1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At Home Hair Dying?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowWolfie, Apr 14, 2012.

1. RainbowWolfie

I want rainbow colored bangs, so I have to do it at home. Anyone have tips for dying your own hair that could be given to a rookie like myself?

2. Travel Tech

I have no clue, but pic related.
    [​IMG]

3. Deaf Not Blind

well, in high school the cheerleaders used jello and coolaid to dye bright colors if they were blonds. what is your hair color? if dark you may need to bleach first.

4. OKAY. I just bleached and crazy colored my hair for the dance my school threw.

If your hair isn't REALLY light blonde, you're going to need to bleach it first. Get a hair lightening kit from the store, follow the instructions for putting it in and then, if the hair isn't lightening enough, wrap it in tinfoil and clamp each part with a straightener. It will sizzle a little, but the heat expedites the process so you don't have to leave it in a hundred years to get your hair to lighten.

THEN, you might want to wait a day to do the color. Wash and condition your hair (seriously, leave that conditioner in for a really long time in the shower). Then, when your hair is dry, put the color in according to the instructions you get on the package.

You can also use heat/straightener on these dyes, but if your hair got really dried out from the bleaching, I wouldn't.

Keep in mind that when you're trying to do cool colors like purple blue and green, you really really really need your hair to be basically white or the colors don't come out true.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Remember to apply vaseline on your skin so you can wipe the dye off.

6. Atticus

Also, if you have some small to medium sized paint brushes, I find this is an excellent way to apply hair dye in small places. You just paint it on. :slight_smile: Also, if you have a friend who can help, it makes it a lot easier and more fun.

7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I personally wouldn't recommend dyeing your own hair if its for wild colors at home since it could really damage your hair. Depending on what color you want, you will need to have a light her color like blonde, or you will have to bleach it multiple times enough for it to be light enough to dye light colors (bleaching your hair is going to kill it, trust me I have half of my head bleached atm). And also you will need to buy different sets of dyes in order to get the rainbow appearance. Or if you have a really light hair color , just use the sugarless koolaid packs to dye it, you can watch videos on youtube to teach you how to do it.

8. Atticus

I have to disagree with Ghostly. I frequently color my hair purple, blue, or red. I've got brown hair. I never have to bleach unless I want to do blue. For some reason, blue won't stick in my hair for more than three days. I don't know why. Just be sure to leave in the darker colors for a longer time than the lighter ones. I find this helps some.

9. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    pretty much this...also i would recommend talking to friends if you have any that dye their hair about what brands they use. I personally like splat hair color for things like blue purple red and green and such I use it all the time. I normally have a friend do it for me because i dye my entire head and its hard to get everywhere on your own...If your doing something like just your bangs it shouldn't be too big of a deal. but find a hair dye you would trust and read the directions carefully.