common thread among Texans is that we don't like people messing in our business, and we don't trust the government. However for some odd reason we keep letting the religious right pass these laws that every one hates. Though eventually we tire of them and repeal them.

The other driving force is that Texas is very popular with large corporations. I have a feeling that in the next 24-36 months you'll see many tech companies starting a campaign to repeal the gay marriage ban as a way to attract talent. Of course Rick Perry will take credit for it, as another thing he did to create job. That is unless we find another jackass to take credit for it, by then.

So no I don't think Texas will be last state to legalize gay money, I mean gay marriage.