1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative's in the LGBT community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HunterN95, Apr 21, 2012.

1. HunterN95

Something I always find interesting is to find out a LGBT person is conservative. Of course I mean no offense at all, but I always wondered why a LGBT person would be conservative? Sorry if this sounds extremely stereotypical. Is anyone here conservative/republican?

2. Level75

An LGBT person would be conservative because gay rights issues are not the only issues to weigh in on in this world. It is totally within the realm of possibility for a gay person to be against abortion, illegal immigration, government mandate of owning health insurance, among other right leaning platforms right now.

Their party would rather disown them, but eh, if they're Ok with that...

3. RedState

Oh boy...another one of these.

Yes I'm Conservative
    Yes I'm Republican
    Yes I'm Gay..

Hmmm...sounds like a good bumper sticker slogan

4. BenIsScared

Me too! I agree with a lot of conservative ideas, and disagree with a few. I'm gay, and believe everyone should be treated equally. Yeah, I believe a lot of the conservative ideology. And that's okay! And "RedState", I would totally buy that bumper sticker!

5. HunterN95

You make some very good points, thank you :slight_smile:

6. Maybe fiscal conservatives, but I'd have a hard time finding that anyone is a fan of Rick Santorum (or any of the current republican candidates) because they're wayyyyy too extreme. I would also imagine that there are a few people who have become very distant from conservatives because of their social policies (myself being one of them)

7. tiexgrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I describe my political views as Conservative with Liberal Values.

I was raised in a very liberal family, however over the years I developed my own views :slight_smile:

Regardless I've worked with Elections Canada for the past 2 Elections at a voting station and try to keep an open mind about it all :grin:

8. RedState

Eh..Santorum was the strongest social conservative of the bunch...I didn't vote for him in my state's primary, but I would have supported him and voted for him should he have won my party's nomination.

As far as being extreme...that's one term I don't think has ever been applied to Romney.

I don't have a problem with Romney...even got my Romney bumper sticker on the back of my SUV. I think some of his campaign advisors need to be fired though because they are idiots.

But, in regards of this notion that people don't care about social issues, or someone best not be "too out there" with social issues (whatever that means), note the Bush/Kerry election of 2004. Social issues were the contributing factor in Bush's re-election.

The balance that conservative candidates have to strike is a simple one. Take the issue of gay marriage for example: the majority of people (self-described independents, if you will) don't really care if someone is against gay marriage...in other words, they're not going to vote against someone on that one issue. However, if that same voting block gets a wiff of intolerance it is a different story and they will turn against a candidate. Not necessarily because of that one issue, but because that perception of intolerance will bleed over to other issues. That's when a candidate's negatives will start to rise.

Some candidates are pretty good at this balance...Rick Santorum is not one of them.

9. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I'm conservative about some things, but I wouldn't say I'm republican. Not really sure where I fall.

10. Paper Heart

It's actually not unheard of. There are a few groups dedicated to gay conservatives, such as GOProud and The Log Cabin Republicans.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This totally reminded me of this video!

GAY REPUBLICAN It Gets Betterish - YouTube

But yeah, just because you are gay doesn't mean that you must be a liberal or democrat for that matter. As it becomes more acceptable you are going to be seeing a shift on how the "gay issue" is going to be played in politics. Its going to be both frustrating and interesting all at the same time.

And keep in mind not all republicans are anti-gay. Just recently in 3 different states they passed 3 pro-gay bills with bi-partisan support. Its very important because without those republican votes we wouldn't have been able to pass any bills at all.

12. RedState

You know Gus...looking at that video...I always wondered what would happen if Emberstone and I were ever in the same room in real life. Now I have an idea :slight_smile:

13. Level75

Was it in New Hampshire where such an anti-gay bill took place? And it was crushed by an overwhelmingly Republican vote? I'd like to see more of that happening.

14. speedracing22

I am pretty independent and I would vote for both a democrat and a republican. All of my views on social issues are pretty liberal (i.e. gay marriage), but my economical views are more conservative.

I honestly don't know who i'm voting for yet in this election, but I am not opposed to a candidate like Romney.

The ones who I will never vote for however are the "extreme" ones like Rick Santorum and Michelle Bachman. Honestly, I think they are both kinda nuts...

15. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually am a Republican, but more of a moderate one.

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2012 at 12:27 AM ----------

I wouldn't classify Romney as a conservative at all even though he's trying to run like one.

And I think that may not be the best strategy because he probably would be better off in the general election running as a moderate, which he definitely is.

#15 Mike92, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  16. Danielle

Danielle Guest

LGBT Rights are only one of many issues.

I am not a conservative but I still don't form my opinions on economics, abortion, healthcare or education based on my sexuality. I base them of what I think would be best for my family and I.

I think conservatives would do the same.

17. Fintan

I'm gay, I'm conservative and I'm a Christian.

Sometimes I am not sure if I am hated more by extremist right-wing Christians or the LGBT community.

18. HunterN95

Aww. If either of those communities hate you I'm calling hypocrisy. I am christian too. Raised catholic.

19. Mogget

That's a pretty false comparison. I've never seen LGBT people call for the criminalization of Christianity or conservatism, support laws permitting discrimination against Christians, beat up and kill Christians on a regular basis, or force their Christian children into psychologically harmful re-education camps.

20. starfish

At work the LGBT group has be working with one of the LGBT groups at UT. In one of the meetings the question came up, should you be out during the interview process. That is a very good question. I made the point, that you should be, because it only takes 1 asshole in another otherwise tolerant environment to ruin it. I think that applies here.

I'm seen some LGBT folk who seem bent on destroying christians and conservatives. Even though it is just a hand full of people doing it, if you are a gay christian, or a gay conservative it is enough to make you feel unwelcome.

I think the video above illustrated the point nicely. We all know at least 1 person like that.