1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegans/vegitarians

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wallrose, Apr 28, 2012.

1. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are there any vegans here?

I've been thinking for a while about adopting a vegitarian diet, mainly for health reasons. Problem is, meat is so very delicious. I could probably live without meat, for a little while, but I could never live without eggs, cheese or jelly. A life without jelly is a life not lived.

2. Mogget

I've adopted a partially vegan lifestyle. Except when I slip up, as I do now and then, I will only buy dairy products and eggs that I know are from cruelty-free sources, but I will eat food bought by others (provided it wasn't solely for me) that contains dairy, eggs, fish, and sometimes even chicken. The reason I've adopted this policy is because I believe the ethical aspect of animal product use is at the purchase level, i.e. the economic level, rather than at the consumption level.

It's not an easy transition to make. I slip up quite a bit. And when that happens, I take note of it and try to avoid a similar situation in future (I will not, for example, agree to eat out with a friend after 9pm or so in the future--my mistake last night, as all the restaurants that serve vegan food close at 10).

But if you're concerned about health, rather than the ethics of meat consumption, even eliminating red meat will go a long way towards preserving your health, as will limiting your consumption of eggs and cheese. You don't need to go all the way, a reduction will still be good for your body.

3. mischa91

I'm vegan. I can't eat dairy for health reasons, eggs are slimy and nasty and i've never cared for jelly. I do miss cheese and have been trying out cheeses from other sources.

4. lavajava

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few year ago I started baking with vegan cookie and cakes, I like it so much that I started doing one meal a week that was vegan.

I used this Vegan Recipes - 101 Cookbooks website to get some ideas and make some changes to make them my own.

I also got this book a few year ago it was awesome How It All Vegan! by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer.

hope this helps.

5. super confused

I'm vegetarian, but I want to be a vegan eventually. I saw a documentary called "Food Inc." and I felt so bad for the animals that I just can't even see or smell meat without feeling kind of sick. I don't even miss meat, never had meat cravings.

6. TheGreyMan

For the ethical reasons, I'd love to become one but I just can't sacrifice meat, especially being generally malnourished due to stomach problems in the first place...

I definitely commend anyone with the willpower to do it though. You're awesome.

7. ameliawesome

yes. and there is plenty of vegan jelly.

8. Well, I don't eat meat except for fish and sometimes chicken, but that's more of a health thing.

9. jargon

Well, this is timely. I just so happen to be debating on vegetarianism for a class next week!

Anyone have a good philosophical account of why we shouldn't eat meat?

10. TheGreyMan

I guess you could say that not necessarily sentient but emotional life(Animals pretty clearly have emotions, too - Maybe not as complex as us, but they're definitely there.) is very valuable and shouldn't be sacrificed for the needs of others. On the other hand, it's just the natural cycle of things. It's not as if we're doing something terrible and unnatural - it's been this way since the dawn of man.

11. ameliawesome

i can't justify consuming things that i could not replace. if i eat a tomato, i can grow another tomato. i nurture the plant, the plant nourishes my body. i can't grow another cow. i can't make honey. etc.

12. TheGreyMan

Technically you could breed a cow.

And, now with technology expanding, you could actually clone a cow or produce one via artificial insemination.

Not trying to be mean or anything. I'm but playing the Devil's Advocate.

13. ameliawesome

breeding a cow for death and nurturing a plant that grows on and on are two completely different things.

14. TheGreyMan

You do have a point.

I think we're also almost at the point where we can "grow" artificial meat as well.

15. ameliawesome

yeah, which would reduce the killing of animals, but it sure freaks me out!

meaning that, while i hope others can enjoy it, i will stick with veggies and such.

16. TheGreyMan

Oh yeah, it's weird as hell, but there is much less suffering.

Of course, that leads to a lot more debate as to whether or not this artificially-grown stuff is the same quality and maybe organic meat marts, too.

17. ameliawesome

which is funny because how many poor quality foods do people consume for the sake of taste, yet many would throw down the "IS IT SAFE?!?!" argument first.

18. Mogget

If you want philosophical arguments about eating meat, just Google Peter Singer. He's the philosopher that broke the ground of the animal liberation movement.

19. TheGreyMan

Yep~

honestly you can't get me to stop liking McDonald's cheeseburgers though I don't care how bad they are

20. ameliawesome

exactly. honestly i was once addicted to mcdonald's cheeseburgers. i called them crackburgers.