1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone a gay doctor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rx79g, May 7, 2012.

1. rx79g

I really want to be a doctor and all, but I'm a little worried honestly because from what I have read the medical profession is not in general very kind to gays. I wanted to know if any of you out there are doctors, and if so how is it? More specifically were you out in med school? Was there a lot of discrimination? (more so at least than can be expected anywhere) I'm just worried that trying to become a doctor as a gay man may be just about one of the hardest things I could do. Also, unfortunately I'm assuming pediatrics are probably not going to be the best area (which is fine, I can't stand kids), but how are other specialties? Is there more descrimination in some than others? It's not like I intend to tell everyone I'm gay as soon as I walk into for first class/ day of residency or whatever, but I would like to not lie about it ever.

2. ThatCoopKid

I was going to go into the medical fields before I switched and became a film student (big switch huh? lol), but I haven't heard anything about gays being frowned upon in the field. I honestly don't think it'll be that big of a problem. As you said, it's not like you plan on announcing it to everyone you meet, and most people won't bother to ask about your sexuality when they meet you anyway. If you give them no good reason to ask, then you won't have to tell (if you don't want to), therefore solving your problem. But, like I said, I seriously doubt they'll ask you if you're gay or not when you first meet them. And even if they do, most people don't or won't care.

3. Lewis

I always wanted to be a doctor, I was going to change to science not long ago and try to pursue it, but it's too much work, especially when it's not guaranteed that I'd get anything out of it at the end.

It's definitely something I may do in the distant future as a mature student. There's a lot of gay doctors out there, med students are probably as accepting or homophobic as any other kind of students.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm quite sure you're going to be fine, especially since like you said you're not going to just announce it to everyone. BESIDES, i don't see why a profession that has to help all people would be discriminatory against allowing all people from becoming a doctor.

So do it. And don't let ANYONE stop you.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite a lot of the members at my university's LGBT society are training to become doctors, nurses, teachers, social workers etc. We speak about our courses and interests quite a bit at meetings, and none of them have ever given any indication that their sexuality has made their career aspirations any more difficult etc. :slight_smile:

I guess it will likely vary based on location and those who you're working with, but it should (hopefully) be completely irrelevant. There are always going to be idiots no matter where you go, so just go with your aspirations and see where you end up. :grin:

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear that stereotype all the time (that the medical field is somehow not "gay friendly"). I'm befuddled by it since there are numerous studies showing that level of education tends to be directly correlated with acceptance toward LGBT persons.

I can't say much anecdotally of an actual med school environment - all of the pre-meds I've come across were very kind and accepting, though.

7. fireworks

fireworks Guest

My dad's a doctor, and like half his doctor friends are gay.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Follow your dreams :slight_smile:

8. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny thing is, I plan to be a doctor when I grow up.

Anyway, like others have said, it probably depends on location, and I don't see why the medical field would be different when it comes to homophobia than any other field... Just go out and do it! Nothing's stopping you! :grin:

9. TraceElement

Honestly? I'd be a little scared if my doctor discriminated against any kind of person... In my opinion, if a doctor discriminates it clouds their judgement on the best course of treatment which is contraindicated by the hippocratic oath they take.

I have no formal training in becoming a doctor or nurse, but given my life experiences, this rings true for me.

10. BornAnew

I'm in med school and in the process of being out completely. I don't think it'll cause any problems. For example one of the most popular people in our year is gay. On a professional level...when I spoke to some of the tutors at my med school they actually said there is a good support network for LGBT doctors now. Also I don't think it should affect which medical branch you decide later on because the patients aren't going to know & I'm hoping colleagues will be really accepting.

#10 BornAnew, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know quite a few gay medical professionals... doctors, RNs, nurse practitioners, chiropractors, etc. I've not heard of any particular difficulties any of them had, but then most of the ones I know are in their 20s and 30s, so it may have been much more difficult for people of previous generations.