1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too young to know?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fireworks, Apr 18, 2012.

1. fireworks

fireworks Guest

So I saw this thread about a seven-year-old coming out, and it kind of lead to a debate about the authenticity of his proclamation. This reminded me of the kind of articles I had read during my questioning stage, and I was wondering if you thought there was a specific age where suddenly it is possible to know, or what?

Personally, I don't think you can be 'too young to know'. If you know, you know. Once you're mature enough to have these feelings, and to acknowledge that you have them, sensible enough to fully understand what they mean and brave enough to come out, I believe you are old enough to know. Maybe it could turn out to be a phase, but at the end of the day, if someone says that they're gay, no matter how old they are (within reason obviously- I don't count like, toddlers), I feel that their decision should not be disputed. Let them come to their conclusion on their own.

Thoughts?

2. julia

Personally, and I really don't mean to offend anyone but I think it is too early to know. I think all kids feel like they connect better with the same sex and some kids may think that makes them gay, and that's not always the case.
    When I was 7 I liked boys. Just because I liked boys then doesn't mean I'm straight, because I am quite the opposite.

3. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I knew I liked guys when I was around that age, but I didn't connect it with being gay until around age 17. Maybe it's because being gay is more accepted and a more public issue than it was when I was younger?

I think it's okay for kids to come out at a young age, but I don't think we should hold them to it. My sexuality has been quite fluid over the years, fluctuating between bi, gay and asexual.

4. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was 7, I was labelled straight, because that's how I was raised. I was well aware even before that I had a liking for girls though, and when puberty struck, I knew it even more clearly. I don't think there's any age for figuring out your sexuality though, but I think it's best to wait until you're a tween or teen to make sure. However, I do think you can know at a very young age, yes.

5. sanguine

no its not too young to know, ive known since i was 5 (man im getting sick of typing that down)

and for those who tell me i cant of made that decision are really delusional in thinking they know me better than myself

#5 sanguine, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Amen to that :slight_smile:

7. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    And now, for the real question...

Can we truly know anything?

(Just kidding. I don't want to start a philosophical debate--carry on.)

8. fireworks

fireworks Guest

9. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hmm I think not, a 7 year-old would be able to know he or she is different in some way, but until puberty starts I doubt they will be aware of sexual orientation.