1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there countires who are more LBGT accepting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ThatCoopKid, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ThatCoopKid

This is just something that I've always wondered. Being online and searching through a crap load of different sites has shown me that certain countries have higher amounts of LBGT people there, like Australia, and it just seems like they're not as frowned upon as other places, such as America. But, I could just be wrong. Anyone else agree/disagree?

2. Level75

I've always heard the UK was pretty accepting, relative to the US anyway. And I'm sure that the US is considered accepting...compared to some place like Uganda. But then, I'm sure just about anywhere, middle east notwithstanding, looks accepting relative to Uganda.

3. Ridiculous

In most cases, how accepting a country is is directly related to how secular it is. Australia, New Zealand, the UK and the Nordic countries (Sweden, Norway etc.) have some of the lowest rates of religion and therefore avoid the intolerance and hatred that most religion encourages.

There aren't more LGBT people in those countries, though. Humans are humans regardless or where they live and the LGBT rate will be pretty consistent across the entire species. It may appear there are more, though, as they are more willing to come out as LGBT because of their more supporting communities.

4. Dude, the US is the only developed country where gay marriage is still an 'issue'

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mehh...I'm kinda feeling like a douchebag today and taking it out on you, but define "issue."

Other "developed" nations with no same-sex marriage:
    UK, Ireland, France, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea...

Places that I'm not sure fall under "developed": Eastern Europe, Russia, China, India, Singapore, a bunch of South American nations, etc.

----------------------------------
    Relating to the main poster's question:

Tolerance and/or acceptance toward LGBT people tends to vary within a nation - so, yes, I could say that, as a collective whole, some random place like Sweden or Australia - whatever - is more accepting than another place...but that doesn't do justice to the full demographic array of opinions within the country. There are still places in Sweden, Australia, or here in the U.S. that are full of homophobes. Now, comparing it to Central Africa or the Middle East, well, that's a different topic altogether...

So, in other, less "rambled" words, city/area is a better indicator of tolerance than nation-by-nation. San Fran: good. Rural town in the Deep South: bad. And so on. :slight_smile:

#5 Browncoat, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  6. secretguyX

I've watched some youtube videos, and it seems that Sweden and Australia are really accepting. There's other accepting countries too. But there are also countries which are way worse than the United States about LGBT.

7. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

8. Artemicion

I can't believe I had to scroll this far down to find this answer...:lol:

9. ThatCoopKid

True. But when it comes to anyone other than straight people in the US it's generally an issue. Marriage is probably the biggest currently.

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2012 at 10:25 PM ----------

Really? Canada is much more accepting?

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2012 at 10:26 PM ----------

Wow. Never knew that. Makes a lot of sense though. It's kinda crazy how many problems are started/instigated by religion.:eusa_doh:

10. Fisnou

Yep, Australia, definitely! I see more and more gay couples walking hand in hand in the city. It's awesome! (!) On a side note, I've heard people say that 1 in 3 guys are gay in Australia... :dry: not sure how true that is though, it seems a bit much.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'd have to say the top of the list is:
    Canada
    Scandinavia
    The Netherlands (though I might be a bit biased with this last one.)

12. Curly

Canada allows same sex marriage for the entire country. There are still issues and protests by haters though, but in general Canada leans much more towards gay rights than the US. But, we don't really have the huge gay areas like in the states (I don't know ... why is that?).

13. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you'd have to break down the idea of "accepting" a lot in order to rank places very meaningfully. Like, Canada, the States, Denmark, and England are all accepting countries, but sometimes in different ways. A lot like different states in the United States are accepting in different ways (good marriage laws in places like Massachusetts, good adoption laws in places like Colorado, employment laws in different places, and so on). There's more than just a single variable at work.

Plus, as far as percentage of population, I'm assuming it measures "percent of population who identify as gay" rather than "percent of population of people who ARE gay," which are two different statistics.

14. ThatCoopKid

You never know...it could be true :grin:

15. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

While it seems like Sweden, Amsterdam and Australia lead the world politically when it comes to acceptance of the LGBT community, you will always find hatred and intolerance if you look for it, and more often than not, it will find you.

I've seen guys holding hands in my city with what appears to be relative safety, but that's in the downtown core. I doubt people (the homophobic breeders) on public streets would be so accepting if it was a Friday night, or in 'their neighborhood'.

I know a few years ago, the RCMP recruits had to go through sensitivity training and actually hold hands, and pretend to be gay (in plain clothing ofcourse) while walking in crowded areas to see how it feels to be gay in the the city, and how other men perceive them. I'm not sure if this program is still in effect.

#15 ArcherySet, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  16. King

King Guest

Canada!
    I'm a very proud Canadian :slight_smile:
    I've also heard wonderful things about the Netherlands (which is awesome since I'm Dutch.)

17. Bree

I'm from the Wet Coast of Canada (it never stops raining) and have NEVER seen anything more serious than mild slurs, usually from young teenagers. The worst I've experienced is being stared at, while out with a friend who is a very visible transwoman. I know, on an intellectual level, how awful some of the * that LGBTQ* people go through is, but I have a hard time imagining it. I've watched some of the American Republican footage lately, and just been so incredulous at some of the opinions expressed. I'm currently experimenting with gender, and am not the least bit frightened of being rejected.
    Honestly, though, I grew up in a very liberal small-town community, where in high school about half the kids were openly bi-curious.

The worst thing about Canada right now is it's government. Harper appears to be trying to pull us backwards several decades, beginning with -I'm not sure how many people are aware that this happened- annulling all gay marriages that occurred in Canada between people from countries that have NOT legalized gay marriage. The only way to remove him within the next three years without country-wide riots would be to have the Governor-General (a position assigned by the Queen of England, not elected) dissolve his government, and that would raise a different kind of public outcry.

18. ThatCoopKid

Politically charged to say the least it seems.

19. Bree

Woo yeah. Canadians are usually very passive, which is both good in that it makes us more accepting and bad in that we let people get away with a lot. Mom has said that she admires the Americans for at least standing up and fighting for what they believe in, regardless of what that is. If you push Canadians until we have to fight, though, you get Vimy Ridge.

The biggest issue in BC right now is the plan to build a major oil pipeline straight through BC, sending tankers through the Great Bear Rainforest, through the same area where the Queen of the North (ferry) hit a reef and sank on the route it always took. Very narrow/difficult to navigate, and If they get away with it there's bound to be a spill. The BC Premier has handed control over to the Federal gov't, which is run by the Conservatives, most of whom are heavily invested in oil. Climate Change? What's that?

I'm sorry. I just realized I was ranting on your thread.

20. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, you're not :icon_wink I think 90% of the gay people in this country are out to everyone before age 18, not exaggerating. And there's really no issue at all. It's weird sometimes hearing about all that crap in the US, when it's so normal here...