1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APA Format Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bubblesh204, May 8, 2012.

1. bubblesh204

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So for this paper in World Studies we have to write it in APA and I'm kind of lost on how to do it. How do you get both the header and the page number at the top of the page? How does the whole In-text citation work with all of my sources being websites? And how do I do the reference sheet? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Mogget

In-text citations for web addresses follow the same pattern as anything else: (Last name of writer, date). No page number, but apart from that, everything's the same.

3. Ridiculous

When I was doing it two years ago, the in-text citation for a website was in this format:
    (name of organisation running the website , year that it was published [or n.d. if you can't find when it was uploaded] , the part of the page where the cited info is)

Then in the references section at the end, the format is:
    Name of the organisation running the website . (full date if possible that it was published [or n.d. if you can't find when it was uploaded]) . Title of cited webpage . Retrieved Date you accessed the webpage from website URL

So for example, one of my in-text citations was:
    and the corresponding reference at the end was:

The reference sheet is pretty much just a big list of entries like that, one for every source. If a single reference takes more than one line, then everything past the first line should be tabbed in once.

Putting a page number into your header/footer will depend on what software you are using. In word you can go go Insert>Page Number and there are a few options of where and how to put it, however it may be easier to manually go and type them in once you have finished (when I used the automatic page numbers it was difficult as I had a few pages at the top that weren't supposed to be counted, which resulted in the numbers all being wrong).

#3 Ridiculous, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  4. Paper Heart

5. BudderMC

If you're using a newer edition of Microsoft Word (or the Mac equivalent I assume does the same), say 2007+ I think, you can use the references tab to build your own bank of references. You basically fill in the fields as it asks you (author, dates, etc.), and then you can do things with the references (produce in-text citations, bibliographies, etc.).

It's super convenient, and it's like using a citation generator online but is much more consistent. And the references you create stay on Word even when you aren't using that specific document; makes it useful for classes where you have the same source for multiple assignments.

Trust me, it's not too hard to learn, but it saves sooooooo much time in the long run. :grin: