1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohh yeah its almost pride time

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jessica816, May 1, 2012.

1. Jessica816

So its almost pride festival time yet again...I'm excited and really enjoy going to my local pride festival. Last year was the first year I went and fell in love. I know not everyone enjoys going and that's fine..For me pride is about having a good time and just relaxing and being comfortable with myself. I can wear as much rainbow colored stuff I want and walk around having a drink and enjoy the booths and shows...This year I kinda know what to expect, and all be walking with the parade. I bought some of the Legalize gay shirts and tye-dyed them. I'm exited!!

Is anyone else looking forward to pride this year??

2. Just Adam

I look forward to it in the sense that im happy for people who enjoy pride. The sheer amount of stereotyping pride tends to embrace kind of restricts the idea of me enjoying one as i tend to feel outcasted at such things.

3. Jim1454

I am - sort of.

There's a 'professional pride' gala here in Toronto that is a huge networking / mix and mingle / finger foods and drinks event at one of the downtown hotels here. That's always nice to go to. And 'The Village' is always much busier that time of year, which is nice to see for the local businesses. PLUS Toronto is hosting 'world pride' in 2014 so it's kind of like we're practicing for that.

I don't usually go for the parade though. I don't generally like parades. But for work, I've committed to walk in the parade if others want to. So I guess I will. It just seems like every year it's a million degrees (exageration) and there are a million people there (not really an exageration) and I just don't see myself enjoying it. But there's a first time for everything.

4. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Anyone live in the UK? I don't really how it all works around here :slight_smile: never seen a parade anywhere near where I live.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. GayJay

The UK has a lot of pride festivals. Ive never been to one, thinking on going this year though. They all start around the start of August. Manchester's one looks really good. You should go to one.:slight_smile:

6. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Hmm, if my mum is less denial-y about everything by then, then YES, I so will :slight_smile:

Ok, now I'm buzzing ;D

7. Curly

This year its gonna be my first time at a PRIDE event and I am OUT with all my friends here. and its gonna be TORONTO pride (!) I don't actually know what to expect, but I'd be happy to just see all the gay folk around.

8. Lark

Lark Guest

London's hosting WorldPride this year and I would totally go if I hadn't already promised to chill with my BFF Aslan. :frowning2: ah well. I might force my bi friend to attend for me though. -evil plan forming-

Hope you guys all enjoy your Pride parades and parties! :grin:

9. TheAMan

I've never gone to one but I might go this year.

10. King

King Guest

A lesbian I go to school with was talking about a Pride parade today... I'm not out to her, but she invited me to go - I told her it wasn't my thing (because it truly isn't) and she said, "Hm, yeah, I'm sure that's 'not your thing'." I'm hoping she meant she knew that I'm gay :K

11. Jessica816

Jim1454- actually me and a friend were talking about coming up there for world pride in 2014. I'm kinda excited about it but its not for another 2 years lol

12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I signed up to volunteer at the Pride festival in my home state's capital. I've never been to one before, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

13. needshelp

not even going to lie but i would come out even if it wouldn't be the best thing to do for myself right now or against how i feel inside just to go to a gay pride parade. i really want to go to the pride parade in nyc this year being that i don't know what the future may hold. you know, that to me would be the shiznit.

but i have to do what's best for the moment and skipping out of gay pride and having to move in the closet until i'm ready to come out is the best thing to do. i'm not going to push it. besides the wheels are turning anyway and i'll pretty much be doing much better when everything is said and done.

if you are going to pride, hope you enjoy it.

#13 needshelp, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As every years ince I came out, I seem to have long-standing commitments right when the local prides happen. I really should learn to plan a year ahead...

In particular, I'll be at a friend's stag party. Which means I'll effectively be straight-priding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had wanted to go to a pridefest for years but was way too afraid that someone might find out,
    and also of the fact I would be going by myself - I thought I'd very uncomfortable being
    alone/single there.

Well last June I finally decided I was going to finally "just go". Originally I planned to go
    on Saturday, I went out to a couple nearby garage-sales in the morning, but felt a headache
    coming on so I went home (original plan was to hit a few garage sales then go straight to
    pridefest). I ended spending the rest of the day in bed with that headache and feeling sick :frowning2:
    That evening I was both kinda sad & upset that I didn't get to go. The pridefest is actually
    2 days but I never planned to go sunday (as I try to avoid stuff on Sundays...and that Sunday
    evening was fathers day so there was family plans) Well sunday morning I felt fine, and made
    the decision that "I missed yesterday I'm going today"

I gotta admit I was alittle scared when I got in the car & headed for the light-rail station
    to go into the city/downtown (was a bit excighted too) By the time I was on the 'train'
    pretty much all that fear was gone. And when I acutally got to pride itself, any fear I had
    was gone the moment I saw the crowd. (the thing with that is I'm fairly shy so I'd be nervous
    around crowds especially being alone...its weird, but there was none of that I felt like I
    fit right in)
    :wow:
    Needless to say it was pretty damn cool. I was glad I finally went. I also haven't seen so
    many people in one place for a long time!

I ended up staying longer than I'd planned..then found the light-rail was involved in an
    accident so it wasn't running & they were sending out busses. I got home later than I
    planned. (luckily I wasn't late for the family/fathers-day dinner plans)

My mother questioned where I'd been all day and I just made up some lame excuse.

I was also really tired & worn out form walking around/being outside for hours LOL

Spent the next few evenings messing around with the videos & pics I took.

-----------
    Sorry for the long post but...well there's the 'story' of my 1st pridefest.
    One interesting thing is I'v always felt alittle more open/different since that day.

I went to another city's pridefest in august (much smaller than the spring one but still
    pretty cool)

-----------
    Hopeing I'll be able to go again this year :slight_smile:
    Because hell yeah I wanna go...
    Might be somewhat pathetic, but I've been looking forward to it for awhile now...

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm hoping that I can go to pride this year. If I can go, it will be my first one.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This will be my first pride. I am going to wear a purple skirt, pink shirt, and blue socks. This is happening.

Not sure where you live, but there should be pride in London this year.

#17 Pret Allez, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  18. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan on going and...i don't know how weird this is really but because its right around my birthday and this will be my first year officially out to everyone my family decided it would be cool to take me ^^ so i get to go to the nearest pride and i don't have to pay for anything. also this will be my first year to go so I'm super excited.

19. aeva

Oh absolutely! NYC pride is insanity, it's amazing!

20. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @fatalmoon91 .. thats really cool of your family!
    but they charge for pride in your area :eek: ??