1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to become straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Menaki-Neko, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I know what all of the science behind sexuality says, but I'm still curious about whether or not anybody has actually become straight.

2. starfish

At first I was going to say something about you using the incredibly large font. Then I realized it is a lot easier to read.

It is pretty much universally accepted that it is not possible.

3. IanGallagher

There's nothing wrong with you being gay dude. It's absolutely normal. The only thing that's not normal is how homophobic society can be. It's exactly the same as racism. There's nothing wrong with you, the problem is with them. Just be happy, find yourself an awesome guy and live your life man. That's the true way you'll find happiness.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aei!~ I'm sorry, but that font.. = no...

There are quite a few studies invalidating claims that one can "become straight;" and the few that gave any credence to the notion have been denounced by their own authors.

Sure, you can try to change and effect behavior, sometimes with a certain amount of success - but preference, short of chemical alterations to the brain, does not appear to be malleable.

--------------------------------------
    Edit: Oh, and, definitely this:
    Awesome advice bro :slight_smile:

#4 Browncoat, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. sanguine

lol this reminds me when i was like 14 maybe when i was looking up online if there were any remedies to cure being gay, and all these religious sites pop up telling me to pray, or go to confession, there was even a site where the person said they chose to be gay and that being gay was a choice and that he was some devil worshiping idol thing because he hates god and being gay is a great way to prove that etc etc.

i seriously feel sorry for people who believe in turning straight, those sites were a big reason to why i hate religion also, if im going to hell in every religion, why believe in one.

6. needshelp

i've tried to wipe myself clean of my homosexuality urges for 12 years and i caught a rude awakening in doing so. the more you try to hide it, lie to yourself about who you aren't and even try to force yourself to be the lie, the more it's going to force itself out of you where you will acknowledge it. it'll appear in your dreams, your thoughts, cute guys that you really wouldn't be going crazy over if you would make your feelings known will become cuter to you to the point where you're going to question yourself and a whole lot of other things. some of those things are actually harmful to you. i know that i started to experience panic attacks at one point whenever i would see a hot guy because i was scared that i was attracted to them like that in which i was. after awhile, it got really annoying.

so it would be best to accept it and leave it alone.

#6 needshelp, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  7. lerel ashley

lerel ashley Guest

give it a try go get help if u think its too much for u

8. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Sexuality is like hair color. When the cheap store bought dye (or the expensive salon job) wears off, eventually your real color shows, and for all the people you fool in the meantime, you are still what you are.

Perhaps that is why the US government was never able to successfully produce the "gay bomb" for chemical warfare. Yeah they tried. Look it up.

#8 ArcherySet, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  9. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly don't think it's possible.

In my opinion, if someone is able to change their sexuality, then they weren't gay or bisexual in the first place.

10. Vesper

No.

Maybe if...

Wait--no.

Agreed. I guess bisexuals can "choose" in a sense, but that doesn't change the fact that they are attracted to both sexes.

#10 Vesper, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  11. Mobiusponder

It's just as possible to become straight from being not-straight as it is to become not-straight from being straight.
    In short: generally, no. There is a 1 in a very large number chance someone could, maybe, get a stroke that changes their sexuality? But it tends to be solid.
    Another thing is that outside factors [depression, for one] can influence perceived gender/etc. The mind's a complex thing. I wouldn't bet against it being able to do something, but I'd bet against us knowing how to do it for a long while.

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You can try to ignore or even supress your attraction to the opposite sex, however it will always be there.
    If you are gay, you're gay, you cannot change that.
    And why should you? You're not hurting anyone by being gay and what does it matter if you like people of the same sex. Seriously there's nothing wrong with it.

13. Fiddledeedee

I don't think it's possible to change orientation. I think it is possible for someone who is bi to only act on straight feelings, maybe to the point of supressing fay ones. However, it's not my right to take away the "straight" label from someone who fully believes that they were gay and are now straight.

14. Waffles

First off: NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING GAY.
    I can give you an entire lecture about how Catholics mistreat the bible and make claims that gay is wrong yada yada yada... but I don't want to drag religion down anyones throat. ( -_-) But... why do you want to be straight? ( '3')

Second: You can ACT straight, but your orentation is pretty much set (not 100% set, but MOST people eventually come to accept who they are... eventually. .3.) And unless you'd prefer to supress any feelings towards men and live an empty life as an emotional time-bomb and live the rest of your life as a lie, then I'd recommend you to just be happy with who YOU are, and don't let society and its ideas tell you who you SHOULD be.

15. Lewis

I don't think hulu was actually wanting to become straight, just wondering if it's possible. I personally don't think it is, but some individuals have claimed to have tried and successfully changed sexual orientations, which I believe is untrue - major delusion.

I always thought if I looked at women more often and only thought about women, I would eventually become straight, it didn't work. My mind always veered to men eventually xD

16. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if anyone finds a way, please let me know.

17. Lewis

I personally couldn't see myself being attracted to women...guys have way more going for them in my opinion, but that is coming from someone who is gay themselves. I'm sure a straight guy, lesbian or bisexual person would tell me otherwise! xD

18. Deaf Not Blind

not pushing religion on you, but being gay won't send you or anyone to hell. Christianity clearly shows in the Bible how Jesus said he who hates in his heart is a murder and can't go to heaven, says that if you claim to love God and hate your brother you are a liar and have no part in God, and that to be "saved" you need to believe that, in Jesus, to be humble, to love God and your neighbor and enemies as much as yourself, and forgive others and ask for forgiveness, and be careful not to judge as Jesus will judge you by same yardstick. gay does not equate hell. hate does. who would make a better Christian, knowing this, you or those haters you know? :slight_smile: just saying.

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2012 at 09:30 AM ----------

yeah i read too how someone swears they were not born gay they chose it. idk, maybe you can choose to live gay? lets say you liked your gay friends, envied they clothes, want to fit in? strange as it sounds, i guess a person COULD fake gay? but if they actually date, have anal sex with men's dicks, blow jobs, and date men, i got to wonder how old they were when they felt they should fake it? it seems a little hard to believe, especially since no gay people i know ever said it was free choice.

so how can a person become straight? maybe an accident where you lose your identity. i have read of people who get head injury and forget sometimes forever who they are. it is scary and sad. but if was gay, could be straight. head injuries do change personalities sometimes. a person could know they are gay and still choose to live straight, but not easily. if a person chooses to live a straight life because they want to, that is choice, but they don't change brains or anything!

19. castle walls

I do not think that it is possible for anyone to turn straight. I do believe that it is possible to suppress your sexuality and only enter heterosexual relationships (which is often mistaken for turning straight) but I don't consider that turning straight. I find suppressing healthy sexuality to be unhealthy and it is often incompatible with happiness

20. Deaf Not Blind

what is "healthy sexuality"? just wondering what your definition was.