1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A calculus problem!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, May 6, 2012.

1. BudderMC

I never thought I'd be the one to ask for homework help here, but I really hate math, so here goes.

I'm doing differentials. Pretty simple separable DEs, or linear first-order DEs. I can do the integration to solve no problem, but I can't seem to rearrange this equation into either of the following forms:

dy * f(y) = dx * g(x)

or

dy/dx + P(x) * y = f(x)

where dy/dx = y' = the derivative of y with respect to x

So yeah, if anyone could give rearranging this a shot (really, you don't need to know calculus to do this, it's more algebra...) I'd appreciate it. I've given it a good 3-4 shots now, and I'm stumped. The problem I'm looking at is:

dy/dx = (x^2 - y^2)/(x * y)

Thanks for anyone who tries!

2. Harve

I have finished maths until September. My mind is accordingly stumped. Sorry for the lack of help!

3. kellymporta

Why don't you try wolframalpha.com? Maybe all you need is to put dy/dx = (x^2 - y^2)/(x * y) in the input box.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I assume you're just trying to find a formula for y?

Wolfram Alpha is a pretty powerful website, but I tried plugging this problem into it and it didn't give me a very nice looking solution. However, I did manage to reduce it to a simple integration problem, no differential equations required. Take the formula you already have, dy/dx = (x^2 - y^2)/(x * y), and carry out the division. This gives you dy/dx = x/y - y/x. Now just integrate both sides with respect to x (which allows you to treat the y as a constant, like you'd do with, say, a 2). That will leave you wish a y on the left, and a formula with x's and y's on the right. From there it's just algebra to isolate the y. I leave the rest to you; my tutoring sensibilities won't let me give it all away. :slight_smile:

5. Chickzak

Maybe expand the brackets and differentiate y in respect to x
    So

dy = x.y(x-x^2)

. actually, couldnt you integrate in some way and then simplify it. =/ Maths sucks sometimes. Let us know hwo you worked it out, hopefully if you doo xD

6. BudderMC

I did try Wolfram-ing it before I posted this thread, but like you said, it gave me a nasty answer... and really, I don't learn anything by cheating (except the lesson that tells me I'll do terrible on the test for cheating on the assignments xD). Anyway, the prof gave out a hint recently that said to do a substitution, so I followed through with that and solved it (let v = y^2, dv = 2ydy) just fine. That was basically what Wolfram did, but at least I did it myself?

Honestly, it's that "in-the-box" thinking that screws me over for math. I would've never thought to use substitution outside of direct integration. Durrrr.

I tried integrating it like you said, but I didn't get the correct answer. It's possible I just integrated incorrectly or didn't do the algebra properly. When I get back home (with my scanner), if I post up my work would you mind telling me if/where I went wrong? Unless it's simply a case of you really can't solve the problem that way.

Regardless, thanks everyone for the help. :slight_smile:

7. shy

shy

sry for this bold answer, but it's already 02:38 am here.

separation won't work here unless you use a substitution.

dy/dx = (x^2 -y^2)/xy = (x^2 - y^2)*(x^-1 y^-1)

expand brackets

dy/dx = x^(2-1)*y^-1 - y^(2-1)*x^-1 = x/y - y/x

now you'll have to substitute one of the terms x/y or y/x with a new variable v to separate the DE. I can try and give you a more explicite answer when I had some sleep :wink: