1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you love someone who was genetically engineered?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ArcherySet, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

The one thing I've noticed about the LGBT community is that we tend to have fairly open minds in regards to how we feel about certain hot button (sex, religion, race & culture) issues. That's not to say that we all agree on every topic of discussion, but generally you will find people who are marginalized for their beliefs, tend to be more accepting of others and different ways of thinking.

So here is a silly question. Science has gotten to a point where it can literally build life from nothing, in vitro fertilization, tissue regeneration technology, cloning and DNA mapping are very much a reality, and where it stops, who knows.

So lets say you met someone and hit it off. Fast forward a few months, and before things start getting serious, they reveal to you that they were genetically engineered by a laboratory as part of a human experiment.

Everything about them was 'chosen', height, weight, hair color, eye color, personality traits, intelligence, skill set, likes/dislikes, and they presented you with documentation and video proof of the procedure that brought them into the world.

To take it one step further, one more foot into the twilight zone, they tell you that they were engineered with no genetic defects or predisposition to certain types of illnesses or disease. They will live to be exactly 100 years old. They have no biological parents or family history to speak of, yet they did grow up with a neutral family to learn human interactions, and they find you very interesting. They have also never experienced love or sex, but would be willing to learn about it with you.

And for a little more freakish fun. This person is only able to fall in love once, and if that love ends, the experiment ends, he/she is to be terminated upon the experiment ending.

Could you love someone like this?

#1 ArcherySet, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  2. Hot Pink

Well, I don't think it would matter to me if they were genetically engineered, but the part about them only being able to fall in love once would freak me out a bit. If there wasn't that part, I wouldn't mind where they came from. All that would matter to me is the emotional bond we share.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ No for the same reasons above.

That is way too much pressure for one single relationship. And if breaking up wasn't hard enough, now you have to watch them die? Heck no xD

4. castle walls

I agree. That would be WAY too much for me

5. Phoenix91

I agree with what everybody has said before me. Also it would be a bit strange that you grow old and they don't ( since they are genetically perfect). I'm not really sure how I would feel about that, but if the love is strong enough who knows.

6. IanGallagher

The experiment thing? No.

May be late, but didn't hear the age thing - but if they were made to be perfect - I wouldn't care. It's their parents and their parents choices. I don't even know my parents. For all I know they could be saints or equally fucked up. I was partly chosen due to being adopted. It'd be weird for people to not want to date me because I'm adopted. That'd be... grotesque actually in pickiness. So, I kind of see it the same. Fuck sins of the father being visited upon the son. No such thing. Who are parents are has no measure on who we are.

7. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

You misunderstood my silly message. They do age, they just live to be exactly 100.

8. lavajava

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would depend on the connection and emotional bond share, it does not matter how they were created.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Since I don't think we'll ever be able to engineer personality, I'd see no reason not love a genetically engineered person.
    It's all about character and personality for me.
    The idea of someone being genetically engineered is not in any way a problem for me. They can't help it.

10. King

King Guest

I was nodding along the entire time until it got to them only being able to love once...
    That wouldn't be okay. Other then that, yes I'd date someone like that.

11. SkyDiver

I'm positive I could love the personality and be attracted to someone who was genetically engineered.

So yes!

Very interesting question.

12. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is a very awesome question and when i think about it they still have a will of their own so i would probably have no problems with it (=

13. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I think I could too. Keep in mind that this thread is meant to be fun, and to get people asking questions. The idea is not that you would be coupled with a mindless robot. This person is simply someone who came into the world in a non traditional means.

Simply knowing that someone could fall in love with you, and it be permanent is a comfort in itself. Also it could be great fun at parties to show people where your partner came from.

I should have posted this as a pole. Perhaps what I should have asked is "Would you choose to have a partner genetically engineered if you could, and how much would you pay?"

14. Lewis

Sure, I wouldn't mind teaching him the ropes. I mean, aren't we all just genetically engineered, whether that be in a lab or in the womb.

Depends if their personality and looks were up to a good standard! xD (I'm not shallow, really)

15. Kupo!

Kupo! Guest

You know, I would probably not mind it. If this person is a perfect match for me, then why not be in love? The whole "I will die if the love dies" thing is an interesting point, but falling out of love kind of kills a person. TO actually die is scary, but I say why not? The person is already saying they have feelings for you, and you would obviously have feelings for them after a few months of being together. There would be a lot of pressure, and depending on where you are at in your life and if you are ready to be with someone for the rest of your life, its a good thing.

Besides, if they are supposed to be "perfect" then they must be hella good lookin'.
    As long as we dont have "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" happening we are good.

16. Emberstone

I don't like hypotheticals, sir... they are like lieing to your brain!

17. BudderMC

No, strictly because they're described as an "experiment". It's not fair to the people who are loving them, nor the "experiments" themselves.

The way I see it, love should be an issue of "want". The want can grow really really strong, but should never turn into an issue of "need".

18. Just Adam

Might be my pansexual mindset but i see no difference in genetic engineered or born. Your still what makes you human. That is your mind, freewill and a soul.

I envy genetically perfect people as physically superior to myself.

19. RebelD

As long as its love, who cares about the rest!!

20. Vesper

I could love that person, because I'm hopelessly attracted to perfection. I would not want my feelings reciprocated, though, because of the fear that this person would have his/her life terminated after falling out of love with me, and I would never be able to get over not being the "right person".

How is s/he to know who s/he can stay in love with for the rest of his/her life, especially if this person has to learn what love feels like? Would this person be learning about love more from a child's point of view or an adult's? If this person learns from, say, myself, about what love is, but later on feels that there's no chemistry between us, s/he would die without even having felt true love for a person.

What, then, would qualify as falling out of love? If it's based on the feelings of the genetically engineered person, at what point in the thought process does one draw the line between "in love" and "out of love"? If the other person breaks off the relationship, but the genetically engineered person remains in unrequited love, would the latter continue to live until this love fades? If the other person dies before the engineered person reaches 100, would the latter die at the same time because the object of his/her love is dead, or would the lingering feelings of love sustain this person's life?

Come to think of it, even if this person does end up falling and staying in love with one person until the age of 100, this experiment would be incredibly cruel to the subject and the person s/he falls in love with--not to mention extremely unethical--because of the cosmically huge gamble the experimenters took.

#20 Vesper, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012