1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality vs. Bisexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zaio, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC

Just a question - which is more common?

I heard somewhere (can't remember) that people that are 100% gay are less common than bisexuals, is this true?

I can't really tell myself as I have 1 bisexual friend but 0 gay friends, so obviously these numbers aren't enough to judge the answer.

If so, does anyone know why bisexuality is more frequent than homosexuality? Or vice versa?

2. Countervail

The reason why some guys prefer the term bisexual is because they haven't accepted that they are gay and not bisexual, believe me I have friends that are like this. So maybe that is why bisexuality is more common.

3. Mad Man L

Statistically speaking, homosexuality is more common I believe.

However, there are very few 100% gay people, fewer than 100% straight people. A lot of gay people are 90% gay, or around there.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Ah maybe that's what I heard, which I found surprising because I am one of those few people that are 100% gay.

Thanks.

5. King

King Guest

I don't think you can be "90% gay". I'd consider that 10% bisexual. I'm gay and that's that, there isn't any percentage for "how gay" I am (like with the Kinsey scale, I'm not a number).
    As for the question at hand, I believe bisexuality is more common because it's simply easier for a person to fall for both genders as opposed to one.

6. TheLadyPrince

I've heard that a few people who have done intense studies and research on this sort of thing believe that everyone, no matter if they identify as gay or straight, is at least a little bi. Even if it's just "one percent".

Also, from what I've seen (this is just me, I'm not speaking for everyone) female bisexuals seem to be more commomn than female homosexuals while male bisexuals seem to be less common than male homosexuals. Although, I should note that a lot of these females that claim to be bisexuals are fifteen year old girls. No doubt quite a few of them will grow up to realise they were just going through a phase and that they really are heterosexual or homosexual.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I can confirm from personal experience that the number of male bisexual is relatively low compared to gay men and bisexual women.

8. timo

I know a few gay guys/girls but only one bisexual girl. Howeverrr at least two of the people who are gay originally came out as bi (and idk about the others), so if that happens more it might be a reason why bisexuality seems more common.

9. IanGallagher

Kinsey studies actually show more bi guys than bi girls and gay guys. Keep in mind when said this probably includes everyone who isn't a 0 or 6.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Yea, was talking more about the 2.5-3.5 type bisexuals.

11. IanGallagher

Lol. I wouldn't even register then since I'm more 1.5 - 2.

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I did not mean to suggest people outside that range aren't bisexual, but that is the view of the straight majority: bi people have to like both genders equally.
    I personally don't believe in labels and while I agree with the principle of Kinsey's scale, it still a bit to forceful and artificial imo.:icon_wink

13. IanGallagher

Unsure if it can be equal. To me it's the same as... this is going to sound awfully weird lol... pespi and coca-cola. Same exact thing. Just guys lean towards pepsi while others lean towards coca-cola. Was going to say apple and oranges, but then it's way too different.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

This is why I don't like labels.
    Everyone is unique, just be true to yourself, to who you are is my personal philosophy.

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Trying to measure the LGBT population is really hard to do so that's why a lot of studies and surveys contradict themselves. It gets even harder to do when you try to measure bisexuality since its hard to decide what constitutes as a "true" bisexual.

The most popular study out there about LGBT people is the one that Alfred Kinsey conducted. And while it wasn't a perfect study by far, it did give us new ideas to play around with.

In a very short summary, Kinsey said that only 10% of the population was either 100% straight or gay and that everyone else fell on the spectrum of bisexuality. In essence, it means that according to his study 90% of the population was bisexual.

Kinsey also came up with the Kinsey Scale which introduced the idea that sexuality was a fluid rather than being black and white. On the spectrum, he said that 90% of the people would fall between a 1 and a 5 and be considered bisexual. So, based on this study, you could say that there are far more bisexual guys than gay guys, but most people simply decide to never tell since our society condemns it. Keep in mind that study isn't perfect and has a lot of flaws, but it is one of the most widely known one.

So, the answer to your question? We really cannot be sure, but it does seem that there are far more bisexuals than gay people out there.

Now, if you want to talk less about studies and more about every day life, then you will probably encounter more gay people than bi people since its easier for people to label themselves as either gay or straight instead of bisexual.

There is also the fact that you have to consider that a lot of people experiment, people use bisexuality as "bridge" to fully come out and that some people do it for attention.

So, yes. Its very hard to give you an exact number :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xD

16. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no possible way to distinguish "homosexual" between "bisexual," and this is because it is rare that one is 100% gay, or 100% straight, for that matter. Sexuality is a spectrum, and there is no set place where each sexuality lies, because sexuality is part of your life and you will make it as good as you can. Therefore, in this case, there is no possible way to distinguish homosexuality between bisexuality. Say 0 is straight, 1-99 is bisexual, and 100 is gay. There would be A LOT of bisexuals in the world (according to you), even more than straights, and bisexuality will be more common. But if 0-49 is straight, 50 is bisexual, and 51-100 is gay, then bisexuality would be very, very rare and homosexuality would be more common. It's only what you think and what others think.

However, there is a big difference between being bisexual and identifying as bisexual. In this case, bisexuality would be more common. Studies -- many studies -- have shown that a lot more people identify as bisexual than as gay. However, only a select few that identify as bisexual are truly bisexual. Some people are simply experimenting what gender they truly like. Some people are using bisexuality as a later acknowledgement and acceptance that they are gay/lesbian. Finally, there are the idiots that just identify as bisexual for attention, but they're really straight. There may even be more issues. And only the few rest are truly bisexual. Therefore -- there is no real way to tell, unfortunately. The world may never know. ^.^

17. Bree

I think that the only reason bisexuals often appear less common is that lots of people don't realize what they are. If for example, a guy is attracted to girls, which society promotes, why would he ever look any farther than that? He might not even recognize a crush on a male friend, certainly not for what it is. It takes a great deal of acceptance to acknowledge that you may not be "normal".

When asked, both of my parents, who identify as straight, said that they were probably 1-2 on the Kinsey scale. If society didn't divide people based on preference, I think that the 100% heterosexual would be as rare as the 100% gay.

18. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I'm sure that if one could remove social stigmas, religious oppression and the rampant negativity that people push upon anyone who isn't anything other than 'straight', you would find that people in general are far more open to sexuality, and bisexuality than currently speculated.

If a male or female was put into a situation where they did not have to fear being automatically, and permanently labelled gay for a little fun or experimentation, they would probably be open to living as bisexual, and having the best of both worlds.

Its like when those crazy priests/pastors and evangelists get caught with another man, their knee jerk reaction is "I'm not gay!!! No way!!!" and they won't even fess up to being bi either. We see it all the time. There is so much fear over rejection and criticism that they can actually convince themselves they are straight, even if its only to save face. People do not like being pigeon-holed, even if they like having their holes... um.. pigeoned?

#18 ArcherySet, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  19. Mad Man L

But what is a bisexual? How bisexual are you?

In my opinion, one can only be a certain % straight and a certain % gay. 'Bisexual' is a grey area. I'm straight and I'm gay. Right now I'm saying 50/50, although over time, I'll probably get a better idea of where I am. That also explains the Kinsey scale. There can be a percentage, because that percentage represents how likely you are to be attracted to a woman/man. There are cases where gay men end up dating women. The reason the opposite isn't the case is because often, straight people prefer to suppress their bisexual tendencies.

I can believe that. That being said, due to negative male attitudes towards homosexuality, that would also explain why there are so few out bi males.

20. Chino

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, My case is weird I think because..... I'm bisexual and I would say that I like women more than man, like 70%/30%. But even like that, I'm in love with this guy, He is feminine, have a woman's body and he likes to dress as a woman when we go out to the gay clubs, My point is that I like man that dress as a woman and have a female body......... why is that ?????? Can anybody answer my question please ? Thanks !