1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossing Legs...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Brenny, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Brenny

I started noticing the past several months I cross my legs when I sit. Not all the time, but I do it quite a bit more often lately... Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I basically accepted WHO I am or that I am more aware of my random habits and how indicative they are of my orientation but my question...

Is crossing legs a more common thing with gays? How common is it?

The other thing is I have a weird habit of sitting in my chairs with a leg up where I am sitting on my foot. I never really see other people do that at school. Maybe it is a kid thing. Does anybody else do that as well?

2. KaotikPrincess

I do not cross my legs often at all when I sit, I don't know why, I just never found it comfortable but i see a lot of proper girls do it a lot. I notice the feminine gay guys do it from time to time so I know it is common amongst the gays :slight_smile:

Also I used to sit one foot under my tooshie back when I was able to before my accident, it was quite comfortable and I do see it often amongst everyone I know :slight_smile:

3. Countervail

I don't think that it is an indication taht you are gay, I have straight friends who cross their legs, I cross my legs even before I discovered that I am not straight .
    and I have gay classmates who doesn't like to cross their legs.

It could be because of my sleeping habit, I used to put a pillow in between my upper legs and i cannot sleep w/o a pillow there.

I do this and some other weird stuffs at school, my classmates often call me ninja because of the way I sit.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think crossing your legs is something that is more common with gay guys than with straight guys or women. A lot of people cross their legs and I think it's just the way you feel comfortable sitting. I tend to cross my legs when I'm sitting down but it's just a habit. I don't do it on purpose or think to do it really.

5. Ridiculous

There is definitely a feminine association with cross-at-the-knee legs, and although I would say it is probably more common in gay guys I don't think it is common enough for the difference to be noticeable. I mean, if 50% of gay guys cross their legs while only 10% of straight guys cross their legs.. there are still going to be more straight guys crossing their legs.

My legs are constantly flailing around when I'm sitting, I can never get comfortable :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

6. Emberstone

I tend to cross my legs. I am rather tall, and when I sit down, crossing my legs is more comfortable, as most chairs, my knees would be higher than my lap if I saw normally.

7. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I'm the same with him.

8. Mad Man L

This sums me up. I'll sit in many positions, and one of those positions is semi-crossing my legs. I don't cross all the way otherwise my junk starts getting crushed. >.<

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Around here, lot's of guys cross their legs when they sit, including straight guys.
    The important thing to know is there is no such thing as 'gay' behaviour, only stereotypes in the heads of less informed people.:icon_bigg
    One thing I should tell you that it's bad on the knees to sit to long with crossed legs. Though I cannot help myself most of the time:icon_wink

10. shy

shy

I do it, and I used to do it since I was... idk, 5 y.o. when I definitely did not know I was gay. But I heard it wasn't too healthy, it's supposed to cause varices (varicose veins) (not sure if ture, the fact, pretty sure the word is correct (german: Krampfadern), wiki-translation).

11. timo

I don't cross my legs when I sit, doesn't feel comfortable. Well I do sometimes cross them at the ankle but not at the knee. if that even makes sense

12. Peregrine

It could be that you got the idea in your head at a young age that it was "gay people behavior" and were unconsciously avoiding it. I've repressed and "policed" a lot of little things like that to avoid drawing any negative attention to myself. As I'm exploring my sexual identity issues more, I'm finding that some of the things I've repressed feel natural to me, and some don't. Others have even sorta become fetishes as a result of being suppressed to such an extent...the mind can do some strange things. :confused:

I think it's more likely a component of who you are and what feels natural to you rather than an indicator of a "type" of identity. Maybe there are behaviors proportionally more common among some groups, but they aren't caused by being one thing or another.

13. Valeyard

I used to cross my legs as a kid, but then someone told me I shouldn't, as it seemed feminine, so I didn't. Same thing happened when I started to swish my butt when I walked. Same Person, too.
    Now, I mostly cross at the angle, or just sit with my legs at a weird angle. I rarely cross my legs at the knee. I do when I want to, but not "just so I say I can".

14. Hot Pink

I just sit with my legs closed. Crossing my legs is just uncomfortable.

15. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

As a child my Grandmother forbade me from sitting any way other that cross-legged, except for at church where I was expected to keep my legs tight together and crossed at the ankles and tucked under the bench.

Now I usually sit with my feet propped up on the bottom shelf thing of my desk. My feet have to either be elevated so my lap is at a 90 degree angle from my torso or I have to sit on my feet. Any other way and I'm uncomfortable.

16. Mimerio

I do it all the time, I'm doing it now even! it's kind of fun, no idea why. I probably shouldn't do it often as it cuts off the circulation to my legs and feet :frowning2:

17. Mogenar

All I know is I hate sitting in most chairs. I sit under things, which is a part of Asperger's Syndrome (yes, I am aspie.)

18. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I used to cross my legs "like a lady", just to be different. I always felt as though I was some sort of comic book villain, sitting with my legs crossed and my fingers clutched... the evil homosexual kind of villain, watching the men, making them stir, and laughing to myself at how uncomfortable I make them.

"Who's that freak?!"
    "Is he gay?"
    "Is he looking at me!?"
    "Why am I getting a boner!? Oh no!!!!"
    "Don't look, don't look!"
    "Think about girls! Think about girls!"

As I grew, I now just rest my ankle on my opposite knee. To me that's a "masculine cross", but I don't believe it is in anyway indicative of ones sexuality.

#18 ArcherySet, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  19. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've been crossing my legs since elementary school. One kid (who was alwas an ass to me) laughed at me because "That's how girls sit," so I tried to stop myself from sitting like that. I started letting myself rest my ankle on my knee (what ArcherySet called a "masculine cross") after seeing a drawing of Alucard from the Castlevania series sit like that. That's still the most common way I sit, though I'll occasionally sit in a more feminine style.

20. Just Passing

My memory might be a bit fussy at this point, so I could be completely mis-remembering things, but still. I don't know about anyone else, but when I started school, possibly beforehand, we were always taught to cross our legs from an early age, as it looked more respectful and it took up less space in assemblies and other gatherings.

Before I learnt to cross my legs, I sat with my legs sprawled out in front of me. Needless to say, I can barely do that any more without getting pins and needles (though if need be, I can do it for a short period of time), so I sit on the floor cross legged and sometimes, the "masculine cross" (great term by the way ArcherySet :grin:).

On a chair, I sit like most people, with rare moments at home decided to sit cross legged on my main chair.

Still, I severely doubt that how people sit determines their sexuality in any way. If it were, I'm sure everyone I used to know in school would be gay by now. :grin: