1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

So today was the Day of Silence. Did anyone participate? If you did, share about it. I'm not in school but I still remain silent for the day during school hours. My girlfriend's school refused to let her participate and told her she isn't allowed to express herself in that way but she continued to remain silent for the day and she was given detention. She goes to a public school so I really don't understand that but I was happy she stood up for something that was important to her. So what's your story?

2. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I am practically always silent anyways, not much to tell...People thought I was angry at first....Then they figured it out.

3. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did. Actually, half the school did, which makes me happy. The teachers even let us write stuff down for the ones participating when they asked us questions about the lesson. It was a great feeling to stand up for who we are, and it was a great feeling seeing that there were many heterosexuals participating too. :grin:

Though one of my "friends" (not really, we just bump into each other a lot because we have the same circle of friends) said "NOBODY CARES ABOUT GAYS" when we explained via note what the Day of Silence was all about. I was so close to punching him, hard. But a teacher was next to me. -.-

4. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Really?? Only a few people where I go to school did the day of silence, and my teachers didn't care....They know that I am silent in class anyways....I dunno about the other kids how their teachers reacted...

5. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I was going to try, but I'm homeschooled and my step dad would have flipped out even more than he already does about it.

6. BudderMC

I had an exam, so I was kinda silent for the whole day anyway... :rolle:

But I think it's sweet that people actually go through with this.

7. Zontar

I could never quite do it. It's too subtly disruptive.

8. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To be honest, I've never been a fan of being silent for the cause. It seems like the exact opposite of what we should be doing.

9. Emberstone

I donned a navy blue jump suit, a knit hat, gloves, and a mask, and shifted cardboard boxes back and forth in the courtyard of my college's campus for 2 and a half hours. We moved very slowly, and the five of us did a lengthly preformance art peice moving the 30 boxes from one side to the other, and arranging them in different ways.

Then I vegged out and recouped at a poetry reading.

10. Pain

Pain Guest

I didn't even know!!!!! :frowning2:

11. breakingboxes

I was silent at school as well as on facebook. I posted a message to everyone this morning telling them why and have not been on since. :grin:

12. Emberstone

I was wearing a red shirt (though for the poetry readings, I did speak). We basically said if you wear red, you can choose when to speak if there is something you think needs to be said.

We did not get to do as much as we would have hoped for, but we got alot of positive responces about the preformance art, and nearly sold out on our coustom t-shirts.

13. GayJay

Guttered i have only just found out about this! Yeah i weren't silent.

14. anonymous1

We did it yesterday because they were complications with the schedule. Probably about 200 out of the 600 at my school. By the end of the day though, a bit less than 100 we're still silent. My school is very inclusive, I hardly ever hear someone make a gay slur.

15. standtall00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did it all day...until 7th period where I HAD to talk, but I had to write everything up until then :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Deaf Not Blind

agreed. you can't inform by keeping silent. you can't be heard if you let them do all the talking.

17. It's more of a symbolic gesture, and silence can actually be very powerful. You don't need words to communicate a point. For example, if someone is mad at you, they might yell and scream, while others will just give you the cold shoulder. Both ways make it pretty obvious that they're angry, but in different ways.

My opinion on the Day of Silence is split. On one hand, I'm not sure most people understand the meaning of the silence, and just use it as an excuse to not have to participate in class. On the other, schools are generally not a quiet environment, so the silence is definitely noticeable if a lot of people aren't talking. Silence can seem awkward, cause tension, and just be plain uncomfortable, so yes, it can be an effective tool. What I like is the idea of the Night of Noise, because it balances out the DoS, and lets people know what was trying to be accomplished earlier that day.

18. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

oh gosh, I thought it was thursday and I went all day without talking but I talked today >>>, I got the dates mixed up :frowning2:

19. bubblesh204

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of my teachers were fine with me staying silent for the day. My friends spent the entire day trying to make me talk and eventually snapped during lunch and the last half of band. Other than that my day was pretty good. I only found two other people that were doing it in my school but then again I go to a school that only has about 120 students per class.

20. Silver Sparrow

I participated... sort of. I'm not getting that great of a grade in history (A-, which is my worst), and we had a test, so I had to ask some questions. I also talked in a few other classes. But I stayed silent during social times, which is most of the point, in my opinion.