1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay-Straight Alliance Anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IamwhoIam12, Apr 16, 2012.

?

Are you/have you ever been involved with the Gay-Straight Alliance

1. I am currently involved with GSA

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. I have heard of GSA but am not involved with them

28 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I used to be involved with GSA

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. I've never even heard of GSA

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. IamwhoIam12

Hey everyone.

I've went to a couple GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) meetings at my university and was wondering if many other people are involved/were involved at one time with GSA.

I just find it to be a really great organization so far and am looking forward to being involved with them for the rest of college...

2. Andane

Well, my school I think has one. Although it's pretty small, and I really only heard about it from friends since they don't really advertise like the other clubs do. While I would kinda like to see what it's like, everyone in my school seems to assume ALL its members are gay, and I don't wanna have to deal with people questioning me. At least, not now, while I have siblings who go to my school =/

3. My school doesn't call it this, but it's generally the same deal. It's the second largest club on my campus and I'm co-pres! :slight_smile:

4. IamwhoIam12

Andane: At my school most of the people in it are LGBTQ, but there are some (albeit, only a few) straight people in there too. It's a really cool place to just meet new people, talk about stuff that you don't normally talk about, and try to (peacefully) raise awareness of the gay community in a fun environment. (I would say advocate gay rights but that's a very small part of what they do, it's much bigger than that.) I definitely encourage you to check it out sometime. When you're comfortable of course.

thedreamwatch: That's great. Congrats on the leadership position! What's it called?

5. the Pride Alliance!

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school does not call it a GSA, but I still am a part of it. On my campus, it is the largest group on campus.

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My campus doesn't have anything like a GSA at all.

8. Bree

I marked "past" because I was on-off involved in the one at my high school...I kind of stopped that when this girl that I did NOT get along with took it over.

I'm involved in the [insert college name] Pride at my college now, which is basically my main friend group (alongside some old keepers). A lot off people involved, or who hang out in the room (which very cozy and couch-filled) are straight. I think that the queer members are pretty evenly divided between gay guys and gender variance/trans people, with only a couple lesbians.

I've never had anyone question me for hanging out there, but I don't really advertise it, either.

9. Ridiculous

There is one (something very similar atleast) at mine but I've never gone, and won't be going. An advertisement for it made it seem like it was very 'activity oriented,' and because I am a horrible person I don't really want to get involved in things where I'd be expected to attend.

10. Atticus

My little teeny tiny university has one. It's rad. I like it. We have game night every other Tuesday. Unfortunately, I find that a lot of the people who attend have problems with correct pronoun usage with me, even though I've said several times which pronouns I prefer. I also have the best leg and arm pit hair in the group. Yeah. We're a fun bunch.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to their meetings off-and-on, but I'm often way too busy to take the time, especially to get particularly involved. I also have a really hard time when they break off from whatever issue they're focusing on/discussing and devolve into socializing..I always just end up freaking out and fleeing the place...

I really wish the town my college is in was big enough to have LGBT-nerd/gaming clubs or something. Think I'd have an easier time with that.

12. Phoenix91

I agree with you there. My college has a GSA but I'm too chicken to join and I'm not at the point where I can wave a rainbow flag and participate in rallies and such. I do hope I can do that one day.... I have always liked the colorful pride flag :grin:

13. King

King Guest

We have one at my school, but I'd be uncomfortable talking to some of the members... It's basically just a group of friends that revolve around one gay guy so I wouldn't feel welcome... I do want to go though, just to see what it's like.

14. My college calls it that as well.

Anyway, I was in my high school's GSA for a year or two, but after a while, I didn't like the direction they were going in, and I couldn't stand half of the people who attended, so I left. Just this spring, I joined my college's Pride Alliance. Unfortunately, it's extremely small; last week, I was the only one there besides the leader, and the most people I've seen in one meeting was five. It's a shame, but I'm going to keep going, and hope for the best.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school calls it pride as well.

16. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not interested GSAs. Straight people can be as supportive as they want, but I'm over entertaining "allies" in queer spaces. It's not their place to name themselves "allies," which they often do, before inserting themselves into conversations concerning LGBTQ politics. Straight so-called "allies" have, in my experience, made presumptions, talked over/silenced me, and assumed that all there is to LGBTQ politics is gay marriage. And they think that they're being supportive by doing these things. Um, no. No, thank you. I need queer-only spaces and am completely disinterested in GSAs.

17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm sorry you feel that way and that you have had to deal with those kind of people. I know which ones you are talking about, and they are in fact annoying. They do have good intentions though, all you need to do is set them aside and educate them a bit. You will be surprise at how much they don't know and how much they change after you talk to them about it.

I will say that not all straight people are like that. One of my best friends is straight and its one of the most involved people int he LGBT community that I know. She has probably been more involved than most of my gay friends, knows more about LGBT politics than most gay people I know, knows more about the LGBT community and is more emotionally involved in many things than even me. She is a wonderful person and it would be a shame to not have her on our side.

And not to make this whole thing longer, but of course I'm involved in the GSA at our campus! I freaking love the group and I have loved the past two years that I have spend with the group. Tons of fun!

18. Obsidian

My school has one, but it is more or less invisible

19. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My school had a GSA last year and I went a few times I was always to busy to go....I don't think they have it this year, I haven't heard about their being one anyways..If they got rid of it it's prolly 'cause our principal said "It is not needed that we don't have a problem with acceptance." <----- Yes we do, if you look past what is on the surface you would see there is a problem...The "popular" kids and teachers just don't see it..

20. Fiddledeedee

My school doesn't have a GSA, and I doubt it's getting one any time soon. Nobody sees orientation as a big deal and all the straight folks are "allies" anyway. :slight_smile: It would be cool to have one, though.