1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Gay....choice or natural?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swapnil, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Swapnil

Okay...I know ...It may not be the best question to ask in such a forum.But it troubles me sometimes and so I'm asking it.

Do u guys sometimes feel as if being gay/bisexual was a choice for you?That being gay does sound like an "unnatural" thing;something out of the order of nature.

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I highly doubt anyone would choose something that brings with it such discrimination and controversy as being a homosexual does in certain parts of the world.

I believe it's naturally occurring, like brown eyes or curly hair.

3. Mogget

I don't care. The morality or immorality of homosexuality is not predicated on whether the desire is chosen. Things are immoral if they cause harm, moral if they don't. Homosexuality doesn't cause harm and is therefore not immoral.

4. Zontar

I suppose you could make the argument that gay sex spreads disease, but this far from absolves any straight people having anal sex. Maddox wrote a great article on his site about this (nsfw satire).

5. secretguyX

It's not chosen in my opinion. Not many people of chosen to be gay if they were offered the choice, at least in the beginning. It may be naturally occurring, but it doesn't really matter, it's just a part of life

6. I don't believe that being gay or bisexual is a choice. Why would anyone choose this course? It's not easy. I know, looking back, there is nothing, no one, that made me not straight. Ever since I've had sexual feelings, it's not just been for women. So that's my .02.

7. Just Passing

Whilst it is definitely more nature than choice, I wouldn't argue against the idea that elements of it could be a choice. Controversial I know, but here me out. Some people refuse to admit they're gay and don't come out, so naturally don't make a choice to honest to themselves, but that's about it. I will also admit that I made the choice to realise I was gay and not try and repress any feelings I had.

Still, it is definitely more biological than anything, but I still thought I'd throw that above paragraph out there.

8. IanGallagher

As said, many people struggle with it and deny it for years. If it was a choice, how does one struggle and deny it? A choice by nature wouldn't be something that one struggles and denies. A choice would be something someone wants because they it.

9. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

^Agreed.

10. Luna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I used to hope that I could choose to become straight. But I grew up and realized that I am gay. It's natural for me. Because, let's face it - who would choose to need to fight for their right to love? I'm not saying that it is bad or hard to be gay but it's usually a little bit harder than being straight. (But thankfully, people are getting more accepting every day!) I'm lazy, why would I choose the harder path? Yes, I choose to act upon my feelings but that's because they're natural to me. :slight_smile: It would be a lot harder to constantly fight my own feelings. I know that some people believe that you can choose to be gay/bi/straight but I don't believe that. You can choose to act on your feelings or ignore them, but deep down you're still the same person no matter what you do.

11. Ridiculous

I didn't choose :slight_smile:.

Actually, humans seems to have somewhat lower levels of homosexuality than many other species. Especially when you compare us to something like dolphins, bonobos, many nesting birds, or giraffes (80% of giraffe sex is male-on-male).

12. ameliawesome

the problem with people saying it is unnatural is that our understanding of the natural world is severely limited. anything we "know" about anything came out of the brains of people. think of how often you hear about people proving and disproving and sometimes reproving the same things. something is good for you, then it's bad for you, then it's good for you again. the world is flat, oh wait no it isn't. redheaded people are witches. i'm sure you get the point. sexuality, no matter what it is to each individual person, is natural. i could not be happy in a romantic relationship with a man. i couldn't choose to be heterosexual, and i did not choose to be homosexual.

13. subaru000

It's as natural as the grass outside. At least, to me.

14. After contemplating this topic numerous times, and writing about it quite a bit, I find that I agree with this. In my experience, most people aren't just curious over the origins of being gay, but use the "homosexuality is a result of nature/nurture" arguments to prove their positions on why it's wrong or right. In reality, that says nothing about the morality of it, so I don't bother thinking about the subject much anymore. In my opinion, it doesn't matter, unless people are legitimately interested in the answer for the sake of science.

15. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is an excellent point and exactly why I get extremely pissed when people say ''Well, it isn't natural, so it's a choice!''

I have even heard some people attempting to compare being black to being gay/bisexual as a way of trying to prove their point that the latter isn't natural - which is just complete bullshit.

16. Lewis

I can 100% tell you now, that I did not choose to be gay. I knew when I was a child and didn't want to be the way that I am! I never ever made a conscious choice in which I said 'I am now gay' - I suffered most of my life telling myself that I wasn't!

17. lighttrc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes , I think all of us question this at some point.. Im still questioning it myself.. Yet I knew Im not gay by choice who would choose to be made fun of.. And live a life of the laughing stock of town.. I dont think any of us would say were gay bi are by choice.. we were made that way..Just matter of accepting it and choosing to live are life to the fullness being all we can be.

18. Level75

That...flowchart...is...awesome.

19. sanguine

i dont get how loving a person is unnatural

20. Hmm. I have to say, my feelings have been there naturally, and I can assure you, it took (is taking) a while to come to terms with them. Coming to terms with homosexuality/bisexuality is very different from making a choice to be gay or bi. Though, even if it weren't a choice, I should have just as much a right to love someone of the same sex. Love is more than just a sexual attraction, and should not be limited by gender.