1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the gay gene

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KatKut, Apr 13, 2012.

1. KatKut

would you like it to be discovered?why and why not?

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's an established consensus that sexuality is polygenetic, meaning there can be no "gay gene" per se.

3. Part of it is also environmental, and many genes contribute to sexual orientation. However, if there were one gene, I would like it to be discovered

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meta-analytical studies comparing the likelihood of having other gay family members, dependent on whether the subject in question is LGB or not, shows us that there is likely a strong genetic component to homosexuality. It's certainly not the whole key to the puzzle - the rest (depending on one's theory) potentially consisting of hormone exposure in the womb and/or random environmental factors (which have no compelling research to back them :wink:).

I'm inclined to believe it's just an interaction between genetic expression and organizational effects determined by hormone exposure in the womb. But that's just me...

Edit: Sure, I'd like the full mechanism to be discovered, if only out of a personal interest in human nature. I think we're a good ways away from that though.

#4 Browncoat, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah. I like to think i chose to be this way.

6. Paper Heart

No, because if there was a hypothetical gay gene, you know the next step would be screenings and corrections movements. Eugenics, in an essence.

7. Eww

Eww Guest

Wait! Steve712 said, 'There's an established consensus that sexuality is polygenetic, meaning there can be no "gay gene" per se.' Would you mind giving your sources for that B.S.? Geneticists are agreeing that it probably is 100% genetic and are trying to learn more.

As for me, I feel that it is totally genetic, in the same way it is totally genetic how we handle it. I want to see the truth discovered, that's all. One thing I know is that it isn't a damned choice! Think about that: would you be stupid enough to be born perfectly straight and for no reason one day you wake up and holler I WANNA BE GAAAAAAY!!!

There's enough proof right there. It's genetic.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry for being flippant, but do you have any sources for that? Or do brash generalizations not count?

9. Eww

Eww Guest

Not sure if citations are allowed as links, but I'm afraid you only need to Google this to learn something. I do not engage in "brash generalisations".

10. Ridiculous

"Polygenetic" means that there is no single gene responsible for a phenotype - it depends upon the presence and interaction of more than one gene. Obviously if this was the case it would still mean that homosexuality was genetic, just not as simple as a single 'on-off' switch. A great deal of traits are polygenetic - hair colour for example.

Perhaps you should've followed your own advice and Googled the term before throwing out insults.

11. Eww

Eww Guest

I was insulting no one - and you STILL have not replied as to where you learned this nonsense. I know the definition of your claim; just wanted to know where you got that idea. It's a theory and a homophobic theory at that. You're not homophobic, the theory is. You shouldn't try to start fights here, especially with people who began studying this before you were born.:tantrum:

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2012 at 02:13 AM ----------

It seems a lot of younger people are falling for some of these poly-pontifications because that is what Christian evangelicals want. If there are multiple causes even within the genes, why, then, you can be turned straight again, absolutely!

You see, any normal scientist will tell you while several scenarios are possible, the combination or the single gene WILL make you gay. Period. No way to change, and then for the Christians it's an all-out fire alarm because they cannot perceive how God could make gay people at all.

Study this properly!

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

13. Leora

I don't understand how that theory is homophobic... All it's saying is that the genetic link is more complex than just one gene... which is the case with a lot of things, in my understanding.

14. Ridiculous

The only appropriate response to the latest outburst is this image:

[​IMG]
    and a swift visit to the ignore list. Here's the link in case anyone else wants to use it:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Yup. A great deal of outward traits are polygenic.

If there is a genetic cause for homosexuality then it can only be polygenic. If it was monogenic, then it would follow the very obvious pattern that monogenic phenotypes express (the 3:1 ratio of Mendelian inheritance), and would also not allow for a wide spectrum of sexualities.

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't think he was trying to be insulting, he just has absolutely no idea what either you or he are talking about.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you're stating as "nonsense" is recognized as settled fact by nearly everyone else here at EC, including our professional staff. So if you're going to challenge information that is generally accepted by everyone else, the onus of responsibility lies on you, not on them. If you'd like to have a civil discussion about it, feel free to cite any scientific resources you have that support your claim. Otherwise, state them as opinions.

First, citing your age as a justification for why you're right is a fallacious way of arguing a point. If you have facts, please feel free to state them, with appropriate citations to reputable, peer reviewed scientific articles.

Second, please be aware that EC as a community and as an organization frowns on people using ageist arguments to support their viewpoints. This is a community of people ranging in age from very early teens to 70s and above. We have an unusually well-read and intelligent community, which would be obvious if you spent time reading the archive of threads here dating back some 7 years. All of our members, regardless of age, should be treated with respect and courtesy; belittling comments such as the one above will neither win you any friends nor endear you to the staff.

Well... on this point, I'm probably about your age, as are several of our other staff members who happen to agree with the other posters in this thread, so again, veiled insults aimed at our younger members are neither accurate, appropriate, nor acceptable under our Code of Conduct.

As to the issue itself, unfortunately I have to agree, albeit a little less aggressively, with the posters who have indicated that you don't seem to have a very firm grasp of the complexity of this issue.

First, while the best available data indicates that being gay is most likely genetic, the fact that the trait may not lie within a single gene hardly indicates that sexual orientation is changeable, which you'd immediately understand if you had a reasonable grasp of genetics.

Secondly, while it is generally settled among reputable scientists that sexual orientation is likely established before birth, the mechanism for that (i.e., whether it is genetic or whether another factor, such as hormone levels in the mother during pregnancy) is far less settled, and I am not aware of any definitive studies indicating that it is solely genetics; there are, in fact, several other biological factors that are being investigated as causative as well.

Not only have you belittled a majority of our membership with your comments about age, you've also managed to insult our members and readers who happen to be Christian. You really aren't winning any awards for "Graceful New Member" here. :slight_smile:

For the record, we're discussing the presence or lack of presence of a gay gene, not how a certain subset of people of a particular religious belief happen to view the topic. Additionally, there happen to be quite a few Christians out there who don't believe being gay is a choice, that it can be changed, or any of the other bigoted beliefs shared by some groups of Christians. So please don't generalize. I do make references to the groups you're speaking of, but I refer to them specifically: "Bigoted Christians" or "Ignorant Christians". "Christians" on the whole includes a lot of truly lovely, non-judgemental, and supportive individuals.

I would appreciate it (as, I suspect, would most others reading this thread) if you would confine your discussions to the current topic of the thread without going off on a tangent as to the agenda a particular religious group might have. I would also appreciate it if you'd maybe consider the overall tone of your posts in comparison to the tone others have expressed in this thread. EC is not a typical online community; flaming, insulting, belittling, and bullying posts are not appropriate or appreciated here.

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Elaborating on the myriad causes of homosexuality, i believe that some documented cases of radical sex-drive effects (including orientation 'switches') and changes as a result of strokes, brain tumours and certain medications exist. I think it would be nicer if there were no be-all-and-end-all 'cause' of homosexual orientation, and the evidence seems to lean toward genetics being just one (even if it does turn out to be the major one) of the causative factors.

#17 Pseudojim, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  18. Eww

Eww Guest

CHIP: I apologize. Now please don't turn this into a Wikipedia copycat situation. If you want me off, then I'm off. If a person cannot disagree with others, then I'm not sure I want to be on here.

By the way, I doubt you are anywhere near my age.

I quote you: 'Not only have you belittled a majority of our membership with your comments about age, you've also managed to insult our members and readers who happen to be Christian. You really aren't winning any awards for "Graceful New Member" here.' Again, I apologise.

I don't think a lot of people arguing on this thread qualify for any thick-skin awards either. So aside from your unnecessarily smarmy little lecture about DNA, which renders me unable to fathom how you would spend time here instead of at your lab, I'll be happy to go or be blocked.

Your choice. It seems I am among the deceived about how this is an accepting and friendly place.

19. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well... that was entertaining :icon_redf

Anyway, no, I don't want the gay gene to be discovered. If there are some homophobic scientists out there then they could wipe out that entire gene and there would be no gays left in the world. :icon_sad:

...Or we can wipe out all the heterosexual people and take over the world. :badgrin:

Just kidding.

Well, anyway, so no. I doubt that there is a gay gene though because a lot of what I read says it's polygenetic, which I agree with. I doubt that it's based on surroundings because then reparative therapy might actually work -- so it's not a choice, and therefore really it can't be based on your surroundings. There's not much else to look at except that it just happens to be, which would make it sound like it's somewhere in the genes. I also doubt that it's just one gene or else there wouldn't be much use for all of the other genes that scientists have said could affect sexuality (though I can be wrong). Also, a lot of the LGB members I've met have had some sort of family member that is also LGB, often much more than one, so it sounds like it runs in family, and again, we come back to the genes. So to me, it sounds like it's polygenetic, and that's what I believe.

And I'm completely cool with that. What if some homophobic Hitler comes and wipes out the gay gene? :C

#19 Maxis, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  20. Eww

Eww Guest

I apologize in advance, therefore I'm going to be very careful--I think you are all guessing, as I admit I offer my best guess on the matter. For decades and especially the last 5 years, I have heard there is a responsible gene, and that is all I know to this point. It doesn't seem anyone else knows more--but some are making themselves sound as if they know it all. Better to study it as objectively as possible, because I seriously doubt any of the people in the field are going to be totally honest about what they find.

By the way, since I know this is being closely watched, there is a message for Chip. Hopefully, it will be taken in a serious and open-minded spirit.